Fultz4thewin

2016-2017 Season Discussion Thread

Payton is currently on a 24 game streak of 14.2/5.7/4.8 on 48/24/76 shooting, an 18 to 6 good game/bad game split, improved defense over the last few games, and we're now on a positive net rating over the past 11 games when he's on the court (and significantly negative when he's off it).

At what point are we satisfied with this production?

Payton is currently on a 24 game streak of 14.2/5.7/4.8 on 48/24/76 shooting, an 18 to 6 good game/bad game split, improved defense over the last few games, and we're now on a positive net rating over the past 11 games when he's on the court (and significantly negative when he's off it).

I would like to see him put up those numbers when the games matter. I think it's concerning that him hitting his best stretch of the season coincides with us tanking. I know we haven't been tanking for the past 24 games, but we were heading in that direction.

Ibaka was clearly a huge problem for us this season, so I don't want to discredit that. But Payton has done nothing but continue to reestablish the fact that he's a streaky, inconsistent PG that most likely isn't the guy we need to lead us into the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

Are those numbers supposed to be good? They still scream incredibly mediocre to me.

• Upvote 1

I would like to see him put up those numbers when the games matter. I think it's concerning that him hitting his best stretch of the season coincides with us tanking. I know we haven't been tanking for the past 24 games, but we were heading in that direction.

Ibaka was clearly a huge problem for us this season, so I don't want to discredit that. But Payton has done nothing but continue to reestablish the fact that he's a streaky, inconsistent PG that most likely isn't the guy we need to lead us into the playoffs.

sure, but we know we're not going to get that. It's easy to put up numbers and not have an in game impact. but the difference between Payton and some of the other guys I complain about it he's starting to have a significant positive impact on games. It might end up making sense to keep him if he finishes the year with these same splits. 40 games is a big sample to show continuity.

When he can hit the 3 ball at above atrocious.

Seriously though his latest run has been impressive but he absolutley has to shoot the ball better.

Are those numbers supposed to be good? They still scream incredibly mediocre to me.

yeah, for a third year guy they'd be good.

We don't need our point guard to be an all star. we need our point guard to be positive impact. So if we get Fultz or Ball nothing changes. but if we think Jackson is better than Smith and we're sitting at 3 we don't need to give up on the better player just to fill a perceived hole.

This. Am I supposed to be drooling over Payton for putting up 14/6/5 on a garbage team? My opinion of him is the same, he's streaky and mediocre at best. I think he's best suited to be a backup and upgrading over him probably should and will be offseason priority #1. Especially if we win the lottery.

This. Am I supposed to be drooling over Payton for putting up 14/6/5 on a garbage team? My opinion of him is the same, he's streaky and mediocre at best. I think he's best suited to be a backup and upgrading over him probably should and will be offseason priority #1. Especially if we win the lottery.

Agreed. I take every player's stats with a grain of salt when they play for a horrible team. Even DeMarcus Cousins

When we're winning.

Seriously...That 3 point percentage needs to improve for sure but if you have talent elsewhere and those numbers are what he's giving consistently (key) and you're winning?