Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

Good points. In a vacuum I'm taking Fox over Payton, so I'm not trying to insinuate Payton is better. Payton's inconsistency and tendency to drift is infuriating. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't see certain similarities. Who knows, maybe Fox's consistency and desire to take over in crunch time is all he'll need to be the far better prospect. Like I said, his shooting form is much better than Payton and yes, FT% is encouraging for someone with such poor outside shooting numbers.

Guess the next question would be: if Lloyd stays on, will he have the balls to pull the trigger on Fox when national media will just say "Look how dumb the Magic are! They just took another Elfrid!"

The thing fox has over Payton is athleticism and defense.

If Payton played above average defense we wouldn't be thinking about replacing him

If Payton played above average defense we wouldn't be thinking about replacing him

I personally like fox, I wouldn't be mad if we got him

IMO Fox has a terrific will to win that you don't see very often in Payton. I say we take him (unless we get #1 of course) and trade our #25 and EP for the earliest pick we can pry out of the Kings. (8 or 10)

During the draft one of Paytons big positives was his defense. He was college basketballs DPoTY.

During the draft one of Paytons big positives was his defense. He was college basketballs DPoTY.

That college award isn't really meticulously analysed.

That college award isn't really meticulously analysed.

That might not change the perception though. I'm sure having that award under his belt, regardless of its true merit, inflated Payton's perceived value/projection somewhat.

That might not change the perception though. I'm sure having that award under his belt, regardless of its true merit, inflated Payton's perceived value/projection somewhat.

Oh, yeah, sure.

He projected as a good defender. Tall. Long arms.

He's just not good. I think fox projects better via good games against other elite point guards.

Payton plays very good d when he squares up and defends one on one. It's when he tries to direct his guy one way or another is where he is bad. He takes too large of an angle and gives up straight line drives. Is this what is being taught? Seems likely.

Payton plays very good d when he squares up and defends one on one. It's when he tries to direct his guy one way or another is where he is bad. He takes too large of an angle and gives up straight line drives. Is this what is being taught? Seems likely.

This just isn't true. He has trouble with one on one defense. He has trouble navigating screens. He jumps passing lanes well.

This just isn't true. He has trouble with one on one defense. He has trouble navigating screens. He jumps passing lanes well.

Ehh, he is mediocre. Players aren't really lighting him up when he is on them, but he is not locking them down either.