Soul Bro

2016-2017 Trade Idea Thread

The biggest problem I have with the sports media

Orlando trades for Ibaka

"How could they trade for Ibaka? he's declining and isn't the player he once was. OKC got a steal!"

Orlando trades Ibaka

"How could they trade Ibaka? He can shoot threes and play defense and makes a great big 3 with Lowry and Derozan. Toronto got a steal!"

I'm not going to pretend Oladipo + the 11th pick turning into Ross + the 25th pick in 2017 is some crazy beneficial move for this franchise but we basically spent $100 on a stock, the economy crashed, then sold that stock at $85 when if we waited a week it would have been worth $45 or $0

+1

And I'd give it a -1 if I could. What a terrible analogy. A stock market crash is an unforeseen event. Was Ibaka's contract expiring at the end of this season also an unexpected piece of bad luck? Of course not. This was just another wild gamble, knowing full well when we got Ibaka that if it didn't work out, there could be no plan "B", because we were knowingly putting ourselves in an incredibly weak position. Who wants to give up major assets for a player who can just walk away in 30 or so games?

For all those saying Rob did the best he could with a weak hand; well yes, but he gets no credit for that because he put himself in a position where that's the only kind of hand he could have.

• Upvote 4

Toronto apparently

Toronto really didn't give up major assets though.

And if the other reports I read are true--the market for ibaka was pretty weak.

Toronto really didn't give up major assets though.

And if the other reports I read are true--the market for ibaka was pretty weak.

Eh 6th man and a first aren't minor assets

Edit: i guess it's relative

Liked it when I saw the rumor her, like it still.

Ross has a smooth game. Maybe he'll develop lead scorer mentality (he certainly has the chance now...)

If Boston didn't trade for Ibaka because they value Rozier that much that's absurd. Good move by Toronto too. The #2 spot in the ECF is wide open, gotta go for it when you have that chance.

I'd bet this will be our last move of the year. I'm not certain Henny has 100% freedom at this point, and I don't see anything else we could really do to improve our future outlook until the summer.

Liked it when I saw the rumor her, like it still.

Ross has a smooth game. Maybe he'll develop lead scorer mentality (he certainly has the chance now...)

If Boston didn't trade for Ibaka because they value Rozier that much that's absurd. Good move by Toronto too. The #2 spot in the ECF is wide open, gotta go for it when you have that chance.

I'd bet this will be our last move of the year. I'm not certain Henny has 100% freedom at this point, and I don't see anything else we could really do to improve our future outlook until the summer.

I'd be pretty shocked if today was our last move before the deadline. There's always trades to be made to better the future outlook of the team, and we have quite a few guys that can be moved.

Also, Toronto didn't make the deal for Ibaka to be second best in the East--they did it to beat the Cavs. Not saying they will, but this move gives them a shot (assuming a more motivated version of Ibaka shows up in Toronto).

I'd be pretty shocked if today was our last move before the deadline. There's always trades to be made to better the future outlook of the team, and we have quite a few guys that can be moved.

Also, Toronto didn't make the deal for Ibaka to be second best in the East--they did it to beat the Cavs. Not saying they will, but this move gives them a shot (assuming a more motivated version of Ibaka shows up in Toronto).

I'm thinking Augustin. If Watson is outplaying him there's no point keeping him. And his contract is the only thing preventing us from having maxish cap space

I'm thinking Augustin. If Watson is outplaying him there's no point keeping him. And his contract is the only thing preventing us from having maxish cap space

Good luck finding a team that wants 3 more years on the books for DJ.

Rob should holdout for a homerun deal for Vuch. He's our best trade chip. The contract, his skill set for a big--its in high demand even with his poor defense. I would only trade him for legit return, like Brown from Boston type return.

Would really like to see Green traded to free up minutes at the 3 and 4.

Ross sees the trade as an opportunity.

“I had a great time in Toronto,” Ross said. “I spent five good years there and grew a lot. The city accepted me and I have a lot of memories. But I’m ready to take the next step in my career, and I’m looking forward to the opportunity to play for Frank Vogel and play for the Magic and play for the city. I’m just excited about all this.”

Ross can expect more opportunities in Orlando, despite the team currently ranking last in the Southeast Division. Aaron Gordon should shift from the wing to power forward with Ibaka gone and second-year man Mario Hezonja is not ready to be a starter. Ross certainly has the talent to provide some extra scoring from the wing if given extended minutes. His per 36 minutes scoring average is 16.7 points, a great improvement over what has come to be expected of him, and Ross should also help take some of the pressure off of shooting guard and Magic leading scorer Evan Fournier.

This is exactly why Magic GM Rob Hennigan is the true winner of the trade. He knew Ibaka was of no use to a last place team and instead sent him to a contender willing to pay a high price for his services. In exchange, Orlando now receives a first-round pick on top of the one it already possesses and a player under team control for the next two seasons at a bargain price. Ross's current deal, signed in 2015, is worth $31.5 million over three years and took effect this season. He will earn $10.5 million over the last two years of the contract.

via http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshbenjamin/2017/02/14/terrence-ross-could-benefit-most-from-the-serge-ibaka-trade/#1d03132c659f