Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

I'm ok with Isaac as the 6th pick. Definitely warmed to it. The rest of the draft is still a mystery for me. Hoping Iwundu proves me wrong but I thought there were better players on the board. The trades still suck. If no player drafted between 25 and 33 ever becomes anything though I guess we'll have got it right.

I'm ok with Isaac too. lets just understand what we actually got with him. a guy who is significantly more likely to be a nice piece that will be severely underrated by the average NBA fan but every nba insider and coach loves because of how rare he is and how creative a coach can be with him.

a pleasant surprise for his career would be "what every coach imagined Rudy Gay could be as they were justifying a trade for him".

Iwundu is exactly what you want from that pick. really good chance to be Keith Bogans.

Chad Ford's Draft Grade: Orlando Magic A-

"New team president Jeff Weltman and new GM John Hammond have a penchant for drafting, long, athletic versatile players who can score from anywhere and defend multiple positions. Both Isaac and Iwundu fit the bill perfectly.

Isaac is especially intriguing. Some scouts believe he has the highest ceiling of anyone in the draft, and yet he might also have the most bust potential of anyone in the top 10. That said, I think he's got a real chance to be a star. He has the physical tools and skills to succeed and should be terrific alongside Aaron Gordon and Nikola Vucevic in the front court.

Iwundu has some playmaking abilities as a wing and is a capable defender. His offense is still unpolished, but if he can hit 3s, he has a chance to stick around."

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/19701292/nba-draft-grades-los-angeles-lakers-new-york-knicks-2017-winners-losers

I think the glaring question mark here in this whole equation, is Payton.

There is a lot of offseason left so who knows what we do, but if he stays I think we have a pretty good picture of what he is. Maybe incremental improvements in his shooting.

Hezonja is the glaring question mark. Everything is there physically, he shot well enough as a rookie, but is he broken mentally?

There is a lot of offseason left so who knows what we do, but if he stays I think we have a pretty good picture of what he is. Maybe incremental improvements in his shooting.

Hezonja is the glaring question mark. Everything is there physically, he shot well enough as a rookie, but is he broken mentally?

He's a question mark no doubt but I think everyone would feel a lot more comfortable and better if we felt good about Payton's ability to shoot.

I didn't project him to be George. I said that is his ceiling while his floor is Harkless.

but that's not really constructive. Dennis Smith's ceiling is the best pick and roll point guard of all time but it doesn't really make sense to discuss him as such because the probability is so low.

Chad Ford's Draft Grade: Orlando Magic A-

"New team president Jeff Weltman and new GM John Hammond have a penchant for drafting, long, athletic versatile players who can score from anywhere and defend multiple positions. Both Isaac and Iwundu fit the bill perfectly.

Isaac is especially intriguing. Some scouts believe he has the highest ceiling of anyone in the draft, and yet he might also have the most bust potential of anyone in the top 10. That said, I think he's got a real chance to be a star. He has the physical tools and skills to succeed and should be terrific alongside Aaron Gordon and Nikola Vucevic in the front court.

Iwundu has some playmaking abilities as a wing and is a capable defender. His offense is still unpolished, but if he can hit 3s, he has a chance to stick around."

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/19701292/nba-draft-grades-los-angeles-lakers-new-york-knicks-2017-winners-losers

This draft is nowhere near the doomsday scenario a lot of people made it out to be.

I'm v surprised DSJ fell all the way to 9. 100% thought Chicago and NYC would've taken him.

Yeah I thought Chicago. Really surprised they went with Markkanenn.

Wonder if there's something there in his personality that's just not jiving with GM's?

I'm v surprised DSJ fell all the way to 9. 100% thought Chicago and NYC would've taken him.

Chicago got Dunn back in the Butler trade and if I recall correctly they wanted to draft him last year and Phil Jackson is just a basket case at this point trying to laughably continue to force the triangle onto the Knicks.

This draft is nowhere near the doomsday scenario a lot of people made it out to be.

its definitely not doomsday. Doomsday was Markkanen.

The draft was disappointing. Not just because of Isaac. Isaac is going to be fine. I'm just not convinced he's the best pick for us and the next few years are going to be a real grind as we figure out what his real position is. He might have growing pains occupying the same space as Gordon. I'm not sure our team is the one who can get the most out of him as vucevic, payton, and Fournier are going to hurt our defense. mismatched fits again. Also I'm not confident Vogel is the best fit for Isaac. Vogel is really slow to adapt to unconventional players. Giving him ostensibly another Gordon when he wasn't very creative with Gordon in year one should make us feel uneasy.

But I can make peace with the Isaac pick. It's not taking advantage of a highly valuable 35th pick when it wouldn't impact our free agency plans (non-guaranteed money), actually saves us money based on how second round picks are counted against the cap, and we could take advantage of the new rules to have a really interesting prospect to give a two way contract to. and even if we didn't want to use it on a player we could have used it to dump salary which might be the difference between signing a replacement level player or a solid player that could help Isaac and our other young players grow.

I think the glaring question mark here in this whole equation, is Payton.

And I'm with you 100%. His hair is like playing with a cowboy hat on with the brim turned down. How can you possibly see the basket well with that? How can you see the open guys without tilting your head back? If he cut that off he just might be able to shoot. Seeing the basket is such a big plus when shooting!

its definitely not doomsday. Doomsday was Markkanen.

The draft was disappointing. Not just because of Isaac. Isaac is going to be fine. I'm just not convinced he's the best pick for us and the next few years are going to be a real grind as we figure out what his real position is. He might have growing pains occupying the same space as Gordon. I'm not sure our team is the one who can get the most out of him as vucevic, payton, and Fournier are going to hurt our defense. mismatched fits again. Also I'm not confident Vogel is the best fit for Isaac. Vogel is really slow to adapt to unconventional players. Giving him ostensibly another Gordon when he wasn't very creative with Gordon in year one should make us feel uneasy.

But I can make peace with the Isaac pick. It's not taking advantage of a highly valuable 35th pick when it wouldn't impact our free agency plans (non-guaranteed money), actually saves us money based on how second round picks are counted against the cap, and we could take advantage of the new rules to have a really interesting prospect to give a two way contract to. and even if we didn't want to use it on a player we could have used it to dump salary which might be the difference between signing a replacement level player or a solid player that could help Isaac and our other young players grow.

I agree about Vogel, it's a concern. But he did oversee the development of Paul George in Indiana so maybe there's hope.