Soul Bro

Is It Time for Rob to Go?

Is It Time for Rob to Go?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Is It Time for Rob to Go?

• Yes, I no longer have confidence in him as the Magic GM
    • No, I still have confidence in him as the Magic GM
    • Unsure

Funny thing, between the 3 most dominant teams in the league right now, there's all of one top pick that was drafted by that team to turn their fortunes around. Kyrie. LeBron, free agent (yes he was drafted by Cleveland, but left for Miami and came back as a free agent). Love, trade. Steph, Klay, Draymond, drafted lower than top 5. Durant, free agent. Kahwi, Parker, Ginoboli, drafted lower than top 5. Gasol, free agent. Aldridge, free agent. You gotta drop down to the Celtics to find another player that was drafted top 5 by his team, and then you can add on Marcus Smart as a #6 pick as well. Isaiah Thomas? Trade. Crowder? Trade.

It's almost like the top teams in the NBA are telling you tanking for top picks doesn't work.

Even funnier is that a lot of trades like those mentioned above happened because top picks WERE INCLUDED

And we can't count on losing and being the worst team in basketball on purpose to land a #1 pick and have an all time great ready and waiting for the pickings. It is a model of mediocrity that you are expecting all our problems to be solved by ping pong balls. The epitome of naivety.

and curry is a terrible example of this because he was drafted in an era where people didn't value three point shooting enough. That's not a market inefficiency that is going to present itself again anytime soon. We can't replicate that unless the obsession with shooting goes too far and talented players who aren't good shooters drop in the draft.

And we can't count on losing and being the worst team in basketball on purpose to land a #1 pick and have an all time great ready and waiting for the pickings. It is a model of mediocrity that you are expecting all our problems to be solved by ping pong balls. The epitome of naivety.

you don't even understand what mediocrity means. You're arguing for mediocrity because mediocre is average-unremarkable. For example, the Chicago bulls are mediocre. The Orlando Magic are not mediocre. they're bad.

No, we don't make it without Dwight. But we don't make it without those other pieces either. We damn sure don't make it without Rashard Lewis. We damn sure don't make it without Turkoglu. We don't even make it without Redick or Pietrus. Maybe you can say we don't do it without Jameer since he got hurt halfway through that year, but we didn't just say "oh well we have Dwight that's all we need", we brought in Rafer Alston because we wouldn't have made it without him either.

Basketball is a team game. You can't just rely on drafting one guy to solve your problems. You need to keep adding pieces. And when the ping pong balls aren't falling your way, and when a LeBron James isn't coming out in the draft, you have to find other ways of building your team.

Funny thing, between the 3 most dominant teams in the league right now, there's all of one top pick that was drafted by that team to turn their fortunes around. Kyrie. LeBron, free agent (yes he was drafted by Cleveland, but left for Miami and came back as a free agent). Love, trade. Steph, Klay, Draymond, drafted lower than top 5. Durant, free agent. Kahwi, Parker, Ginoboli, drafted lower than top 5. Gasol, free agent. Aldridge, free agent. You gotta drop down to the Celtics to find another player that was drafted top 5 by his team, and then you can add on Marcus Smart as a #6 pick as well. Isaiah Thomas? Trade. Crowder? Trade.

It's almost like the top teams in the NBA are telling you tanking for top picks doesn't work.

On top of what everyone has said, both Houston and Cleveland tanked to get Olajuwon and LeBron. Boston attempted to tank but used the draft pick, Jeff Green at 5, to get KG.

Your trying to put the cart before the horse. Without Dwight, the horse, there's no telling who we would've signed or traded for.

You dont even need an all time great. just someone like 9 out of the last 14 number one picks. 11 if you wanted to include Rose and Oden.

or

2 of the last 14 number two picks

or

4 of the last 14 number three picks

or

5 of the last 14 number four picks

you find one of those guys 36% of the time. and if theres 20 in the last 14 drafts and you have superior scouting and the number 2 pick you wont let that good player fall to four.

You dont need an all time great. Lillard is fine. Jimmy Butler is fine. Kemba Walker is fine.

Boston hasn't won a playoff series with this core and doesn't have to tank because they have Brooklyn doing that for them.

Lebron doesn't count. we cant count on an all time great growing up 10 minutes from Orlando and wanting to come here for societal reasons.

and you're still missing the point. Without any of those other players we would have replaced them with similar but different players. and maybe we don't specifically make the finals without those specific players. but we would still be contenders with Dwight and ____

I think you could argue that Lebron wouldn't have gone back without Kyrie and the #1 pick, which got them Love. He wanted to play close to home and win Cleveland a championship, but he wanted to win more. I think he, rightly, saw Cleveland as a better place to do that then Miami with the younger group in Cleveland. AKA, they needed to tank to get Lebron back.

Also, I would argue that he wouldn't have the same feelings of obligation if he hadn't been drafted by Cleveland in the first place.

I think you could argue that Lebron wouldn't have gone back without Kyrie and the #1 pick, which got them Love. He wanted to play close to home and win Cleveland a championship, but he wanted to win more. I think he, rightly, saw Cleveland as a better place to do that then Miami with the younger group in Cleveland. AKA, they needed to tank to get Lebron back.

Also, I would argue that he wouldn't have the same feelings of obligation if he hadn't been drafted by Cleveland in the first place.

eh I dont want to presume Lebron's motivations. I could argue he won his championships, preserved his legacy, and could afford to go back to Cleveland to fix "the decision".

I think there's a scenario where Ray Allen doesn't hit that three, he only wins one and goes to San Antonio or Indiana or Chicago or maybe even the clippers.

you don't even understand what mediocrity means. You're arguing for mediocrity because mediocre is average-unremarkable. For example, the Chicago bulls are mediocre. The Orlando Magic are not mediocre. they're bad.

So wait, by saying that what the Magic have been doing is bad, not mediocre, is supposed to disprove my point somehow?

So wait, by saying that what the Magic have been doing is bad, not mediocre, is supposed to disprove my point somehow?

its ironic calling someone naïve while simultaneously using words you dont understand. that was my point.

And then to top it off, you go and call Chicago mediocre, and then cite their team building model as a model to follow?

Uh... What?

No wonder I don't take your philosophy seriously.

And why would you include Oden on a list of successful draft picks?

You cite a bunch of successful top picks, but then go on to say that all those teams are mediocre.

I mean, I don't see Philly, Minnesota, or Chicago, with all their top picks, dominating the league with their tanking like tanking is supposed to do, right?