Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

Orlando Magic

1. Agreed to a reported three-year, $20 million with guard Jonathon Simmons

A day after the San Antonio Spurs rescinded his qualifying offer, making him an unrestricted free agent, Simmons has a new home in Orlando. While the money surely isn't what Simmons was hoping after his terrific Western Conference finals performance against the Golden State Warriors, it still represents a nice payday less than four years after he paid to try out with the Austin Spurs.

Simmons has the defensive end of the 3-and-D equation down. His plus-1.1 defensive rating in ESPN's real plus-minus (RPM) ranked him among the top 10 shooting guards. Simmons is capable of defending point guards and many small forwards and immediately becomes the Magic's best wing defender.

Still, I think this is closer to Simmons' actual value than the $10 million a year I anticipated he'd get coming into the summer. Simmons posted a .586 true shooting percentage as a rookie on the strength of attempting nearly half his shot attempts inside three feet (47.9 percent, according to Basketball-Reference.com) and making 38.3 percent of his 3s. Those rates dropped to 34.9 percent inside three feet and 29.4 percent 3-point shooting last season, and Simmons' true shooting percentage was an underwhelming .504.

If Simmons can become a league-average 3-point shooter, he'll almost certainly be underpaid at less than the non-taxpayer midlevel exception. At last season's level of offensive performance, this might be a slight overpay. Given that this looks like Orlando's last summer with significant cap space before possible extensions for Aaron Gordon and Elfrid Payton, that's a reasonable gamble.

http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/20053809/nba-free-agency-2017-best-worst-moves-day-14

I'm not down on it because of the money. the money is fine.

I'm a little down on it because we're giving a prime spot in the rotation to a tough defensive guy who has unreliable offense to pair with a bunch of other players on the bench that do the same thing. Would rather have meeks. We're building Milwaukee without a Giannis and that is troubling.

I see your point, but I like the Simmons signing quite a bit. It does seem redundant but the new front office likes to trade. I'd rather have Simmons at 6 per than Fournier at 17 per, that's for sure.

I'm not down on it because of the money. the money is fine.

I'm a little down on it because we're giving a prime spot in the rotation to a tough defensive guy who has unreliable offense to pair with a bunch of other players on the bench that do the same thing. Would rather have meeks. We're building Milwaukee without a Giannis and that is troubling.

You don't see a trade happening? Kinda feels like there will be.

If its based around Fournier or ross ok.

If its just clearing out Mario that doesn't help the issue

Maybe we are somehow a part of the Carmelo deal. Don't know how but maybe it was paused yesterday to allow us to try and strike a deal with Simmons before the trade occurs. Probably a long shot though

Maybe we are somehow a part of the Carmelo deal. Don't know how but maybe it was paused yesterday to allow us to try and strike a deal with Simmons before the trade occurs. Probably a long shot though

Melo wouldn't agree to it and I wouldn't want it.

If its based around Fournier or ross ok.

If its just clearing out Mario that doesn't help the issue

Wouldnt that hinder our already hindered offense? That makes no sense.

Melo wouldn't agree to it and I wouldn't want it.

Dident mean we would get melo. We just might be one of the 4 teams