Sign in to follow this  
The Neighborhood Bully

Gamethread: Kings at Magic

22 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

Are these true?

Yes, afraid so.  And defense is not great either with defensive rating of 109.6, tied for 18th.  

The good news is that these stats still can shift a lot since they’re based on so few games.  One good game and we could move up a bunch.  

7 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah. Though he just repeated the same thing multiple times pretty much. 

Yeah I noticed that. I'm still a optimist at this point. After 15 games or so we shall see much more of a pattern and be able to take more from it all

7 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Yes, afraid so.  And defense is not great either with defensive rating of 109.6, tied for 18th.  

The good news is that these stats still can shift a lot since they’re based on so few games.  One good game and we could move up a bunch.  

It's also important to remember we've currently played the second strongest schedule in the league.

1 minute ago, Jay Magic said:

Yeah I noticed that. I'm still a optimist at this point. After 15 games or so we shall see much more of a pattern and be able to take more from it all

I'm not sure there's reason for optimism. There's a lot of things that indicate we're not as bad as the numbers say this season but also a lot of habits we see creeping up that have been around for years. 

So, assuming nothing changes, our offense will definitely get better because we can reasonably expect Fournier and Augustin to shoot better. We'll win more games because we'll start playing worse teams but I don't know if we'll be appreciably different than the last 4 years because problems remain. 33 wins is more wins but is it really any different?

The main positive year over year differences I see are rebounding, blocked shots, and fouling (we foul the least in the league). Maybe that means something. Maybe it doesn't.

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

Realistically between now and Friday we might shuffle the rotation. That's the only what now answer that we can reasonably project. We need to make a trade but I'm not sure there's a decent trade out there that's not another team trying to screw us. 

I feel like just grabbing a guy who can shoot or a guy who can score even if slightly inefficiently would help a bunch. If we go the shooter route I can't imagine a rotational shooter cost much. If we go the scorer route it may be a bit more difficult. I'm not even sure who that guy is but someone like Lou Williams or Ben Gordon type. Those kind of guys should be obtainable right?  

The one really interesting thing I've found today is Bamba is only behind McGee, boban, Jarrett Allen, and Brook Lopez for contested shots per 36. He's either 6th or 8th in block percentage depending on how you want to set minute limits. He's 12th in rim protection numbers. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

I feel like just grabbing a guy who can shoot or a guy who can score even if slightly inefficiently would help a bunch. If we go the shooter route I can't imagine a rotational shooter cost much. If we go the scorer route it may be a bit more difficult. I'm not even sure who that guy is but someone like Lou Williams or Ben Gordon type. Those kind of guys should be obtainable right?  

I don't think scorers are just available. I think internal improvement for offense is more feasible between now and mid December when the trade market opens. 

We could probably get D'Angelo Russell for Simmons and a top 5 protected pick but I'm not sure if that's destroying our future to survive the present. 

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

The main positive year over year differences I see are rebounding, blocked shots, and fouling (we foul the least in the league). Maybe that means something. Maybe it doesn't.

And that’s why I was a bit more optimistic coming into this year compared to previous.  My thought was that if our young guys with big wingspans would play hard on defense every night, we’d at least be competitive and fun to watch.  So far that’s not really happening consistently though.  I’m not exactly sure why not, but I hope it changes.  It may require putting more energy/defense guys into the starting line up.