Sign in to follow this  
The Neighborhood Bully

GAME THREAD: SACRAMENTO KINGS @ ORLANDO MAGIC

The Orlando Magic don’t need a reminder about how Sacramento Kings center DeMarcus Cousins can dominate a game.

He did it to them less than a year ago, on Nov. 21, 2015.

Cousins single-handedly controlled the run of play. He piled up 29 points, 12 rebounds, six assists, three blocks and three steals and the Kings beat the Magic 97-91 at Amway Center.

Worse, his physicality seemed to intimidate his opponents. The only person who stood up to Cousins that night was then-Magic coach Scott Skiles. In the first quarter, Skiles talked to a referee about a call, and Cousins then said something pleading his case to the referee. Incensed, Skiles yelled, “I’m not talking to you! When I talk to you, I’ll let you know!"

Skiles received a technical foul, but the Magic (1-3) need that kind of fight when they host the Kings (2-3) tonight.

“We’re definitely going to have our hands full just making sure we’re accounting for him,” said the Magic’s new coach, Frank Vogel. “His ability to shoot the ball from the perimeter, his driving game, and obviously in the low post and the offensive rebounds he’s as good as it gets.”

The Magic defeated the Kings once last year, but that victory carried a 6-foot-11, 270-pound asterisk with it. Cousins missed that game in Sacramento because he was serving a one-game suspension for conduct detrimental to the team.

There’s no doubt about Cousins’ talents.

USA Basketball selected him to their Olympic team this past summer, and he helped the U.S. win the gold medal.

Cousins has carried that momentum into this season. He’s averaging 26.8 points, 9.6 rebounds and 2.6 assists per game.

“A very, very good player,” Magic center Nikola Vucevic said. “Probably the best big man we have in the NBA right now. Very dominant. He’s been playing really great for the past few seasons. So [he’s] obviously a big load down there. We’ll have to do our best to limit him as much as we can.”

The Magic added two big men during the offseason, Serge Ibaka and Bismack Biyombo.

It will be interesting to see if Vogel increases Biyombo’s minutes in order to match him against Cousins.

Sacramento Kings at Orlando Magic

WHERE: Amway Center. WHEN: 7 p.m.

BROADCAST: TV — Fox Sports Florida. RADIO — 580 AM (WDBO). SPANISH BROADCAST — 98.1 FM (WNUE).

THE BUZZ: Keep an eye on speedy Sacramento point guard Ty Lawson. Elfrid Payton and D.J. Augustin must prevent Lawson from driving past them and getting into the open court. . . . The Magic need to improve their defensive rebounding. They rank 27th in the NBA in defensive rebounding percentage, and they need to do a better job limiting opponents to one shot per possession. . . . Kings swingman Rudy Gay is averaging 23.8 points per game and has made an uncharacteristically accurate 51.2 percent of his shot attempts.

http://www.orlandose...1103-story.html

Cousins has been one of my favorite players for a while now, but I know that at least half the folks on here have expressed their opinions that he would be a negative influence on this team. It would sure make watching this team less painful to me, but I'm not much of a Magic Kingdom fan anymore I guess.