Sign in to follow this  
JJZFL

GAMETHREAD: JAZZ @ MAGIC

So according to Vogels press conference, Hezonja sat so the vets can play.

Mario was showing signs of getting it together lately and we bench him. Not sure why every coach does this to him when it has been shown that it messes with his confidence. He seemed to be getting it back, confidence that is, and I hope he doesn't lose it. Vogel is making a mistake if he sits Mario another full game I think.

It seemed like Mario was given the green light and when he finally started making a few he gets benched. That sends a mixed message I feel. You know a Gordon, a Fournier, or someone like an Oladipo would respond to something like this, but has Hezonja grown enough since Skiles that he will respond? I don't know if he has.

People always are saying he needs to man up or that he needs to tough mentally and similar things. That is not how every player thinks. Before he began seeing a sports psychologist, he was shy, timid, and not the person we see now. So, it's not something that comes naturally to some players.

Mario was touted as some cocky overconfident and selfish player. I think he must have really been affected by hearing this so much that he completely changed and because he wasn't what everyone said, he over corrected and lost some of that self confidence and aggressiveness on the court along the way. I really think Skiles broke him down even more (Skiles was not the nicest guy).

He seems to be getting it back under Vogel. So I am hoping this doesn't hurt that. Mario is still quite young so who knows how he would react if this lasts a few games. Earlier I was giving Vogel benefit of the doubt. But, after hearing that I don't like it. We need to play him for him to improve and we really could have used him tonight. During that slump could have been a game changer. The only vet who did anything was DJ. I agreed with starting Green but we need more from him. He should average 12 a game easily. Hezonja should get those minutes. Watson sure wasn't doing much. Wasn't he good before? I remember this board clamoring for him for years and we haven't even seen flashes that he was ever good.

#Free Mario

Did you hear the part where he said he was considering benching Elfrid at first but then went with AG? He first denied it was messing up the offense but then said AG played better with the floor spread out with shooters.

Next lineup:

DJ/Fournier/AG/Isukah/Vuch

Book it.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Jodie Meeks get a lot of PT when he gets up to par.

I think sitting Hezonja tonight was a big mistake.

Yes, we needed him to get his one 3-pointer to break through that slump. I think we stuck with Biz and the bench too long. Skiles did that alot too with Jason Smith. I never thought I would miss Nicholson in the low post and Jason Smith from up top shooting. They were reliable for a couple baskets a game and sometimes much more. We could really use several players we let go. They were better than what we have now for sure. Andrew worked himself into a decent scoring threat .

Does anyone else think Rob could have been more patient with some players ? I mean if Skiles was wanting out in January , why on Earth would we give up Harris to appease that coach? Maybe we could have traded Harris for Ibaka versus Dipo. Maybe Gordon instead. We'd be way better off .

I think sitting Hezonja tonight was a big mistake.

Am I the only one concerned over this? I don't think it was a mistake at all. Rudez was +9 while on the floor. It's not moving the needle but he knows where to be defensively. He didn't cost us points or possessions. That's a plus for the team but what does it say about Hezonja?

If you have any pride at all how can you let...Damjan Rudez take your minutes?

#Free Mario

This is a good narrative but the fact remains. Vogel who I think is a smart guy made a team decision, to give the team a chance to win the game. Either we believe Vogel is on rocks or Hezonja is no better than a 30 yr old vet who...honestly there's nothing to write about Rudez.

He draws double teams and is a great passer. His defense sucks as much as Ibaka's offense does however.

That's the thing, if his shot isn't falling he doesn't draw double teams and he doesn't look to pass. My initial post wasn't about Vucevic every game; when his shot is falling he makes much better plays on offense and nice passes and even tries harder on defense, when he can't make a shot he doesn't do anything else either.

That's the thing, if his shot isn't falling he doesn't draw double teams and he doesn't look to pass. My initial post wasn't about Vucevic every game; when his shot is falling he makes much better plays on offense and nice passes and even tries harder on defense, when he can't make a shot he doesn't do anything else either.

He's soft as hell on setting screens too.

Benching Mario to me was an mistake. He was starting to show some progress.

Why does the kid have such an short leash?

Also, we're clearly better with an small lineup so why does Vogel not see that's where we need to go? He keeps forcing this big lineup that loses the lead as soon as it gets on the court.

DJ/Fournier/Mario/AG/Biz

• Upvote 1

I don't want my opinion to come across as gospel but I truly believe that we have to make a choice that helps our team score, and that is to have a motion offense.

If you look at the Golden State Warriors before KD got there, they didn't really have that LeBron / Paul George type wing that was really tall and could break down the defense. They weren't amazingly athletic but they gave their shooters space and were at their best when Bogut was benched, playing Draymond at the 5.

We aren't that athletic either, so we have to adopt an offense similar to the Warriors or even the Hawks or Rockets. For that you'd obviously need a primary ball handler that could pass, dribble and shoot (aka NOT Elfrid Payton).

Vucevic is also a burly, long 2 taker or back to the basket guy that slows down the offense. He's basically a poor man's Brook Lopez and look at that guy's career. He gets the stats but no one can win having him as the focal point of the offense

Rant over

Benching Mario to me was an mistake. He was starting to show some progress.

Why does the kid have such an short leash?

Also, we're clearly better with an small lineup so why does Vogel not see that's where we need to go? He keeps forcing this big lineup that loses the lead as soon as it gets on the court.

DJ/Fournier/Mario/AG/Biz

Agreed 100%

Since Dwight left, most of our "building blocks" like Aaron Gordon, Victor Oladipo, Evan Fournier, Tobias Harris, Mario Hezonja have been in and out of the starting lineup, but for some god forsaken reason Elfrid Payton and Nikola Vucevic have a green light and are NEVER benched. That isn't even considered when in my opinion they are the most one dimensional guys out of all the ones I mentioned

Truly unbelievable

Agreed 100%

Since Dwight left, most of our "building blocks" like Aaron Gordon, Victor Oladipo, Evan Fournier, Tobias Harris, Mario Hezonja have been in and out of the starting lineup, but for some god forsaken reason Elfrid Payton and Nikola Vucevic have a green card and are NEVER benched. That isn't even considered when in my opinion they are the most one dimensional guys out of all the ones I mentioned

Truly unbelievable

It is and I'm sick of it. Two coaches we've brought in with the plan being player development yet the guys they're trying to develop are benched while vets get more PT despite being those vets being thenmain culprit to our problems.

Ibaka, Fournier's inability to defend or aid in ball movement, Vuch's lack of intensity, Jeff Green's inconsistencies, Channing Fryes horrid defense during an time when we needed defense, it's just unheard of.

We can't seem to commit to our youth and it's unreal. Practice all you want but you gotta give them real game PT because that's where it counts.