Soul Bro

2016-2017 Trade Idea Thread

Call me crazy but I dont think we can blame Hennigan completely.

He has done ok. Lets look back.

He took on a team that was in a very bad position. He dealt DH situation greatly. In fact, what we got in return for DH turn back to be really good. I still think we won that trade.

We have not had any luck on our lottery picks. We did the best we could there. Again, I think he did well with our picks considering our position at the time.

We know that Gordon, payton and mario were not his first choices.

Dipo was our clear pick at the time. No way we knew how Giannis or Gobert will turn out to be the players they are today.

So going back to Gordon and payton. Our first choices were Wiggins and Parker. With Smart as our first choice for PG. unfortunaltely we ended up picking 4th and trading for Payton.

I had no problem with the move then as we were in a position that those were the the best player left at those positions at the time. I cant blame him for trading the pick and returning phil pick for Elfrid. We needed the PG.

Now. Lets talk about Mario.

Henny wanted Towns or porzingis. Unfortunately, we again ended in a rough position in the draft and those players were already taken.

I remember wanting Turner at the time but was ok with the Mario pock as we already had our center position solidify with VUC.

2016 was the year I think was his worst. I was happy with the pick of Sabonis and didnt like the idea of him trading it. I still think there was no need.

Now, lets talk about trades and free agency moves.

In my opinion, He did ok here as well. No perfect but ok. I dont think is fair to look back now and see things differently. I was ok with the Harris and Olafipo trade. Harris played for us for years and didnt really worked out. We got expiring contracts in return which is helping us at the moment. Dipp trade hirt but it was also necessary. Fournier is a very similar player who just signed a long term deal for less of what Dipo will get this year. The inclusion of the 2016 pick was not necessary.

The free agency signings is what I think he has struggle so far. I dont think is entirely his fault but he can do better. I was ok with Augustine and Biz signing. I think we overpay Biz but it is no secret that we will have to overpay players to come here. He has tried to get Millsap forever but he has had no luck. I think Biz was just another secondary move he had to do.

Overall, I think he has been an average GM who has been trying to make it work. I just dont see another GM who can do better considering our market and the willingless of players to come here. We truly have to overpay players in order to have them come here and I think we are now in a position that we can do that.

This is the main reason I think we need to keep Hennigan. He has done move to put ourself in this position. We have our coach and likely we will have our future front court secure(expecting no trades) with Ibaca, Biz and Gordon. We need to get a PG and an experience SF to get us to the next level.

Like I said before, we need to consider all options at this point. He is a smart guy who Im sure is working the phones as we speak.

I think we need to give him at least 2 more years.

I don't think it's fair to say "we have 5 years of losing to prove it" when it was our intention to lose for 3 of those years, if not 4 because last year was more of a "show progress" year, not "make the playoffs". We have one year of losing to prove it and that doesn't feel like enough.

How do you go from 5 years to 1 year of losing?! The fact is we have been losing for 5 years. Where are you seeing that our intention was to lose for 3 years? I remember Rob clearly stating at the beginning that this was going to be "organic growth"

``We’ve stated from the beginning that it’s imperative to allow our growth to develop naturally or organically. We’re not skipping any steps. At the same time we need to start showing some growth and progress and we fully understand that,’’ Hennigan said. ``For us, it’s been about remaining disciplined and patient and we’ll continue to be that way. We’ll measure growth in various ways this season. We’ll use a blend of subjective and objective metrics throughout the season to help us gauge our progress to make sure that our plan is moving in the right direction.’’

Where is the natural growth? Oladipo was traded for Ibaka, and Harris was essentially traded to sign Biyombo. Harkless was dumped, and only Vucevic remains from the start. The team spent all that time developing those guys then proceeded to trade them. Where is the progress and to what are we progressing to? As a reasonable person I will give Rob a pass the first year maybe even the second year, as by then he's had time to implement his vision. But was his vision to play this out then trade for vets like he did? AG is next then.

Maybe it's just me because I've watched fans scream for the giants to fire Jerry Reese for years after a couple bad drafts post super bowls. But that would have been a mistake too.

The NFL is a different beast and I don't know about this example to say otherwise. But those GMs are scouting hundreds of players whereas Rob is scouting in the tens. Idk.

You have to be a process guy instead of a results guy. We know he's a good talent evaluator. He just hasn't put together a complete team.

AG is next by this logic. We've developed him, he's playing a bit better, and he's due for an extension soon. You can argue his value is at his highest its ever been so it's technically a great time to sell.

How do you go from 5 years to 1 year of losing?! The fact is we have been losing for 5 years. Where are you seeing that our intention was to lose for 3 years? I remember Rob clearly stating at the beginning that this was going to be "organic growth"

If you think we weren't tanking the first 3 years I don't know what to tell you

Where is the natural growth? Oladipo was traded for Ibaka, and Harris was essentially traded to sign Biyombo. Harkless was dumped, and only Vucevic remains from the start. The team spent all that time developing those guys then proceeded to trade them. Where is the progress and to what are we progressing to? As a reasonable person I will give Rob a pass the first year maybe even the second year, as by then he's had time to implement his vision. But was his vision to play this out then trade for vets like he did? AG is next then.

Harris was traded to appease Skiles. Harris was an ok player but his play didn't really translate into team success. Pistons fans are starting to see this now and they're all having an argument of whether or not Harris is the problem or the solution. Much like we discussed on here. Harkless was a mercy move because he had fallen out of the rotation with Harris, Gordon, then Hezonja taking his minutes.

The entire point of rebuilding is cultivating assets. We don't have to exclusively build through the draft. we don't have to develop players then keep them forever. You're just building value. Think of it like farming. You have a carrot farm. You don't have a carrot farm because you plan on eating *****ing 50,000 carrots or whatever. You plant your seeds. you develop them. you keep some carrots for yourself. You trade other carrots with the farmer down the street for his potatoes. you sell carrots so that you can get some money to buy other stuff.

Gordon is showing signs of being a guy we can build around. Oladipo was good but from the day we drafted him he had a ceiling that is much lower than Gordon. You think we should have kept oladipo?

The NFL is a different beast and I don't know about this example to say otherwise. But those GMs are scouting hundreds of players whereas Rob is scouting in the tens. Idk.

in both the NFL and the NBA GMs scout a few dozen players. They employ scouts to do most of the work

AG is next by this logic. We've developed him, he's playing a bit better, and he's due for an extension soon. You can argue his value is at his highest its ever been so it's technically a great time to sell.

it depends on what they think his ceiling is. hypothetically if we think at 21 he's basically reached his peak as a 15 ppg player who is going to put up 20 something points once every 4 or 5 games and 6 points or less once every 4 or 5 games then yeah, we should trade him before other people figure that out. But its very likely that he's nowhere near his ceiling so I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen unless someone blows us away with an offer.

yeah I mean he's a stop gap. he's almost 31. what are we going to get? 2 good seasons out of him?

Not interested in Dragic. I don't really think he would add much more than one or two extra wins, especially with the season half over.