Bauncey Chillups

2019 NBA Draft Thread

3 minutes ago, 3rd Quarter Collapse said:

Porter Jr, NAW, Thybulle. Thybulle has the best defense and length, Porter Jr has the best offensive ability and potential, and NAW is a compromise between the two.

Thybulle and Kevin Porter are ok but not really a 16 pick talent. No way you pick them at 16. You go best talent available if NAW is not available. I like thybulle above Porter but I still like Herro above those two. My opinion.  

15 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

Can you elaborate on our philosophy? 

I mean, we need offense. We need shooters and we currently have none.

Like you said, they need to play eventually. Can’t keep drafting SF/PF because they are long and tall and likely good defenders. 

Two way players with positional size and length so they're able to switch and defend more than one position. 

Evan is a shooter. Evan is killing us this series because they get him switched on to Kawhi or siakam constantly. Evan can only defend shooting guards most of the time. 

Danny Green is a shooter. Danny Green can defend 3 positions. He isn't hitting any shots but he's still extremely valuable as he shut down Augustin but also isn't a complete sieve once Gordon gets that mismatch. 

So Clarke can defend multiple positions definitely. Langford has the length to defend 2s, 3s, and smaller 4s. Porter can defend 2s and 3s in theory. Little can defend 3s and 4s definitely and was often considered a 4 position defender in high school but gaining weight sapped some of that lateral quickness. NAW can defend ones and twos and probably some threes. PJ Washington can probably defend threes and fours. THT can defend twos, threes, and fours. Thybulle can defend God. Cameron Johnson I haven't studied his defense all that well but if you stick him at shooting guard he's at least 6'8 so there's a size matchup. Same deal with Dylan Windler and Deividas Sirvydis who are probably average defenders at best but at least they've got significant positional size. Okeke can defend threes and fours. 

Herro measured 6'5 in shoes with a 6'4.5 wingspan. He's not able to defend any position reliably. With the way we're building a roster he just can't be here. He needs to go to a team with a high gravity superstar to play off of him. 

Shooting is important but you need to be able to defend. Especially with a team like ours. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, magicdoc1 said:

Thybulle and Kevin Porter are ok but not really a 16 pick talent. No way you pick them at 16. You go best talent available if NAW is not available. I like thybulle above Porter but I still like Herro above those two. My opinion.  

Porter is consistently in that 12-20 range from mocks I’ve been reading. Thybulle is usually a low 1st, high 2nd guy but I’m a big enough fan of him to be supportive of him at 16.

Porter’s my favorite prospect at 16– I think he’s got the highest ceiling of the SG prospects that would be available, and as the 10th man in a 9 man rotation (when totally healthy), he’ll have the time to work on his game without totally being thrown into the fire. Great offensive game with tools to be good defensively imo

3 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Two way players with positional size and length so they're able to switch and defend more than one position. 

Evan is a shooter. Evan is killing us this series because they get him switched on to Kawhi or siakam constantly. Evan can only defend shooting guards most of the time. 

Danny Green is a shooter. Danny Green can defend 3 positions. He isn't hitting any shots but he's still extremely valuable as he shut down Augustin but also isn't a complete sieve once Gordon gets that mismatch. 

So Clarke can defend multiple positions definitely. Langford has the length to defend 2s, 3s, and smaller 4s. Porter can defend 2s and 3s in theory. Little can defend 3s and 4s definitely and was often considered a 4 position defender in high school but gaining weight sapped some of that lateral quickness. NAW can defend ones and twos and probably some threes. PJ Washington can probably defend threes and fours. THT can defend twos, threes, and fours. Thybulle can defend God. Cameron Johnson I haven't studied his defense all that well but if you stick him at shooting guard he's at least 6'8 so there's a size matchup. Same deal with Dylan Windler and Deividas Sirvydis who are probably average defenders at best but at least they've got significant positional size. Okeke can defend threes and fours. 

Herro measured 6'5 in shoes with a 6'4.5 wingspan. He's not able to defend any position reliably. With the way we're building a roster he just can't be here. He needs to go to a team with a high gravity superstar to play off of him. 

Shooting is important but you need to be able to defend. Especially with a team like ours. 

I haven't studied his defense really but in the few Cameron Johnson games I watched he didn't look like much of a defender. Seemed quite upright and didn't really contain dribble penetration. Might have been bad matchups though I couldn't say for sure I only saw 3 or 4 games some of which were in the tournament. 

9 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Have we talked Sekou Doumbouya here yet?

He's an option but he's pretty much "what if a guy looks like he could be an amazing basketball player but is currently a terrible basketball player". 

• Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

He's an option but he's pretty much "what if a guy looks like he could be an amazing basketball player but is currently a terrible basketball player". 

You could say this about Thon Maker though I think and Hammond drafted him.

44 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

You could say this about Thon Maker though I think and Hammond drafted him.

Yeah. I think he ends up going top 10

• Downvote 1

Give me Thybulle at 16.  Might as well bet on a guy with an elite ceiling at one aspect of the game.

On 4/20/2019 at 2:56 AM, CTMagicUK said:

What are people's thoughts on PJ Washington? 

I think PJ Washington is my guy.

His 3 point shooting improvement this year has been really impressive. He's got a solid low post game with his best move probably being his right jump hook, is a capable passer and a strong finisher at the rim who can finish with both hands.

His perimeter D doesn't look great and his steal numbers aren't amazing (which is surprising because from the eye test he appeared to get a fair few deflections) but he can block shots and I think with a little less energy expended as the number 1 option offensively he could compete harder on the defensive end and on the defensive glass (he doesn't always box out but that is easily fixed and is probably just a by product of always being the most athletic guy on the floor growing up). 

Positionally he's probably a 4 who can play the 3 in some lineups. He won't be able to guard the smaller, quicker 3s but equally they won't be able to guard him in the post.

1 hour ago, Magicfan1987 said:

When is the next strong draft class coming?

Next year is supposed to be good. 3 legitimate candidates for number 1 pick. There's a couple good foreign guys that project as good starters. There's a couple wildcard guys who are getting significant hype but we need to see in college before we know if they're Perry Jones or Aaron Gordon. 

Pretty solid top 10. Should be similar to 2014 depending on how many guys can raise their profile and develop into something solid. Usually you're guaranteed at least a handful to fill out the lottery. Sometimes that doesn't happen though.