Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

The media had this pick slotted the whole way. This board is the only place people were predicting/wanting Smith or Monk. What is interesting is that we worked out and interviewed both guys yet still went with isaac.

Sacramento Kings

Additions: Thomas Robinson

Grade: A+

Perfect pick, perfect timing. Robinson may never be an All-Star, but that's what DeMarcus Cousins is for, and Robinson will be his brutal helper as the Kings try to bang their way back toward respectability.

(That didn't sound right.)

Best — every year a power forward gets taken high in the lottery and is expected to show all sorts of touch and handle on the fly. Robinson won't work with those expectations, though he has that talent, in his first year. Again, that's what Cousins is for, and we really hope there's no on-court chemistry hiccup that we're missing as we regard their respective games.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ball-dont-lie/ball-don-t-lie-grades-2012-nba-draft-180352269--nba.html

Sacramento Kings

A : No complaints here -- from me or the Kings. Upon review, it appears that Sacramento was prepared to draft Dion Waiters at No. 5 rather than opt for Michael Kidd-Gilchrist or perhaps even Harrison Barnes, if all three were available. But they never had to make the tough choice when Kansas power forward Thomas Robinson fell to them. He will be a force in the frontcourt with center DeMarcus Cousins, who is quickly becoming one of the best big men in the game. The Kings haven't addressed their need for more defensive presence down low, but Robinson was too good to pass on here. The only downside? The pressure on the Kings intensifies yet again, because this is the second time in three years that a big-time big man fell their way (Cousins was the fifth pick) and it's time for them to start turning this talent into wins.

Sacramento Kings: A-plus

Picks: Thomas Robinson (5)

When Kings fans saw Dion Waiters strolling to the stage with Cavaliers gear on his head, their hearts must have stopped. A team with pieces in place but no room for additional projects, Sacramento did not want to resort to taking Andre Drummond or stocking the wings with more shoot-first guards. Instead, the second-best player in this draft trickled to the Kings. He will pair perfectly with DeMarcus Cousins, especially if T-Rob can start icing those 12-foot jumpers on a more regular basis.

Read more at http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/06/29/nba-draft-grades-winners-and-losers-part-ii/#HmA3PDbQPvgRWi6x.99

The next 4 picks were lillard, barnes, ross, and Drummond. Sometimes the media overthinks things. Isaac is a safe bet to play for a long time. Doesn't mean he's going to be the best pick for the magic.

Isaac is more advanced with the ball

Maybe. I think Isaac would do best on a team where there is an established star or two who can take some attention away from him and also pass him the ball in good situations. We have none of that. At FSU, Isaac was not really an alpha guy demanding the ball and creating for himself consistently. He wasn't even first option on a college team. I think it will be really easy for him to become lost in the pros on this Magic team unless there is a concerted effort made to focus on him, and get him the ball and some decent looks. Last year, even when Mario was wide open it was rare for anyone to pass him the ball.

Maybe. I think Isaac would do best on a team where there is an established star or two who can take some attention away from him and also pass him the ball in good situations. We have none of that. At FSU, Isaac was not really an alpha guy demanding the ball and creating for himself consistently. He wasn't even first option on a college team. I think it will be really easy for him to become lost in the pros on this Magic team unless there is a concerted effort made to focus on him, and get him the ball and some decent looks. Last year, even when Mario was wide open it was rare for anyone to pass him the ball.

it's going to be interesting to see how we choose to develop him.

do we force feed him reps at the expense of wins?

or do we bring him along slowly, let him be Trevor Ariza for a while then slowly layer skills as he gets comfortable.

eh, I'm not worried about Isaac but we need to develop him correctly. cant screw him like we've done with Gordon.

The "poor" development on Gordon is so over-rated. I happen to think the half year he spent as SF will help him become a well rounded player for years to come. But it certainly helped solidify that he is a PF first.

Isaac's development directly affects Gordon and Mario's development. Do we just throw them out there and say get it done we are focusing on the kid now?

You build them together as they are all very complimentary to each other on both ends of the floor. Isaac and Gordon are a perfect fit to play next to each other. Vogel knows how to develop players and that it should be a fun year to watch them grow. All three can take major steps forward and we still don't break 30 wins. We just need to get them all plenty of playing time. If AG and Elfrid can replicate the month of April they just had this team will take a huge step forward.

The "poor" development on Gordon is so over-rated. I happen to think the half year he spent as SF will help him become a well rounded player for years to come. But it certainly helped solidify that he is a PF first.

he'd look a lot better if we didn't sit him behind channing frye for a while. or tobias. or next to a bunch of guys who cant shoot leaving no cutting lanes into the paint.

it's going to be interesting to see how we choose to develop him.

do we force feed him reps at the expense of wins?

or do we bring him along slowly, let him be Trevor Ariza for a while then slowly layer skills as he gets comfortable.

There is no way Vogel does something at the expense of wins if last year told us anything.

There is no way Vogel does something at the expense of wins if last year told us anything.

he played biyombo and vucevic at the same time and started jeff green.

• Upvote 1

You build them together as they are all very complimentary to each other on both ends of the floor. Isaac and Gordon are a perfect fit to play next to each other. Vogel knows how to develop players and that it should be a fun year to watch them grow. All three can take major steps forward and we still don't break 30 wins. We just need to get them all plenty of playing time. If AG and Elfrid can replicate the month of April they just had this team will take a huge step forward.

They're perfect except they all blend into the same positions. Along with the other kid we got that will take me years to learn to spell. It just seems like we have a lot jam of frontcourt players with no idea who any of them are or what's best for them. Something might be good for 1 but a disaster for the other 2.

There is no balance just a bunch of question marks.

he'd look a lot better if we didn't sit him behind channing frye for a while. or tobias. or next to a bunch of guys who cant shoot leaving no cutting lanes into the paint.

And that's the point. Though strange, I believe this new management based on experience, will have a tighter reign on the coaching staff. Henny to me was still a good eye for talent, but didn't fit the pieces together. I'm trusting that this new management is looking for multidimensional players with freakish length, and will have a tighter leash on Vogel and his development team. Gordon is our baby and deserves to develop appropriately. I happen to think that our pieces still has viability. Look at Minnesota. Everyone thinks they had it all going for them, but even they are still at the developmental phase. We need to tank anyways, until Lebron is out of the picture. I'm one of the few guys left who actually think we can be a good team if we put Fournier and Vuc in the second lineup. I believe to start, this SL could win games:

Biyombo

Gordon

Hezonja

Ross

Payton

Vuc

Isaac

Fournier

Meeks

Augustin

We are better by subtraction of Green. We are better by subtraction removing Fournier and Vuc from the SL.

• Upvote 1

he played biyombo and vucevic at the same time and started jeff green.

Instead of starting Mario so he could develop. Green started because he thought that was the best way to win. What did he do weird to sacrifice wins in order develop young talent?