Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

I wish that someone trades up and takes Monk, that would mean that Tatum likely falls to us which at this point would be a steal at 6. That being said I don't see someone taking Monk that early.

It would be nice if we could get another pick between 7-10, there will be some incredible value there.

https://www.almightyballer.com/ode-to-oden-ep-33-cole-zwicker/ good podcast detailing Smith, Bell, and Ojeleye which I'd be thrilled if we got all 3.

smith points:

-team source says smith's wingspan is 6'5

-second most upside in the draft

-should benefit better from nba spacing due to ****ty nc state roster and 3-2 zone from other teams.

-injury improvement should come with trust in his body. specifically references a time where he was going at frank Jackson in the open court and decided to pull up instead of attack.

-chance he will drop because lack of effort at times is messing with his projection

-good frame and strong

-deceptive first step

-explosive; vertically and horizontally

-not a pure shooter, more of a shot maker with deep range. inconsistency~ smith has inconsistent motions but it goes in. someone like monk is like ray allen, Durant, perfect form.

-projects ok off ball. didn't really see that a lot.

-can catch and shoot and with movement.

-probably the most inconsistent guy as a passer. some games doesn't do high level one handed passing (which is important in the pick and roll for timing. don't need to waste a motion bringing in your other hand) next game throws one handed passes a bunch. so sometimes it looks like he's a iffy passer, sometimes he looks great. There's a disconnect between his vision and his decision making. He has the vision but decision making is noticeable.

-handle is really good ->elite. low and balanced. good reaction. Feel this is the most projectable elite trait.

-asthetically comparable to Westbrook. i.e. passing to guys who are already open because he draws defenders vs passing guys open (self gravity)

-three level finishing ability. hang in the air adjuster. finishes with both hands. loves going left. craft around the rim. finishes against contact going after nba level athletes (specifically Isaac and patton who both project as good nba defenders). 37% of his shots came at the rim but only 22% were assisted so he's getting to the rim by himself. shot 65%.

-ft rate is 48.6% which is crazy high.

-Weakness: Decision making at all levels. passing, tunnel vision, bad shots. doesn't see guys sometimes. turnovers are a little high. not kris dunn high but concerning.

theres a bunch more but I don't feel like transcribing any more.

smith points:

-should benefit better from nba spacing due to ****ty nc state roster and 3-2 zone from other teams.

-injury improvement should come with trust in his body. specifically references a time where he was going at frank Jackson in the open court and decided to pull up instead of attack.

-chance he will drop because lack of effort at times is messing with his projection

-good frame and strong

-deceptive first step

-not a pure shooter, more of a shot maker with deep range. inconsistency~ smith has inconsistent motions but it goes in. someone like monk is like ray allen, Durant, perfect form.

-probably the most inconsistent guy as a passer. some games doesn't do high level one handed passing (which is important in the pick and roll for timing. don't need to waste a motion bringing in your other hand) next game throws one handed passes a bunch. so sometimes it looks like he's a iffy passer, sometimes he looks great. There's a disconnect between his vision and his decision making. He has the vision but decision making is noticeable.

-handle is really good ->elite. low and balanced. good reaction. Feel this is the most projectable elite trait.

-asthetically comparable to Westbrook. i.e. passing to guys who are already open because he draws defenders vs passing guys open (self gravity)

-three level finishing ability. hang in the air adjuster. finishes with both hands. loves going left. craft around the rim. finishes against contact going after nba level athletes (specifically Isaac and patton who both project as good nba defenders). 37% of his shots came at the rim but only 22% were assisted so he's getting to the rim by himself. shot 65%.

-Weakness: Decision making at all levels. passing, tunnel vision, bad shots. doesn't see guys sometimes. turnovers are a little high. not kris dunn high but concerning.

Would he be a PG or SG for us?

I want him simply for His ftr. I can't remember the last guy we had who could draw fouls after Dwight.

That and his ability to possibly draw so much attention from defenses. Surround him with shooters and that's where the Magic happens. Problem is, his iffy passing and decision making.

smith points:

-good frame and strong

-deceptive first step

Sounds like a Marbury/Francis like player to me.

That and his ability to possibly draw so much attention from defenses. Surround him with shooters and that's where the Magic happens. Problem is, his iffy passing and decision making.

The good thing is that those traits are fixable. He may never be good but he can become tolerable.

So Sacramento might trade picks 5 and 10 for Philly's 3.

Monk and grab a Ntilikina or Donovan Mitchell PG that can cover 2s that Monk cant

The good thing is that those traits are fixable. He may never be good but he can become tolerable.

Sometimes but some of that is just basketball instinct, IQ, or experience. Or all three. If it's IQ, might be a issue.

I'll say for now, he played on a ****ty team and just needs the right personnel. I gotta go back and watch.

"He had one of the best shooting performances we've seen from deep with a workout over the past few years." - Pat Connelly on Monk

Malik Monk on the limits of his range: "I don't have any. Soon as I step in the gym."

Malik Monk said after Phoenix, his next workout will be with the Orlando #Magic