Jump to content
Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, TrueBlueDrew said:

I saw a lot of Trae Young this year and man I just have a bad feeling about this kid. Seems like he has bust written all over him. Once teams in the Big12 figured him out, he was awful in the back half of the season and the Sooners shouldn't have even been in the NCAA Tournament. Then once they got to the tournament, he had an awful showing. Sure he scored 20-something points, but most of those were layups and free throws. He didn't shoot well from the outside and didn't have many assists if my memory serves me correctly. I just don't like his possibility against bigger talent. 

Now I know I've seen the Trae Young = next Steph Curry comparison before, but Curry went off in his NCAA Tournament appearance, led his team to the Elite 8 and had himself a game every single time. Elevating your game when your team needs it is the mark of a great player, I just don't see that with Young.

I will acknowledge your concern with his height tranlating to his defense.  But I watched the Rhode  Island game in the NCAA tournament and he had 28 points, 7-8 FT, 3-9 3 point shots (9 three point shots!--took EP 9 games to shoot 9 three pointers!!!!) 7 assists but 6 turnovers.  But awful showing????????   He was double teamed most of the game and picked up beyond the 3 point line thus he drove to the basket more due to that defense.  He WAS OU's offense in the 2nd half and got them into OT while being double teamed.  Now can he play the defense needed in the NBA is the big question.  He has earned an individual workout and I hope the Magic do that.  I, for one, do not see him as a bust but do not see him as one of the 5 best players for us assuming we stay at 5.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Magicfan1987    179
14 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

I will acknowledge your concern with his height tranlating to his defense.  But I watched the Rhode  Island game in the NCAA tournament and he had 28 points, 7-8 FT, 3-9 3 point shots (9 three point shots!--took EP 9 games to shoot 9 three pointers!!!!) 7 assists but 6 turnovers.  But awful showing????????   He was double teamed most of the game and picked up beyond the 3 point line thus he drove to the basket more due to that defense.  He WAS OU's offense in the 2nd half and got them into OT while being double teamed.  Now can he play the defense needed in the NBA is the big question.  He has earned an individual workout and I hope the Magic do that.  I, for one, do not see him as a bust but do not see him as one of the 5 best players for us assuming we stay at 5.  

couldn't agree more, no one's double teaming Young with AG and Isaac slashing and popping. 

Doncic, Young, Bamba, Bridges

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
magicblue    228
9 hours ago, TrueBlueDrew said:

On a different note. 

I would love to see this type of aggression from our FO. 

What type of package would convince the Clippers to accept that deal?

If we could turn Biz, Evan, a future draft pick, into #12 and lets say the ping-pong balls are nice and we get a top 4 pick. How does this sound?

#4 -- Michael Porter Jr. 

#12 -- Shai Gilgerous Alexander or Lonnie Walker

#35 -- Chandler Hutchison 

We can’t pick 4th so that definitely won’t be happening 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Magicfan1987 said:

couldn't agree more, no one's double teaming Young with AG and Isaac slashing and popping. 

Doncic, Young, Bamba, Bridges

We are on the same page that is my top four. None of the rest of the top ten do anything for me. 

I would like to see us getting Diop later in the draft and Jevon that would be sweet 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Magicfan1987    179
23 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

We are on the same page that is my top four. None of the rest of the top ten do anything for me. 

I would like to see us getting Diop later in the draft and Jevon that would be sweet 

that's exactly who I want in the second round too. I'll take Jevons elite potential perimeter defense over Jalen Brunsons average all around game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Odin    69
11 hours ago, TrueBlueDrew said:

On a different note. 

I would love to see this type of aggression from our FO. 

What type of package would convince the Clippers to accept that deal?

If we could turn Biz, Evan, a future draft pick, into #12 and lets say the ping-pong balls are nice and we get a top 4 pick. How does this sound?

#4 -- Michael Porter Jr. 

#12 -- Shai Gilgerous Alexander or Lonnie Walker

#35 -- Chandler Hutchison 

Pretty funny that you picked the only top 8 pick that we cannot get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Magicfan1987 said:
13 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Just say no to Porter. Back surgeries and basketball are not a good mix. We need an undamaged player from this draft! I'd rather trade our pick for 12 & 13 than to risk it all on Porter's back. Trade 5 for SGA & either of the 2 centers in that range.

even if you could get Collin Sexton and Kevin Knox  (best case scenario) is that better than getting Bamba, Young, or JJJ?

No of course it is not better. In my original comment I said I would trade the pick rather than take Porter and that I would draft SGA and one of the 2 centers in that range with #12 & #13. I like Sexton a lot but SGA is 4 inches taller and a more rounded PG. I would not be disappointed with taking Sexton though. If we do pick top 5 I'm sure we'll get Doncic, Ayton, JJJ, Bamba, or Young and I would be happy with any of them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Magicfan1987    179
3 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

No of course it is not better. In my original comment I said I would trade the pick rather than take Porter and that I would draft SGA and one of the 2 centers in that range with #12 & #13. I like Sexton a lot but SGA is 4 inches taller and a more rounded PG. I would not be disappointed with taking Sexton though. If we do pick top 5 I'm sure we'll get Doncic, Ayton, JJJ, Bamba, or Young and I would be happy with any of them.

 

ok I understand thank you. I just wasn't sure if you were really high on trying to get those 2 later lottery picks than one of the middle tier players

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

If Porter checks out physically I'll happily have him. 

By checking out physically I hope you mean have a few big guys slam into him from different angles, have him do a few body rolls into camera men, have him do some awkward bends,  do some very off balance landings coming off a dunk,  and falling down hard on his back after getting fouled hard. Bad backs and basketball really don't mix well. They can be fine 1 day and then out of the blue get tweaked and you get a month of downtime, or worse, another surgery. Trust me on this, I've had a bad back for 30 years. My Xrays are good and most of the time it's great,  but once in a while something doesn't go right and I am in terrifying pain. The very worst time it went out I was pulling a pant leg over a boot. I was like paralyzed for 2 days.

We already have Isaac as our designated miss most of the season/injury prone player,  let's not draft a 2nd one when there are much healthier prospects available.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
?4thewin    1,582
33 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

By checking out physically I hope you mean have a few big guys slam into him from different angles, have him do a few body rolls into camera men, have him do some awkward bends,  do some very off balance landings coming off a dunk,  and falling down hard on his back after getting fouled hard. Bad backs and basketball really don't mix well. They can be fine 1 day and then out of the blue get tweaked and you get a month of downtime, or worse, another surgery. Trust me on this, I've had a bad back for 30 years. My Xrays are good and most of the time it's great,  but once in a while something doesn't go right and I am in terrifying pain. The very worst time it went out I was pulling a pant leg over a boot. I was like paralyzed for 2 days.

We already have Isaac as our designated miss most of the season/injury prone player,  let's not draft a 2nd one when there are much healthier prospects available.

You can see degenerative disks on an MRI. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

By checking out physically I hope you mean have a few big guys slam into him from different angles, have him do a few body rolls into camera men, have him do some awkward bends,  do some very off balance landings coming off a dunk,  and falling down hard on his back after getting fouled hard. Bad backs and basketball really don't mix well. They can be fine 1 day and then out of the blue get tweaked and you get a month of downtime, or worse, another surgery. Trust me on this, I've had a bad back for 30 years. My Xrays are good and most of the time it's great,  but once in a while something doesn't go right and I am in terrifying pain. The very worst time it went out I was pulling a pant leg over a boot. I was like paralyzed for 2 days.

We already have Isaac as our designated miss most of the season/injury prone player,  let's not draft a 2nd one when there are much healthier prospects available.

I trust our FO will have all the necessary medical's they need IF Porter is an option.  If his medical report comes back flawless or near flawless and his game is back, I still think there is a good chance he is gone by pick 5 anyway.  One and done's, all across the league,  commonly have first year medical issues.  Not many prospects are physically ready for an 82 game season as 18/19 years old.  Looking forward to seeing Isaac's progress this summer (added wieght/muscle/summer league?).  Hoping we are at 5 or better after tomorrow's night lottery.  Virtually guaranteed a future major contributor if that occurs.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×