Sign in to follow this  
JJZFL

GAMETHREAD: JAZZ @ MAGIC

This team needs Hezonja and Meeks. I almost think that shooting is the biggest weakness of this team. We are good when we shoot decent. But, we always hit a 6-8 min stretch where we miss everything.

Our defense can only carry our team for about 4-5 possessions. It's inexcusable to go that long without a basket. We simply need more scoring.

Payton has games like this, but he needs those around him to shoot well to be effective.

Biyombo should not be given the ball unless it's for a dunk. We need some alley-oops to him.

We show flashes and I believe we will eventually get it all together, but will it be too late?

If we can acquire Gay or another scorer, we need to pull the trigger. Ibaka and Biyombo have been at their best with a scorer on their team, we need someone who can score. Fournier can do it if he has another good shooter with him. It doesn't need to be a star. Last year, we always had either Dipo or Fournier scoring and inside we were bad defensively. We addressed the interior at the expense of our offense. If we could snag Hayward or someone like that is the offseason while retaining our interior things will change. If Hezonja got it going regularly we might have that player already, but that might be another year or two away. We either need a scoring and shooting PG or another scorer greater than or equal to Fournier. We need to be on Haywards doorstep when Free Agency starts.

Yeah but he brings what we need right now. And his defense can be improved with someone better than Ibaka playing with him.

I disagree with his defense being able to be improved. This has been him his entirety of his career. He is what he is on defense.

If I were running the Orlando Magic, every decision I made would be run through one filter: how does this set up Aaron Gordon's future?

Per Kevin Pelton

The smartest thing Pelton has ever said!

If I were running the Orlando Magic, every decision I made would be run through one filter: how does this set up Aaron Gordon's future?

Per Kevin Pelton

And that's why he isn't running a franchise.

I agree. Gordon is very athletic, but so far hasn't really developed the skills to be a good 3, and may be undersized at the 4. So I'm not sure how much he's bringing to the team at the moment.

I agree with much that was said the last few pages. However, at least tonight we stayed competitive and didn't embarrass ourselves before a home crowd by getting blown out in the first half. We always knew that scoring would be a problem with this team, and we hoped we could count on our defense. Tonight that worked for 3 quarters.

I'm taking credit for our having a better defensive effort tonight. I believe it was due to my starting this game thread.

I think he might be right about this.

Elfrid and AG just looks horrible because your developing two guys with same problems. However, I saw a lot more offensive potential tonight in AG as an 3(than Payton) with an spread out floor and an PG who's at least competent with the ball and ability to score, shoot, and penetrate.

P4TW was absolutely right about picking one and I firmly believe Payton as our PG needs to end. We need to focus on putting (talented) pieces around AG and developing Mario as well.

So according to Vogels press conference, Hezonja sat so the vets can play.

Mario was showing signs of getting it together lately and we bench him. Not sure why every coach does this to him when it has been shown that it messes with his confidence. He seemed to be getting it back, confidence that is, and I hope he doesn't lose it. Vogel is making a mistake if he sits Mario another full game I think.

It seemed like Mario was given the green light and when he finally started making a few he gets benched. That sends a mixed message I feel. You know a Gordon, a Fournier, or someone like an Oladipo would respond to something like this, but has Hezonja grown enough since Skiles that he will respond? I don't know if he has.

People always are saying he needs to man up or that he needs to tough mentally and similar things. That is not how every player thinks. Before he began seeing a sports psychologist, he was shy, timid, and not the person we see now. So, it's not something that comes naturally to some players.

Mario was touted as some cocky overconfident and selfish player. I think he must have really been affected by hearing this so much that he completely changed and because he wasn't what everyone said, he over corrected and lost some of that self confidence and aggressiveness on the court along the way. I really think Skiles broke him down even more (Skiles was not the nicest guy).

He seems to be getting it back under Vogel. So I am hoping this doesn't hurt that. Mario is still quite young so who knows how he would react if this lasts a few games. Earlier I was giving Vogel benefit of the doubt. But, after hearing that I don't like it. We need to play him for him to improve and we really could have used him tonight. During that slump could have been a game changer. The only vet who did anything was DJ. I agreed with starting Green but we need more from him. He should average 12 a game easily. Hezonja should get those minutes. Watson sure wasn't doing much. Wasn't he good before? I remember this board clamoring for him for years and we haven't even seen flashes that he was ever good.

#Free Mario