CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

This is also very true. It's probably more likely Golden State trade Kuminga at 7 rather than letting him fall to us at 8.

So OKC is the disruptor of the draft this year.....could be to our advantage as we have that pick 8 and like you all are saying, there are numerous scenarios.

FO got to prepare for this.....it happens every year.

“Love for Scottie Barnes has snowballed to the point scouts and executives expect he's going in the top five of the NBA draft.

Sources tell Bleacher Report the Orlando Magic are a good possibility for Barnes at No. 5, and if not, the Oklahoma City Thunder would take him at No. 6. Rivals teams are assuming the Toronto Raptors will consider him at No. 4, especially if they have interest in bringing back Kyle Lowry (making Jalen Suggs less desirable). 

There is a belief Barnes has star potential, even if it's the unconventional type. Scouts see zero downside and only unique upside tied to his 6'8", 225-pound frame, 7'2¾" wingspan, ball-handling and passing for playmaking, and surefire defense.”

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2945858-2021-nba-draft-buzz-sources-say-scottie-barnes-could-go-top-5

Just imagining a world where Cleveland picks Kuminga, Toronto picks Barnes and we get Evan Mobley at 5... 

An Isaac/Mobley front court is best defense in the NBA levels of potential. 

Everyone should accept now that the pick is going to be Barnes... and that’s irrespective of the recent reports.

He has the exact physical profile this FO drools over. All of the intel about his coachability, intangibles, and being a good teammate will be glowing. He is rumored to interview extremely well. Mose wants an aggressive, communicative defense and Barnes is the most aggressive, communicative defender in the draft. If we stay at 5 and Suggs doesn’t fall, it is a lock. 

2 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Everyone should accept now that the pick is going to be Barnes... and that’s irrespective of the recent reports.

He has the exact physical profile this FO drools over. All of the intel about his coachability, intangibles, and being a good teammate will be glowing. He is rumored to interview extremely well. Mose wants an aggressive, communicative defense and Barnes is the most aggressive, communicative defender in the draft. If we stay at 5 and Suggs doesn’t fall, it is a lock. 

I agree with you

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

According to Kevin O Connor at The Ringer:

"League sources say the Magic are high on Florida State forward Scottie Barnes with the fifth pick, while the Thunder prefer Barnes or UConn guard James Bouknight with the sixth selection."

We never leak stuff like this so it's more likely to be false than true in my opinion.

EDIT: Source: 

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/2021/7/16/22579643/nba-draft-houston-rockets-cade-cunningham-jalen-green-evan-mobley?__twitter_impression=true 

That’s not always true. I believe we knew we were drafting Isaac far in advance.

If you watch their mock draft special, the Ringer guys are completely sold on Cunningham and Mobley being superstars. They think Green and Suggs are then a tier below them. Interesting stuff to me.

21 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

That’s not always true. I believe we knew we were drafting Isaac far in advance.

That's not how I remembered it but I wasn't as plugged in that year.

Here’s an article about the 10 biggest draft day steals over the last 10 years. After reading it, I believe WeltHam absolutely have to hit on this year’s picks or some of the young guns we’ve already picked up or drafted. And when I say hit, I mean at least one or two need to become all-stars.

Between our picks this year, past draft picks, and guys for whom we’ve traded, I count 9 first round picks that will be on our roster that have been drafted since 2016: Fultz, Isaac, Bamba, Carter, Okeke, Anthony, Hampton, pick five, and pick eight. 

https://www.nba.com/news/10-biggest-nba-draft-steals-last-10-years