2017 NBA Draft Thread

Latest Chad Ford Pick:

6. Orlando Magic

Jonathan Isaac

Florida State

Freshman

Forward

Other potential draftees: Lauri Markkanen, Dennis Smith, Malik Monk

The Magic continue to lean toward Isaac, but they've also shown significant interest in Lauri Markkanen the past week, and there are some in the organization who feel he's a better fit. The Magic desperately want shooting, and some GMs think Markkanen is the best shooter in the draft. Alas, Markkanen has some major defensive deficiencies that limit his upside.

Isaac has the potential to be a good shooter some day and has much more upside on the defensive end. Given the track records of new front-office executives Jeff Weltman and John Hammond, I think Isaac is the more likely choice. But if they grabbed Markkanen, I wouldn't be shocked.

They have Smith going 9th to the Mavs. Ford says he worked out for the Mavs last week and they were "smitten" with his workout and athleticism.

If we pass on Smith or Isaac for Markkanen, I don't know how I can be exited for the season or our future.

Final mock from Fanrag

6. Orlando Magic: Dennis Smith Jr., N.C. State PG (6-2, Fr.)

I may be in the minority, but I believe the Magic could shake things up in the backcourt by landing Smith. While many prognosticators think they’ll take Jonathan Isaac, I don’t like the fit and Orlando is dying for some creative offense.

Smith creates separation off the dribble better than anyone in this draft not named Markelle Fultz. He is shifty on the perimeter, explosive near the rim and also stops on a dime for jumpers. And despite not having enough floor spacing at N.C. State, he still flashed passing prowess and had 18 games with at least six assists.

25. Orlando Magic (via Toronto Raptors): D.J. Wilson, Michigan PF (6-10, Jr.)

After riding the pine during his first two years of college, Wilson turned heads as a junior. While he didn’t rack up star-caliber numbers, he exhibited alluring versatility. The Magic will value him for his stretch-4 skills and above-the-rim dexterity.

Wilson’s athleticism and soft hands made him a great target on rim-runs. He also flashed some mid-range creativity on turnaround jumpers and step-backs. And Michigan also used him as a spot-up shooter. The percentages indicate he’s comfortable from all three levels; he shot 83 percent at the rim, 48 percent on 2-point jumpers and 37 percent from 3-land.

Wilson has intriguing defensive potential as well. If he adds muscle to his lower and upper body, he’ll blanket both power forwards and centers.

33. Orlando Magic (via Los Angeles Lakers): Jordan Bell, Oregon F (6-9, Jr.)

35. Orlando Magic: Tony Bradley, North Carolina C (6-11, Fr.)

https://www.fanragsp...-round-edition/

here's part 2 of that big draft report from the other day

https://capstrategist.com/2017/06/22/2017-draft-big-board-tiers-3-6/

dude is brutal with fox

1.If you draft Fox he has to be your primary initiator because no one is going to guard him off ball. You can use some motion principles with him but it’s likely going to have to be spread pick-and-roll because again no one is going to treat him as a shooting threat. If you have the fulcrum of your offense as Fox with the ball in pick-and-roll, every team is going to go under, incentivizing Fox to shoot. That automatically cuts off so many high value opportunities and advantage situations to teams who can force help with those plays. You can screen closer to the foul line and re-screen like Kentucky did in the first matchup against UCLA to get Fox closer to the basket, but you’re still talking about inefficient floaters or pull-ups as the fulcrum of your offense. The value of a lead guard who can shoot that scheme-changing shot isn’t just the 3 but more so opening up the rest of the offense. That is lost with Fox in his present form.

2.Fox is not a speed to power athlete. At 170 pounds I question his ability to carve out lanes getting to the basket with his body and finish over and through NBA caliber length/strength (he again struggled in certain matchups against low level NBA rim protectors this year). Guys like Wall, Rose, and Westbrook have the frames AND the dynamic burst to get to their spots and finish through contact on high volume despite defenders not respecting their shots. Fox does not have the build to do that, lacking the balance with skinny legs and a frail frame. If he had Dennis Smith’s body I might have Fox #1 or #2 in this class. He does not, and I don’t see his frame (especially skinny lower body) being able to add difference-making strength. Dennis Schoeder has a similar body type (entered the league at 165) and was only able to add 7 pounds of strength. That’s more the trajectory I see with Fox. It’s a lot different finishing over or around one dynamic NBA rim protector than it is attacking a college crowd. I don’t like him in those one-on-one matchups where physicality matters if he can’t get the corner. He’s likely going to be a good finisher, but for what he is as an archetype he needs to be great efficiency wise, and I don’t see it.

3.So what if his shooting improves? I also don’t like his shot form or confidence. His two-motion release is more conducive to bigger, stronger wings who have the strength to shoot with NBA range. Fox doesn’t have that body strength to extend out with his current motion. I prefer guard shooters who have one-motion releases, allowing for greater energy transference which enhances arc and range capability. I am most certainly not a shooting coach, and Fox’s form could be fixable for people way smarter and more qualified than me, but given what I know I can’t operate with that presumption. I know people often cite Mike Conley, but I’ve watched Conley’s college shooting tape and despite some mechanical similarities (Fox brings the ball back towards his forehead and flexes past 90 degrees a bit more) Conley was more comfortable shooting from range on film. He took some deep, fluid threes, showing at least some confidence in his shot. At .15 Fox’s attempt rate is obscenely low, and that is reflected on film passing up open perimeter shots.

4.I don’t think Fox’s ancillary skills are worth the multi-year investment that it will likely take to iron out his shooting (*if* it is ironed out). Fox isn’t a dynamic playmaker for others to me. He’s actually a rather rudimentary one, who is best described as capable of making simple reads when he can collapse defenses with his speed. He’s not a Conley level of natural playmaker for others, and isn’t anywhere close to John Wall in terms of vision and of course tools. He’s Tony Parker esque in terms of style and floater touch, and Parker thrived in one of the most outlier franchise settings in all of sports. Fox is not going to San Antonio.

5.Fox’s defense in terms of how he’s perceived impact wise is overrated. It’s incredibly difficult to bring one-positional elite point of attack defense, which is already the defensive position with the smallest value. There were only seven +1 ORPM point guard defenders in the regular season last year (Paul, Beverley, Holiday, Lowry, MCW, Hill and Grant). All of those players have some combination of strength, length size and/or agility. Fox only has agility. He might be an even defender in the league which has value, but impact wise he doesn’t project to be a plus.

also for those comparing fox to payton:

I want to make something clear: I like Fox WAY more than Elfrid Payton or Michael Carter-Williams types. He’s so much faster and quicker, possessing more natural scoring instincts, which makes those comparisons not analogous. I probably wouldn’t even rank players of those ilk at all. Fox is intriguing enough with his package of abilities that the low % chance he shoots reasonably well should command a spot in the lottery because there is tangible upside with his ability to get into the teeth of the defense at high volume. But I can’t go any higher than this.

also for those comparing fox to payton:

That is good to know. He might be available at 6 the way things are playing out.

I will be ok with either Isaac, Fox, Jackson or Smith.

I think we are in a good spot.

I wish we can somehow trade Fournier and Vuc and the #25 to either Dallas or Sac. for the #9 or # 10 pick.

Tremendous appetite around the NBA to trade into the Top 4 to select Kansas' Josh Jackson, league executives tell @TheVertical.