Soul Bro

2016-2017 Trade Idea Thread

I just think smart is one of those (this is going to initially look like a bad example but try to work with me here) Leandro Barbosa, JJ Barea "oh my god this guy came into the game, threw everything into chaos, and my team went from down 5 to up 11 in 5 minutes".

He's an act of nature. but he's not a "start this guy every game" player. Because for every big game he has there's a 1-4, 4 turnover turn a comfortable lead into a loss game.

Maybe but the steals and rebounds go against those comparisons.

I am in the same boat. The physical style smart brings is nice and I love that--but the NBA has gone away from that.

I'd rather have elite scorers that are average defenders than elite defenders who are average scorers.

Problem is teams aren't giving those up. In fact, they're handcuffing themselves to them.

I think that's the wrong way to look at things.

I think you need both. Smart is fine if you stick him next to Thomas, Horford, Crowder (all super efficient scorers, two of which are also great defenders). Smart would suck if we stuck him next to payton-gordon- and biyombo.

Smart/Fournier/Ross/Gordon/Biz though?

Honestly Id love to have Bradley but Ainge won't trade him unless it's for Butler.

lol if we trade for smart. shows how much confidence we have in Payton.

I always questioned Payton. Liked him as a rook but signs were there the following season.

One difference is the form on EP's compared to Smart's. EP's is horrendous.

EP has been a huge disappointment for me. I remember the night we drafted him and AG and I was so excited thinking that we had our PG and PF of the future. One of the biggest attributes I look for in athletes is players that try hard every night and leave everything on the floor. Too many nights I have seen him looking like he just doesn't care (By the way that is my biggest problem with VUC as well). Sports are meant to be played with aggression, sometimes a quiet aggression but aggression none the less. The guys on this team except AG and Mario play like they have something better to do.

Still a big fan of his and I hope he can turn it around but as of now im disappointed.

I mean yes and no. I still think if you just have a team full of elite scorers who play average defense--you can do without an elite defender.

Sure a mix of both works too.

Isn't the counterpoint for this Portland or Minnesota or the 07-08 golden state Warriors?

Or why everyone in the world would rather have Rudy Gobert than brook lopez

Here's what detroit is trying to do

2 versions: Either Lou Williams & Hezonja coming here. Hilliard RJax to Magic. Augustine and protected 17 to LAL https://t.co/GyPx3ocPjn

Or....adding in Elfrid Payton to Det and a protected #1 in 18 to Magic along w Beno, Bullock and a future 2 pick to Magic. https://t.co/GyPx3ocPjn

Isn't the counterpoint for this Portland or Minnesota or the 07-08 golden state Warriors?

Or why everyone in the world would rather have Rudy Gobert than brook lopez

The best teams in the NBA can score. I'm not denying a mix can work, i said as much--but I'm sick of lousy offense players on this team.

The NBA has gone away from defense. Steve Kerr just said this a couple days ago. You don't have to have elite defenders to be an average to good defensive team.

Danny Ainge to @Toucherandrich: 'We're looking for rim-protection (at the trade deadline.' #Celtics Per Adam Kaufman

Hey Danny, we have a super cool Bismack Biyombo for you :D

• Upvote 2