The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

I still lol at the people debating Luka or Trea while i knew we would never get the chance. The fact that Atlanta made a trade just made it that more magical. We are truly the Browns of the NBA now. 

9 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

I still lol at the people debating Luka or Trea while i knew we would never get the chance. The fact that Atlanta made a trade just made it that more magical. We are truly the Browns of the NBA now. 

The browns? I don't see the correlation at all.

Your right, pick a team who had a good start or decent level of success in a sport, who is now viewed as a joke by the rest of the league.

Raiders maybe?

1 minute ago, hootie249 said:

Your right, pick a team who had a good start or decent level of success in a sport, who is now viewed as a joke by the rest of the league.

Raiders maybe?

Spoiled magic fans still don't really understand how unremarkable our slump is. 

Charlotte has made it out of the first round 4 times in 30 years, the last time 16 years ago. 

Denver has made it past the first round once since 1994. 

Golden State was on a stretch before Curry where they made the playoffs twice in 20 years. 

The clippers before Blake Griffin we're on a stretch where they made the playoffs 4 times, second round once, in 35 years. 

Milwaukee has made it out of the first round once in 30 years. 

Minnesota made it out of the first round once in 30 years and was on a stretch where they hadn't made the playoffs in 13 years until last season. 

New Orleans has made it out of the first round twice in 17 years. 

The Knicks have made it out of the first round once in 19 years. 

The Kings haven't made the playoffs in 13 years. 

Before their latest 3 year run, the raptors made it out of the first round once in 20 years. 

Washington hasn't made a conference finals since 1979. 

Our current streak of crappiness isn't special. It's routine. 

8 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Spoiled magic fans still don't really understand how unremarkable our slump is. 

Charlotte has made it out of the first round 4 times in 30 years, the last time 16 years ago. 

Denver has made it past the first round once since 1994. 

Golden State was on a stretch before Curry where they made the playoffs twice in 20 years. 

The clippers before Blake Griffin we're on a stretch where they made the playoffs 4 times, second round once, in 35 years. 

Milwaukee has made it out of the first round once in 30 years. 

Minnesota made it out of the first round once in 30 years and was on a stretch where they hadn't made the playoffs in 13 years until last season. 

New Orleans has made it out of the first round twice in 17 years. 

The Knicks have made it out of the first round once in 19 years. 

The Kings haven't made the playoffs in 13 years. 

Before their latest 3 year run, the raptors made it out of the first round once in 20 years. 

Washington hasn't made a conference finals since 1979. 

Our current streak of crappiness isn't special. It's routine. 

Thank you. So tired of hearing how bad we are and how we haven't sniffed the playoffs in 8 years when in fact we fail in comparison to other teams in the past. 

7 minutes ago, Malik Buttface said:

Thank you. So tired of hearing how bad we are and how we haven't sniffed the playoffs in 8 years when in fact we fail in comparison to other teams in the past. 

I mean, let's not diminish how crappy the post Dwight era has been. It's just fans want to act like pre-03 red Sox fans. Like our suffering is unique. We have a while to go before we hit that stage. 

First off, i love the facts, which make your posts fun to read.  I am about to turn 48 and have seen a good bit of the history your quoting.

I get it trust me, i do. This is where  negative nancy comes through the door. The first 3 years of the rebuild were exciting, the losing didn't bother me nearly as much. 

We started off the rebuild so well getting assets and lucking into the real first pick of the 2013 draft thanks to Cleveland. Since that moment, almost everything the magic do doesn't even draw laughs from the rest of the league, only pity.

It started with the hilarious year of front office malfunction that brought us that ****ty Milwaukee trade and Scott  Skile's resignation. It peaked with that terrible summer we traded our franchise player for Ibaka of all the players and added a first round pick! Throw in the laughable free agent signing a week later and the whole league and every major media outlet was going, WTF Magic?

I would say we hit bottom when Hennigan traded Ibaka  with Toronto and couldn't even get us the higher of Toronto's 2 first round picks. Two months later we had dry eraseboard-gate and now we  are derided and overlooked on news sites.

Check out this article on the ringer today.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/10/30/18040508/washington-wizards-john-wall-bradley-beal-chemistry

Wonder why i'm linking an article about another bad team? We are such a non entity in the NBA that in this article about bad players and dysfunction, the author references the Magic. We are one of 4 teams listed but the author excuses us because in his words, we are the Magic. I see this in many articles, year after year.

TL;DR  The magic are not interesting, have no players in the national spotlight and are generally the punching bag of the NBA right now.

5 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

First off, i love the facts, which make your posts fun to read.  I am about to turn 48 and have seen a good bit of the history your quoting.

I get it trust me, i do. This is where  negative nancy comes through the door. The first 3 years of the rebuild were exciting, the losing didn't bother me nearly as much. 

We started off the rebuild so well getting assets and lucking into the real first pick of the 2013 draft thanks to Cleveland. Since that moment, almost everything the magic do doesn't even draw laughs from the rest of the league, only pity.

It started with the hilarious year of front office malfunction that brought us that ****ty Milwaukee trade and Scott  Skile's resignation. It peaked with that terrible summer we traded our franchise player for Ibaka of all the players and added a first round pick! Throw in the laughable free agent signing a week later and the whole league and every major media outlet was going, WTF Magic?

I would say we hit bottom when Hennigan traded Ibaka  with Toronto and couldn't even get us the higher of Toronto's 2 first round picks. Two months later we had dry eraseboard-gate and now we  are derided and overlooked on news sites.

Check out this article on the ringer today.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/10/30/18040508/washington-wizards-john-wall-bradley-beal-chemistry

Wonder why i'm linking an article about another bad team? We are such a non entity in the NBA that in this article about bad players and dysfunction, the author references the Magic. We are one of 4 teams listed but the author excuses us because in his words, we are the Magic. I see this in many articles, year after year.

TL;DR  The magic are not interesting, have no players in the national spotlight and are generally the punching bag of the NBA right now.

I think you remember more stuff because this is your team. But people talk that way about Sacramento, Atlanta, the Knicks, Chicago, Cleveland, and Phoenix too. And Washington and Minnesota are the punching bags. 

On one of the recent Ringer podcasts they discussed "downtrodden" teams that other people don't talk about. Nobody brought us up

Overlooked isn't a bad place to be right now. I think analysts don't really know what to do with us (just like us watching) because we have better quality wins than our peers but also worse losses. We haven't played a projected lottery team yet. We've looked impressive and terrible. 

Right now we exist in a tier with Brooklyn and Memphis. 

21 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I mean, let's not diminish how crappy the post Dwight era has been. It's just fans want to act like pre-03 red Sox fans. Like our suffering is unique. We have a while to go before we hit that stage. 

Oh no, the post Dwight era has been rough but it's definitely not comparable to the playoff/success woes of other franchises in the past. I just think it tends to get blown out of proportion.