Fultz4thewin

2016-2017 Season Discussion Thread

Of all the new free agent signings, perhaps the biggest surprise package has been point guard D.J. Augustin. Initially brought in to provide a stable veteran presence behind starter Elfrid Payton, instead the 29-year-old proved himself to be a dynamic offensive.

He has been able to score the ball at times when the oft-stagnant Magic offense fell apart. His shooting from deep — 37.8 percent from beyond the arc — combined with a crafty wit around the basket that often sees him get to the free throw line, make him a valuable asset in the dying moments of the shot clock.

But things have been far from perfect for Augustin.

He has struggled on the defensive end of the floor, with his defensive box plus-minus standing at -3.6, the second worst figure for his career. He is rarely a disruptive defensive force, averaging just 0.7 steals per-36 minutes, and less than a single disruption per game.

Furthermore, Augustin’s time on the court has actually seen the Magic perform worse than when he is on the bench. With an on/off rating of -4.5 per game — as opposed to Elfrid Payton’s +4.0 — Augustin’s overall contribution to the team can at times be seen as questionable.

This may also reflect his struggles as a playmaker compared to the younger Payton, with Augustin’s time at the one-guard often seeing the Magic’s passing somewhat decline.

http://orlandomagicd...gency-review/2/

Augustine is not starter quality. Very good off bench against lesser comp. Payton should start just for d but we need better wings

Our problem is that Augustine and Payton are both better off the bench and neither of them are starter quality

Our problem is that Augustine and Payton are both better off the bench and neither of them are starter quality

yeah. I think at times augustin is better than payton and at times payton is better than augustin. but nobody should confuse either guy with "legitimate starting point guard"

Any of you guys ever have a car you like break down over and over again? Costly repairs each time? Then you finally realize it's not worth fixing that same old car and you step up and get a newer one? Yeah, that's how I feel about this rebuild. If I'm honest, I'd rather start over again through the draft instead of trying to fix this mess.