Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

2 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Very possible and I think Bagley is going to be very good and may be the best player at #5, better than some drafted before him and better than Isaac and Gordon.   Problem is he duplicates what we have so he is a hard fit for us.  Athletic long and a scorer already. Consumate rebounder.   Fits Weltmann's criteria!  But it is early.  If the above scenario plays out individual workouts and combine will be critical in establishing the pecking order.  In play for us would be Bagley, Young and, hold onto your seats, Porter.  

19 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I think it all depends on the coaching. I want several guys ahead of him but he’s young and got a lot of talent.

I think we just discussed the issues of Kevin Love and a lot of those issues overlap with bagley

24 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I think we just discussed the issues of Kevin Love and a lot of those issues overlap with bagley

You think him and Love are the same?

32 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

You think him and Love are the same?

I think love is a talented player who has issues defending on the perimeter but also isn't good defending on the interior resulting in a heavily exploitable problem for the Cavs. 

I think Bagley has issues defending on the perimeter and also lacks rim protection, isn't a weak side defender, and there's some evidence he has trouble managing rotations. 

There's nuances to their games that make them different. But they share similar flaws. I'm weary of the "can't defend small ball 4s, can't protect the rim at 5" players in this NBA. David Lee went from prized free agent team centerpiece to talented role player who is unplayable in certain matchups in the blink of an eye. Love still plays at a somewhat high level because he's a great shooter but you really have to build around his weaknesses. 

So what are we expecting Bagley to be in the NBA and why draft him fifth? There's eventually a point where you feel like taking a swing on talent despite flaws is preferable to taking a less talented player but what point is that? But how much better than Kenneth Faried does he have to be to be worth it?

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

I think love is a talented player who has issues defending on the perimeter but also isn't good defending on the interior resulting in a heavily exploitable problem for the Cavs. 

I think Bagley has issues defending on the perimeter and also lacks rim protection, isn't a weak side defender, and there's some evidence he has trouble managing rotations. 

There's nuances to their games that make them different. But they share similar flaws. I'm weary of the "can't defend small ball 4s, can't protect the rim at 5" players in this NBA. David Lee went from prized free agent team centerpiece to talented role player who is unplayable in certain matchups in the blink of an eye. Love still plays at a somewhat high level because he's a great shooter but you really have to build around his weaknesses. 

So what are we expecting Bagley to be in the NBA and why draft him fifth? There's eventually a point where you feel like taking a swing on talent despite flaws is preferable to taking a less talented player but what point is that? But how much better than Kenneth Faried does he have to be to be worth it?

That's why I'd go with Trae if we pick 5 or lower.

18 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

11 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I think that's fair 

That's also why it is so important to rank players by tiers, and to have a decent feel for how other teams have ranked them. For example, let's say you have the second pick, and you want Doncic, and have Young as your second choice; but you know the team ahead of you is going to take Doncic. Rather than pick Young with #2, you could start working the phones with teams below you who might want Ayton, Jackson, or Bamba and would be willing to take Young for you, and give you something else as well if you pick their guy for them. That is kind of how the Magic ended up with Penny Hardaway. They had him in and loved his game and his fit, but Weber was the consensus #1; so the Magic went looking for a deal that would bring them both their guy (Penny) and something extra.  I don't think we will see a deal where we could get our guy and two future firsts like we did then; but we might be able to pull our guy plus one. Remember every player and every pick is an asset, so it's not just about this year's fit. 

53 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

If JJJ, Doncic, Ayton, and Bamba are off the board, I would say either Trae or Mikal Bridges. If we think they add equal value, Trae is probably the better choice since we don't have as much need for a wing.

3 minutes ago, Odin said:

If JJJ, Doncic, Ayton, and Bamba are off the board, I would say either Trae or Mikal Bridges. If we think they add equal value, Trae is probably the better choice since we don't have as much need for a wing.

Yeah and it's not like we couldn't use a PG and we might as well get one who can shoot and distribute.