The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

I think it is vital that we find a way to improve our bench sooner rather than later. Whether that means finding a starting PG and moving DJ to the bench or finding a replacement for Simmons it has to be done. Waiting until the deadline feels like a waste of games we could have taken advantage of!

2 hours ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

I think it is vital that we find a way to improve our bench sooner rather than later. Whether that means finding a starting PG and moving DJ to the bench or finding a replacement for Simmons it has to be done. Waiting until the deadline feels like a waste of games we could have taken advantage of!

I think the Simmons replacement is obviously iwundu. 

But yeah we definitely need someone at point. 

16 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

The Celtics could get much better value if they announced Brown and Rozier were on the trade block. Trading them separately would probably yield the best results

It's not about value. It's about team building. Trading brown for another good player just puts them back into the same predicament. 

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nba/2018/11/21/18106086/five-most-interesting-nba-teams-week-6?__twitter_impression=true

Orlando Magic (9-9)

And now, for the last team to beat LeBron’s Lakers — one clearly determined to make a mockery of the Five Most Interesting Teams of the Week.

After hanging 131 and 130 on the Lakers and Knicks last weekend, the Magic ranked 12th in the NBA in non-garbage-time offensive efficiency, according to Cleaning the Glass. (They dropped to 18th, just a tick below league-average, after Tuesday’s loss to Toronto.) That, frankly, is astonishing. Orlando doesn’t employ a bona-fide-star offensive focal point, though center Nikola Vucevic — who’s averaging 20 points, 11.2 rebounds, and 3.6 assists per game while shooting a scorching 55.4 percent from the field and 42.2 percent from 3-point range — might beg to differ. And it has handed nearly all of its minutes at point guard to D.J. Augustin, whose ceiling tops out at “serviceable but unremarkable veteran,” and Jerian Grant, who aspires to that lofty goal. So how the hell are the Magic doing this?

Knowing his lead guards are caretakers and not rainmakers, Steve Clifford has democratized the Magic attack, emboldening Orlando’s bigs and wings to take on a larger share of the playmaking responsibility within the confines of the half-court offense. Not everybody’s seeing more of the ball; Aaron Gordon’s touches are down a bit from last season, Jonathon Simmons’s are down by a lot, and the Magic actually average fewer passes per game than last season. But nearly everybody seems to be doing more with the ball when they get it.

Orlando ranks in the top five in assists, secondary assists (the pass that leads to the pass that leads to the basket), and points created via direct assist. Gordon, Simmons, Vucevic, and swingmen Evan Fournier and Terrence Ross are all assisting on their teammates’ baskets more frequently than ever. The starting five of Vucevic, Gordon, Fournier, Augustin, and second-year small forward Wesley Iwundu has locked into a dynamite rhythm, scoring a blistering 120.3 points per 100 possessions, the highest offensive rating of any lineup in the league that has logged at least 100 minutes.

6 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

That's only about half of the magic discussion. Everyone should go to that link

Great article. I noticed that we have been moving a lot this year, which is what I think is opening up the game.

Yes, it's cutting and moving.  The Clifford system - is it a SVG thing?  Clifford is by far the coach that has gotten the most leverage out of our guys since SVG.  I hope the West Coast swing doesn't jinx us this year. 

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

It's not about value. It's about team building. Trading brown for another good player just puts them back into the same predicament. 

Plus it’s going to be harder than people think. Boston made themselves nearly impossible to trade with based on how they allocated their their money and I don’t think anyone is giving up a top 10 pick for brown or rozier by themselves. So a top 15 pick from us and the 6th man of the year candidate that could help them win this year would be a great return. Sure it’s not as sexy as the fleece sweater deals Boston is used to getting but Boston is no longer in the market for project players that need to develop. They want that low salary finished product with playoff experience which T Ross is.