magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

26 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Smart would be really fun as a starting PG with this line. Smart/Fournier/Isaac/Gordon/Bamba would probably be the best defensive unit in the league. But, even if Smart were to accept the MLE, Boston would match it in a heartbeat

Even better Smart/Ross/Isaac, AG/Bamba. Now that is a tough defensive squad!

Exum or Smart and we have potential for an amazing defensive team. My preference may be Smart because of his experience. He can be a good leader, but he'll have to realize he's leading and can't do dumb stuff. 

I never got off the Exum train from 2014.

6 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

No we don't need to address the soft cap. It's not like this is something we haven't exploited as well. When we were contending we had a payroll of almost 100 million during an era where the cap was in the 50s. Their payroll is only going to be like 160 million. What's killing them is the luxury tax. So when you see that the warriors are going to pay 300 million to keep their players it's basically 140 million exclusively in luxury tax money. 

We probably shouldn't trade our 2021 picks

No. I don't care if Boston has 30 picks. They only have 15 roster spots. 

Why aren't you a fan?

First three points all valid opinions. 

Adam Silver mentioned in an NBA pre draft interview that he was concerned about  teams going over the luxury tax by too much especially teams in bigger markets vs teams in smaller markets that could impact competitive balance.  Obviously he thinks it is an issue.   

I never mentioned trading 2021 picks.  Issue was one and done discussion.  I think it would be good for college and pro basketball of which I AM a fan

I do care about oversight of draft picks.  In a year when Boston may win the championship most fans other than Boston fans will not see them getting 4 first round picks as a positive for the league

Which makes your last question perplexing, to say the least, because as a fan I find these are pertinent issues.   

12 hours ago, Justin Jaudon said:

1. To eliminate the soft cap you'd have to stop guaranteeing contracts.

2. I actually think letting high-schoolers in could help with tanking. My reasoning is this: it must affect the math of tanking to have top level talent with less tape against quality opponents. Look how often guys are one or two coming out of high school but fall off. Shabazz Muhammad comes to mind. He might have been a top 5 pick, even with added scrutiny from pre-draft stuff, without seeing him at UCLA. It will add a lot of bust potential players, which might make tanking less of a safe bet. Of course, it could just make teams tank even longer. Hard to say.

3. The NBA needs to leave transactions alone more than they already do. I actually think it hurts teams the controls the NBA already puts on draft trading. Those GMs for Boston and Atlanta worked really hard to get those picks, and they deserve them.

4. I don't know what the new lottery will do. It may encourage more teams to tank; I just don't know.

Good discussion

Point 1--Silver thinks it is an issue (big market vs small market revenue impacting competitive balance) but the solution will be difficult.....answer is a harder cap but unlikely to happen.  Guaranteed contracts could stay even then.  The Luxury tax was suppossed to address (control the owners) from overspending.   Obviously they are making so much money they can still go way over it (in certain markets). 

Point 2--I like it, if this happens for college and pro basketball

Point 3--Not sure what the solution is but just find a perennial playoff team (Boston not Atlanta), no matter how hard management works,  getting so many lottery picks not to be in the best interest of the league.

Point 4--Even Silver, in an interview, admitted he did not know.  I suspect tanking will occur too.  Stan Van Gundy said he had the solution and that was to make rookies "unrestricted free agents" after year 1.  "Out of the box" thinking but probably correct.  I would give that "0%" chance of happening just because I cannot put a negative number on it.

1 hour ago, Originalticketholder said:

First three points all valid opinions. 

Adam Silver mentioned in an NBA pre draft interview that he was concerned about  teams going over the luxury tax by too much especially teams in bigger markets vs teams in smaller markets that could impact competitive balance.  Obviously he thinks it is an issue.   

I never mentioned trading 2021 picks.  Issue was one and done discussion.  I think it would be good for college and pro basketball of which I AM a fan

I do care about oversight of draft picks.  In a year when Boston may win the championship most fans other than Boston fans will not see them getting 4 first round picks as a positive for the league

Which makes your last question perplexing, to say the least, because as a fan I find these are pertinent issues.   

No I mean why aren't you a fan of the new draft lotto rules

Yeah the defense would be stingy and nuts with Smart in the lineup but that is yet again another player who can not create for themselves on offense. The offense would be so rough to watch.

Just now, Malik Buttface said:

Yeah the defense would be stingy and nuts with Smart in the lineup but that is yet again another player who can not create for themselves on offense. The offense would be so rough to watch.

It's such a bad idea that I'm not sure why it's being discussed 

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

It's such a bad idea that I'm not sure why it's being discussed 

How do we even know if it's a bad idea if it's never been done before

• Upvote 2