Odin

Trade Thread

7 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I’m in the way minority apparently but I don’t want Conley or Jrue. Wouldn’t be mad if we got either for a non-major piece but they don’t mesh up with the timeline of our team. By the time someone like JI or Bamba are hitting their stride Conley would be 34 Jrue 32. 

Those guys are both short term fixes. I want a long term fix to where we aren’t having a Pg discussion 2 or 3 years from now. 

I'm sorry. It just feels weird to be like "I don't want this point guard because we'll have to find a new one in 3 years" when best case scenario we might have to find a new point guard in 4 years if we sign one in free agency. It's there really a material difference? The age of "we're getting this guy for 7 years" is over unless you're talking about a guy on a rookie contract. 

I'll take a great player now and figure out the rest later. Our entire team building philosophy should be get as good as possible in 4 year chunks. Assemble the most talent possible. If not for taking the next step it's at least another piece to throw in a deal the next time a Kawhi scenario happens

Just now, ?4thewin said:

I'm sorry. It just feels weird to be like "I don't want this point guard because we'll have to find a new one in 3 years" when best case scenario we might have to find a new point guard in 4 years if we sign one in free agency. It's there really a material difference? The age of "we're getting this guy for 7 years" is over unless you're talking about a guy on a rookie contract. 

I'll take a great player now and figure out the rest later. Our entire team building philosophy should be get as good as possible in 4 year chunks. Assemble the most talent possible. If not for taking the next step it's at least another piece to throw in a deal the next time a Kawhi scenario happens

What he said.

Just now, ?4thewin said:

Those guys are great players? 

Again, I said I’m not against those guys. I do however throwup in my mouth thinking about giving up Bamba for one. I can’t emphasize enough how stupid that would be. The fact that anyone on here is cool with doing that make me question a lot of things. 

If we can get Conley without giving up BIG sure I’m for it. No reason not to be. He will greatly improve us. But giving up one of those guys when we aren’t winning anything anyways is stupid. 

People need to get over the fear of trading people because of the Harris and Oladipo trades. Trades and free agency are the way most teams get better. Luck in the draft is the other way, we had our chance.

The Harris trade was the one that was hasty, we needed a point guard and Skiles didn't like Tobias. The Dipo trade is just a tragedy, mostly because he would have been a good face of the franchise. Don't judge it in this situation, it was a mistake then everyone knew it, the media, the league, the fans. It doesn't count. 

Use those two players as examples. They were both traded to other teams. One team got better, one didn't but did acquire an all-star.

Players are currency, use them to get better or more well rounded. Trades themselves are not bad, making the wrong trade is bad. We have to start being the winner, the team who makes a few good small moves, before the big one.

3 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

People need to get over the fear of trading people because of the Harris and Oladipo trades. Trades and free agency are the way most teams get better. Luck in the draft is the other way, we had our chance.

The Harris trade was the one that was hasty, we needed a point guard and Skiles didn't like Tobias. The Dipo trade is just a tragedy, mostly because he would have been a good face of the franchise. Don't judge it in this situation, it was a mistake then everyone knew it, the media, the league, the fans. It doesn't count. 

Use those two players as examples. They were both traded to other teams. One team got better, one didn't but did acquire an all-star.

Players are currency, use them to get better or more well rounded. Trades themselves are not bad, making the wrong trade is bad. We have to start being the winner, the team who makes a few good small moves, before the big one.

Exactly. A perpetual rebuild happens because you collect prospects and none become superstars. We have no superstar.

Just now, HeHateMe said:

Those guys are great players? 

Again, I said I’m not against those guys. I do however throwup in my mouth thinking about giving up Bamba for one. I can’t emphasize enough how stupid that would be. The fact that anyone on here is cool with doing that make me question a lot of things. 

If we can get Conley without giving up BIG sure I’m for it. No reason not to be. He will greatly improve us. But giving up one of those guys when we aren’t winning anything anyways is stupid. 

There's no way in hell we should give up anything besides our pick for Conley. 

But jrue is basically kemba. If kemba is great, jrue is great. Jrue is a month younger than kemba. He'll make 30% less than kemba. The difference between their scoring ability jrue makes up for in being a better passer and defender. 

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

But jrue is basically kemba. If kemba is great, jrue is great. Jrue is a month younger than kemba. He'll make 30% less than kemba. The difference between their scoring ability jrue makes up for in being a better passer and defender. 

Plus we could play around with staggering him at 2 guard for more shooting in certain lineups. 

37 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Jrue is like a year and half younger then Conley. If it takes Bamba to get Jrue then it’s a super hard pass for me. I can’t reiterate that enough. Like that type of move would end all hope for me. 

So you give up your best prospect for a guy who will be 29 next season when our team is no where near winning anything? That’s a bad way to think. Super nearsighted. Jrue isn’t putting us anywhere near title contention. We aren’t 1 player away. 

I’m not against Jrue but giving up Bamba makes no sense. It would be a disaster move IMO. And if that’s what it takes to obtain him then you look elsewhere. I’d rather just sign someone this summer. 

Not to mention that move means we are resigning Vuch which makes my stomach turn over. 

We disagree on Bamba’s value and Jrue’s value. I have Bamba behind Gordon and Isaac, and I have Jrue as the second best pg in the East (if he were to come).

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah remember to keep the eye on the prize. We just want to win. We need better guard play, period. 

Look at the Nets, still winning with all those injuries. Because they took a chance on Russell and it's working out. Remember 2 months ago you guys didn't want to lose anyone for  Russell? 

Ok lets have some fun. Let's say we traded any one player from our team 2 months ago for Russell. Doesn't matter your choice. If Russell was here, hitting 4th quarter shots, putting up 30 point games and we were winning just a little bit more, how would you feel? 

Doesn't matter who was gone if everyone else left was playing better and we knew we had a  point guard the next 4 years. I'm not even trying to be specific about Russell, just using him as an example because half the board didn't want him a month ago. Not if we had to lose something. Everybody is afraid of losing something from a team that really has nothing. 

If Russell were traded to us 40 days ago, or whenever it was when they extended Dinwiddie, i couldn't care which person on the Magic went the other way.

Because right now we would be a more well rounded team. That's the goal. Get better, have a real team. 

The whole point of my rant are the people not wanting Conley or Jrue. If we can finally start winning, take a chance, do something. Nobody is untouchable on this team.

Not one player, if we get better. 

39 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Woah, you're telling me you wouldn't trade for a 30 year old backup point guard on an expiring contact who doesn't really help you achieve anything this year and you wouldn't resign this summer?

Shocking I know :)

“We just want to win” is the mentality that lands you Biz and DJ and Fournier. 

Also I’ve never said nothing is untouchable. I am however not trading who IMO has the highest upside on this team for a guy who will be 29 next year. Which in turn means we are locking back in with Vuch. 

Getting bounced in the first round will get old quickly but apparently as long as we win enough games it will appease you people that just want to win now with no end goal. That’ll be great.