Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

CHA @ ORL

So we figured out Mario. He needs confidence. The more he got tonight the more he started showing those flashes again, hopefully this earned him more minutes

Yes I agree. Hopefully all of Watson's and greens as they are horrible.

No no we haven't.

agreed.

I'm firmly on the hezonja bandwagon but the only thing you can say about last night was it was encouraging that he finally looked good.

Hopefully last night coupled with legitimate practice time with no game until Sunday will result in him earning meaningful minutes where we can properly evaluate him.

agreed.

I'm firmly on the hezonja bandwagon but the only thing you can say about last night was it was encouraging that he finally looked good.

Hopefully last night coupled with legitimate practice time with no game until Sunday will result in him earning meaningful minutes where we can properly evaluate him.

I'm not worried about him offensively. Even if his outside shot isn't falling he knows how to get offense in other ways.

It's his defense that needs work. Last night showed some encouraging signs but he tends to either get lost or overplay. I also saw that attitude a little. He clearly fouled a guy and just stopped and yelled "that's bull****!" I mean real overly angry. There's some immaturity issues there and maybe it's pent up frustration but he's a work in progress.

I think with all Skile's flaws, he is probably a better coach for Mario because he keeps him in check. Nothing against Vogel.

I'm not worried about him offensively. Even if his outside shot isn't falling he knows how to get offense in other ways.

It's his defense that needs work. Last night showed some encouraging signs but he tends to either get lost or overplay. I also saw that attitude a little. He clearly fouled a guy and just stopped and yelled "that's bull****!" I mean real overly angry. There's some immaturity issues there and maybe it's pent up frustration but he's a work in progress.

I think with all Skile's flaws, he is probably a better coach for Mario because he keeps him in check. Nothing against Vogel.

eh, I think you might be over analyzing. Gordon does the same thing.

Skiles vs Vogel might be something though.

eh, I think you might be over analyzing. Gordon does the same thing.

Skiles vs Vogel might be something though.

What part am I over analyzing? Defense or immaturity?

What part am I over analyzing? Defense or immaturity?

immaturity. I just think its an NBA thing now to react to every call like they called a foul on you for sneezing 90 feet away from the play.

I remember someone talking about an FSU football player one time (Tank Carradine? or maybe Bjorn Werner) where they stated all he did was play, never complained about holding. Never threw his arms up in the air during the play to get the refs attention. The result was refs throwing flags at a much lower rate than they would for other teams. So it worked to complain all the time because the refs will think they missed a call and probably call it on the next play.

I think that might apply to the NBA. Guys saw Kobe and Lebron complain about every call regardless of the merit of that call. They saw those guys get the benefit and no punishment. so it trickled down to everyday players.

immaturity. I just think its an NBA thing now to react to every call like they called a foul on you for sneezing 90 feet away from the play.

I remember someone talking about an FSU football player one time (Tank Carradine? or maybe Bjorn Werner) where they stated all he did was play, never complained about holding. Never threw his arms up in the air during the play to get the refs attention. The result was refs throwing flags at a much lower rate than they would for other teams. So it worked to complain all the time because the refs will think they missed a call and probably call it on the next play.

I think that might apply to the NBA. Guys saw Kobe and Lebron complain about every call regardless of the merit of that call. They saw those guys get the benefit and no punishment. so it trickled down to everyday players.

Ya know that look of frustration and that look of pure anger with a sense of entitlement?

That specific instance with Mario was the latter and he clearly committed the foul. I was actually surprised they didn't T him up.

agreed.

Well to me it looked like he gained some confidence and become much more locked in

Well to me it looked like he gained some confidence and become much more locked in

I don't see his performance in garbage time changing anything. What could change his playing time are two possibilities:

1. We have a bad enough record, late enough in the season, that playoffs begin to look out of reach. At that point I could definitely see them giving Mario more PT to see what he might be able to do (if anything), since we wouldn't really be risking much, or

2. The other SG/SF are all playing so poorly that again, we have nothing to lose by putting Mario in there.

Short of those two scenarios, I doubt his status changes much. He'll still get in occasionally, during blowouts and in unusual situations, but that's about it.