Fultz4thewin

2016-2017 Season Discussion Thread

yeah, ideally we have a rotation so there's never a point where Ibaka or biyombo are not on the court.

going by preseason numbers you can definitely see the impact both guys had on the lineups. Gordon was weirdly bad on defense. I wonder if that's a limitation from his ankle injury.

limiting to the last 3 games the starters plus biyombo were all very good on defense so there's hope for Vucevic that maybe the introduction of biyombo and Ibaka is helping him out. Augustin, Green, and Hezonja were pretty bad but I wonder how much of that has to do with lineups that include Wilcox, Rudez, Zimmerman and Onuaku (they were terrible).

I think if we can successfully run lineups with the current 5 starters, biyombo, Augustin, Green, and Hezonja (with meeks and Watson in emergency roles) we should be fine. If we're forced to play the last 4 guys on the bench at all we're in serious trouble.

edit: about the impact of Ibaka and biyombo, guys like augustin who are known for not great defense had good defensive ratings in the preseason overall. in the last three games where biyombo played with the starters more you saw significant drops among the bench players.

Agree with all that. My only concern is about use of Ibaka. He's clearly our best player. The downside to that is that we are likely to be a lot worse in games he doesn't play. I just don't know how well he'll hold up to the pounding of the regular season if he's out there for 35+ a game. But Vogel will have a hard time taking him out in the second half of any close game. The strong temptation is going to be to keep him in there. Again, we saw that even in the preseason.

Agree with all that. My only concern is about use of Ibaka. He's clearly our best player. The downside to that is that we are likely to be a lot worse in games he doesn't play. I just don't know how well he'll hold up to the pounding of the regular season if he's out there for 35+ a game. But Vogel will have a hard time taking him out in the second half of any close game. The strong temptation is going to be to keep him in there. Again, we saw that even in the preseason.

Yeah. Definitely.

I guess we'll see soon enough

Thanks for compiling all the neat stats/observations for us P4W. Very helpful to someone like myself who can't watch as much as I used to.

Anytime.

You haven't missed much. Poor preseason angles on video limited ability to properly see what happened in most games. It was nice of the magic to provide limited viewing of the arena feed but not having the usual sideline high view showed how much i take it for granted

Forget Hunter if Goodwin is available. I've always liked his intangibles he's a really good athlete and was very highly touted in HS. There is not enough minutes on that team for him and I would love if we got rid of onuaku or whoever to get Goodwin.