Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

or maybe not

Nathaniel Friedman‏Verified account @freedarko · 7s8 seconds ago

 More

I hear Hayward is leaning toward Miami now that the Celtics failed to land George or Butler. Feels like the ceiling is higher there.

Manny Vieites @manny_vieites

Gordon Hayward is leaning towards Boston I am being told. Contract would be a 3-year max with a 4th year option.

I don't think they know yet. If anything, it seems like he's not going back to Utah.

I mean, he's going boston but I just want to see a scenario where Boston traded Fultz for Jackson in order to clear cap space to sign hayward, couldn't draft Jackson because he didn't work out for them, took tatum, convinced everyone they wanted tatum the whole time. Tried to salvage the tatum selection by trading him as part of a bigger deal for George (in addition to signing Hayward). Then didn't sign Hayward or trade for george.

The whole situation makes Boston's FO look very incompetent this off season, which they usually don't.

I wonder if they continue to make bad moves (moving too slow, not great trades, being too "mysterious" to the point that other GMs don't want to deal with them, trying to get perfect trades that will never appear, and, hopefully, spending the important part of the off season courting a player that decides to play elsewhere).

The whole situation makes Boston's FO look very incompetent this off season, which they usually don't.

I wonder if they continue to make bad moves (moving too slow, not great trades, being too "mysterious" to the point that other GMs don't want to deal with them, trying to get perfect trades that will never appear, and, hopefully, spending the important part of the off season courting a player that decides to play elsewhere).

they'll end up looking terrible when they are forced to make decisions with Thomas, smart, Bradley, and the other young guys. That will last for a few months. then they'll look great again when they start rebuilding with all those draft picks.

It's just so funny to watch Boston fans go from "Bradley AND a pick for butler????!!!??? THATS WAY TOO MUCH". then Bradley leaves in free agency and they'll shift to "Team X paid WAAAAAY to much for Bradley". Glad we didn't match that offer.

they'll end up looking terrible when they are forced to make decisions with Thomas, smart, Bradley, and the other young guys. That will last for a few months. then they'll look great again when they start rebuilding with all those draft picks.

It's just so funny to watch Boston fans go from "Bradley AND a pick for butler????!!!??? THATS WAY TOO MUCH". then Bradley leaves in free agency and they'll shift to "Team X paid WAAAAAY to much for Bradley". Glad we didn't match that offer.

I think any time a possible contender acts like they are holding all of the cards, only to fail and be burned by every possible move, it shows a certain level of incompetence, from overconfidence.

Honestly, Boston wasn't that good last year, but they have/ had enough pieces to actually become good but decided not to use them because Ainge keeps thinking he can get a better deal. I think, to a certain level, he expects to win every trade, and when there isn't a trade out there that is a clear win for him, he won't take it. Then he gets stuck with a bunch of assets that don't appreciate because they either are draft picks that become players that the other team doesn't want as much (the value of being able to pick the guy you want over what the other team picked should not be overrated), or are young players who might have potential only to either not get the minutes they need to develop or to get minutes and show that the ability isn't there.

So, yeah, he will still look ok after all of this since he still has a bunch of potentially talented young players, a good coach, and a treasure trove of draft picks. But he had an opportunity to contend this next season for real, and right now it looks like he fumbled that chance away with some bad decision making- and the GMs first priority should always be to get his team capable of being able to contend for a title.

It's crazy. Day 3 of free agency and I've only heard us possibly linked to 2 free agents, Ingles and Collison. Outside of that it's been silent on our end.

I called 7 days before we make a signing. Right on track as of now.

I'm very impressed with the way the summer league games look so far. A much more structured game then I've ever seen in the past here at RDV. Normally these games are glorified pick up games with little to no half court offensive execution. A very pleasant treat.

or maybe not

Nathaniel Friedman‏Verified account @freedarko · 7s8 seconds ago

 More

I hear Hayward is leaning toward Miami now that the Celtics failed to land George or Butler. Feels like the ceiling is higher there.

This makes no sense, even without landing George or Butler the Celtics have a better roster than the Heat. If chooses Miami it's for the beaches and weather, because they aren't competing for titles. Someone should inform him that LeBron hasn't been there for years.

It's crazy. Day 3 of free agency and I've only heard us possibly linked to 2 free agents, Ingles and Collison. Outside of that it's been silent on our end.

It's the right thing to do. We aren't landing someone who will change the franchise and we don't have max dollars to spend because of Rob's poor decisions last year. It really sucks because we all want new players and excitement for a new season, but we're in a terrible position of not having good players, trade assets OR cap space. Which is why it blows my mind that some people still defend Hennigan to this day. The new FO needs patience and a lot of work to do to get this franchise respectable again.

This makes no sense, even without landing George or Butler the Celtics have a better roster than the Heat. If chooses Miami it's for the beaches and weather, because they aren't competing for titles. Someone should inform him that LeBron hasn't been there for years.

They were 30-11 in the second half