Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

I'm just going back to what i said when we traded oladipo for ibaka.  

Why trade oladipo for ibaka when it makes more sense to pair oladipo with ibaka? Developing a defensive identity instead of plugging one hole while opening another.  

Why trade Gordon for (realistically available all star)? Then you're just Charlotte. Or the Knicks.  

You're supposed to pair an all star with Gordon so that we're actually building toward something.  Otherwise it's just making us marginally better 

What if AG and whatever is in a deal to get an all star? Or a trade least one that's on the cusp?

9 minutes ago, Payton4thewin said:

Shouldn't we have learned the lessons of all the recent draft picks who were billed as franchise changers but turn out to be just nice? Ingram? The entire lottery of 2015 with the exception of towns? Jabari? Wiggins?

There are 3-4 all-star caliber players in the lotto range (give or take) virtually every year. I'd say that's greater than just "nice." The recent drafts are just too soon to judge. Now that's also a argument for why trading AG now wouldn't be wise. If you look at his draft class, he's in line to be the 3rd best lotto player selected and has future All-Star potential. I wouldn't trade him for picks only given his trajectory, age, and the lack of clarity on where picks will shake out post lottery for this year.

I'm just having trouble believing that they would truly entertain trading Gordon.  It's one thing if they're listening just to foster good relationships with other teams for future trades; it's another if they're actually entertaining it.

I mean, this franchise is actively suffering through watching Oladipo turn into a star in another jersey, mainly due to a lack of patience and misplaced understanding of what the team needed.  They're really gonna go and ship off a player who checks every box of what they want in a prospect?  I don't really buy it.  

5 minutes ago, ML6 said:

I'm just having trouble believing that they would truly entertain trading Gordon.  It's one thing if they're listening just to foster good relationships with other teams for future trades; it's another if they're actually entertaining it.

I mean, this franchise is actively suffering through watching Oladipo turn into a star in another jersey, mainly due to a lack of patience and misplaced understanding of what the team needed.  They're really gonna go and ship off a player who checks every box of what they want in a prospect?  I don't really buy it.  

It's 100% their job to listen. It's also going to be helpful in gaging the market for Gordon when he hits RFA. They may find that he's valued very highly by a couple teams that ensure he'll get maxed out this summer. But they may also discover that his value could be lower than that around the league and it'll give them leverage in negotiations.

If they do move Gordon I would believe it's because there's behind the scenes stuff we aren't hearing as much about (mostly in terms of attitude or team dynamic - we know he's a hard worker).

17 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

True but I don't know if that vision is to build around him but to get a guy you can build around. 

I don't think you are going to get a trade for this player that you are imagining. The value is just not there.

You will either get a vet like Ibaka, or another young potential guy like Ingram or Dennis Smith, etc. I think I have said before, teams basically never trade players of Gordon's caliber when they are still young and, if they do, they never get an even close to equal return.

Just now, Mack1085 said:

It's 100% their job to listen. It's also going to be helpful in gaging the market for Gordon when he hits RFA. They may find that he's valued very highly by a couple teams that ensure he'll get maxed out this summer. But they may also discover that his value could be lower than that around the league and it'll give them leverage in negotiations.

If they do move Gordon I would believe it's because there's behind the scenes stuff we aren't hearing as much about (mostly in terms of attitude or team dynamic - we know he's a hard worker).

Yeah I don't doubt that they're answering the phone.  I would just be surprised if it's more than the background research you're describing.

1 hour ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Top 5 pick, young player showing promise, and 2 lightly protected 1sts does it for me. I would love to have 2 top 5 picks this year!

if you can Speedo a core of Young Isaac and Ayton I'm for it

Just now, Odin said:

I don't think you are going to get a trade for this player that you are imagining. The value is just not there.

You will either get a vet like Ibaka, or another young potential guy like Ingram or Dennis Smith, etc. I think I have said before, teams basically never trade players of Gordon's caliber when they are still young and, if they do, they never get an even close to equal return.

No. You don't get equal return when it's a star.

9 hours ago, Ibn Battuta said:

Bro I’ve questioned the injury since day one. The whole thing seems suspect but everyone seems content to “shut him down” and just assume the team is shipping him to a hyperbolic chamber to turn into SS Isaac. It’s almost three months now with the ankle sprain and he’s not close to coming back? What the hell. He needs to be on the court helping himself and his teammates get better. 

Yea it’s just become a major red flag to me. I wouldn’t be as concerned if it wasn’t for the fact that he couldn’t play big minutes in college either. He very well might just be a “fragile” player. 

It means nothing now, but the majority of us wanted DSJ. He’s not lighting the world on fire but I’d feel better with him. 

• Like 1

As for trading AG, I for sure would as long as it’s for the right price. Every player has a price. If a team wanted to throw the farm at us for AG I go for it. I am not near as sold on him as others.