Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

Reading all your comments, apparently every player is not NBA ready or an upcoming bust.

Lonzo is a bust

Jackson cannot shoot and a bust

Fox cannot shoot and is probably a bust

Tatum is not athletic enough

Smith is a big gamble and injury prone

Isaac is a bust

Ntilikina is a bust

Markannen is a bust

So, why are we even drafting?

If there were sure things they'd go number 1

He doesn't have Monk like explosiveness but he's athletic enough. He's deceptively quick.

His athleticism is on par with PG, Kawhi, Granger, etc.

He's deceptively quick because they played him against college fours.

He was too slow to beat college threes so he posted them up

Hey if you guys have like 4 hours to kill read this: https://capstrategist.com/2017/06/20/2017-draft-big-board-tiers-1-and-2/

Its the most in depth draft guide I've ever seen

I really enjoyed his analysis of the first few players. I personally felt like he didn't put as much thought into the Tatum and Jackson pieces. I am really surprised how high he has Monk, his section was by far the most ambitious of the group. In the Tatum piece he lists the median as a rich man's Harrison barnes, but the ceiling as a poor man's Carmelo. I personally think a rich man's Barnes is better than a poor man's Carmelo.

– Which team may be most likely to wheel and deal on draft night? It could be Portland. The Blazers own three first-round picks (16, 20, 26) and want to package those with a player to move up the board.

– Markelle Fultz’s lack of winning at Washington has taken immense attention off N.C. State’s Dennis Smith, who was a starting point guard on a team that went 15-17 despite winning a road game at Duke early in ACC play. A freak athlete, Smith was believed to the best point guard in this draft class before tearing his ACL a few years ago.

– Malik Monk’s inability to play multiple positions has him labeled as a potential first guard off the bench on a good team, but not a starter right now according to most NBA executives. “He can really score the ball, but he’s a two trapped in a one’s body,” one NBA general manager told FanRag Sports. “Right now, he’s being viewed in the Lou Williams/Jamal Crawford type mold.”

– All three of Oregon’s draft prospects — Tyler Dorsey, Dillon Brooks, and Jordan Bell — are likely to be selected anywhere in the 28-40 range, a source told FanRag Sports.

– I’m hearing Indiana has its eyes on Houston’s Damyean Dotson if he’s still on the board when the Pacers select at 47 in the second round. The 6-5 wing can score (17.4 points), rebound (6.9), defend his position, and made 108 3-point shots last season for the Cougars.

https://www.fanragsp...2017-nba-draft/

I really enjoyed his analysis of the first few players. I personally felt like he didn't put as much thought into the Tatum and Jackson pieces. I am really surprised how high he has Monk, his section was by far the most ambitious of the group. In the Tatum piece he lists the median as a rich man's Harrison barnes, but the ceiling as a poor man's Carmelo. I personally think a rich man's Barnes is better than a poor man's Carmelo.

I think its more archetypes than actual players. so he could be a better offensive version of Harrison barnes (barnes was a 4th option open shot maker. tatum can be a third option guy who can be relied on more for offense as he's more comfortable taking on that role). or he could be a worse offensive version of Carmelo (has those #1 option tendencies but lacks the same effortless blow bys in the pick and role like Carmelo showed in his college year. So he's lacking the top level talent Carmelo had but could be a reduced version of that).

Not even close

Go watch PG in college then immediately watch Tatum afterwards.

You're overrating PG'S athleticism. He's not explosive like a Josh Jackson. He could leap but not the most quickest player.

I think Kawhi's athleticism is what I see in Tatum.

here's chad ford's version of an "A" draft for us

Orlando Magic

Top needs: Shooting, SF

No. 6: Dennis Smith, PG, North Carolina State

No. 25: Tyler Lydon, F, Syracuse

I'm with Kevin Pelton that Smith has probably been underrated thanks to playing on a poor North Carolina State team this year. He's an elite athlete who can get his shot off from anywhere and he has good passing instincts. He's a nice change of pace from Elfrid Payton and I think the two could share a backcourt together at times.

Lydon might have been a lottery pick last year but didn't show any real dramatic improvement this season. Still, he can shoot and protect the rim. The Magic can use a little of both.

http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/19649392/chad-ford-grade-nba-mock-draft-best-fits-markelle-fultz-lonzo-ball-more