CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

I recently decided to sit down and watch some full game/all possessions videos from multiple games for both Kuminga and Barnes, just to get what I felt would be a more rounded perspective on their games as a whole (we already know their strengths and weaknesses,) and these were my biggest takeaways:

- Barnes has next to zero half-court offense at this time. Maybe the spacing in the NBA opens up some driving lanes for him, cause he really struggled unless he was already in transition. 
- For every nice flash Kuminga showed, he had at least one (or two) equally bad miss or turnover, but he’s already much better at driving and working out of the post than I realized. 

5 minutes ago, O_SteveO said:

I recently decided to sit down and watch some full game/all possessions videos from multiple games for both Kuminga and Barnes, just to get what I felt would be a more rounded perspective on their games as a whole (we already know their strengths and weaknesses,) and these were my biggest takeaways:

- Barnes has next to zero half-court offense at this time. Maybe the spacing in the NBA opens up some driving lanes for him, cause he really struggled unless he was already in transition. 
- For every nice flash Kuminga showed, he had at least one (or two) equally bad miss or turnover, but he’s already much better at driving and working out of the post than I realized. 

I like both Barnes and Kuminga.  But hands down without a doubt Kuminga is the pick at 5 if he is available.  He reclassified and played as a high schooler in the G league.   Does not turn 19 until October.  People are missing the boat on him.  Yes he is raw but he has time to develop.  

1 hour ago, og magic fan said:

I like both Barnes and Kuminga.  But hands down without a doubt Kuminga is the pick at 5 if he is available.  He reclassified and played as a high schooler in the G league.   Does not turn 19 until October.  People are missing the boat on him.  Yes he is raw but he has time to develop.  

I’ve gone back and forth some, because I really like how good of a passer and defender Barnes already is, plus his tremendous hustle and attitude suggests that he should keep getting better at (hopefully) everything. That said, I tend to agree with you as of now. The ability to already get to the rim nearly at will against grown men is translatable on day one, and probably the tiebreaker for me. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, O_SteveO said:

I’ve gone back and forth some, because I really like how good of a passer and defender Barnes already is, plus his tremendous hustle and attitude suggests that he should keep getting better at (hopefully) everything. That said, I tend to agree with you as of now. The ability to already get to the rim nearly at will against grown men is translatable on day one, and probably the tiebreaker for me. 

He has high level shot making ability also.  I get he did not shoot that well in the G league but the mechanics are not broken.  Another year of development and he would almost definitely be a top 3 pick next year.  We can now possibly get him at 5.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, og magic fan said:

He has high level shot making ability also.  I get he did not shoot that well in the G league but the mechanics are not broken.  Another year of development and he would almost definitely be a top 3 pick next year.  We can now possibly get him at 5.  

The weird thing about his shooting is that his stroke at least looks fine and looks to be the same consisted motion, but some shots are perfects swishes and some ricochet off the backboard on the opposite side of the rim. But like you said, he’s very young. 

My dream next year is Fultz, K. Johnson, Minga, (Yes that will be his nickname calling it right now) , Hampton,  Isaac,  Carter, Bamba, Okeke, Anthony.   Wow that could possibly be 9 deep of young talented players.  Along with Ross, Harris, draft capital, salary cap room, and potential young players for trades.  We are really set up for a great future let's hope they make it work!

5 minutes ago, O_SteveO said:

The weird thing about his shooting is that his stroke at least looks fine and looks to be the same consisted motion, but some shots are perfects swishes and some ricochet off the backboard on the opposite side of the rim. But like you said, he’s very young. 

I don't understand Magic fans disdain for this guy.  He is amazing.  So we didn't get in the top 4 of perceived prospects.  Get over it!

33 minutes ago, og magic fan said:

My dream next year is Fultz, K. Johnson, Minga, (Yes that will be his nickname calling it right now) , Hampton,  Isaac,  Carter, Bamba, Okeke, Anthony.   Wow that could possibly be 9 deep of young talented players.  Along with Ross, Harris, draft capital, salary cap room, and potential young players for trades.  We are really set up for a great future let's hope they make it work!

The problem with that group is going to be scoring.  Look for long stretches where no one can put the ball in the basket.  Spacing would remain a terrible problem.  Kind of the same thing we’ve seen most of the past 10 years.  

22 minutes ago, og magic fan said:

I don't understand Magic fans disdain for this guy.  He is amazing.  So we didn't get in the top 4 of perceived prospects.  Get over it!

I’ll be honest, I was pretty upset on lottery night, and I totally relate to not being thrilled with the idea of another high draft pick that we hope will learn how to shoot, but it’s the spot we’re in right now. 

36 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

The problem with that group is going to be scoring.  Look for long stretches where no one can put the ball in the basket.  Spacing would remain a terrible problem.  Kind of the same thing we’ve seen most of the past 10 years.  

Maybe or maybe not.  Let's not get bogged down in the details because this is not going to happen overnight.  I have been a die hard fan since 89 so my perspective is not going to be tainted by a sample size of the last 10 years.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, og magic fan said:

Maybe or maybe not.  Let's not get bogged down in the details because this is not going to happen overnight.  I have been a die hard fan since 89 so my perspective is not going to be tainted by a sample size of the last 10 years.  

I am honestly hoping that this rebuild isn't rushed to the point where if it's not obvious that we have something to build around, then we continue to change things up until there is. We got stuck on the merry go round with inadequate talent before. I'd really hope this management sees it the way we do.

5 minutes ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

I am honestly hoping that this rebuild isn't rushed to the point where if it's not obvious that we have something to build around, then we continue to change things up until there is. We got stuck on the merry go round with inadequate talent before. I'd really hope this management sees it the way we do.

So do I.  I just hope we will not overpay for good or kinda good like we did with Biyombo or Fournier etc...  That cap space is precious so don't waste it!  I don't care if we have to lose a player or two instead of overpaying.  Hopefully they will have a plan to maximize all of our assets with their contract time tables.