Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

I hate FSU with the fire of a thousand suns. I like a 6'11" guy that can move and shoot like he does on a team that 1) Cant defend anyone outside of Gordon 2) Cant shoot

He doesn't really like contact/physicality on either end which I think will limit him to being more of a 1 dimensional spot up shooter rather than any sort of game changing play-maker. His defense is intriguing due to his size/length--but he can get pushed around rather easily inside.

If we fall to 8 than sure I'm fine with Issac. I don't not like him, I just don't see him as a top 5 pick in this draft. I think he's one of the safer picks in this draft to become a contributing role player but I would have Tatum, Monk, Smith Jr safely a head of him.

If we were in a situation where Gordon and Payton took a significant leap and we were in a position where we just needed someone to fit into the rotation I'd take isaac in a heartbeat. He's exactly what you want at 3 playing next to Gordon.

But being in the position we're in with a draft pick that's likely not going to be this high for a while we need more from that than a guy who fits in.

If we were in a situation where Gordon and Payton took a significant leap and we were in a position where we just needed someone to fit into the rotation I'd take isaac in a heartbeat. He's exactly what you want at 3 playing next to Gordon.

But being in the position we're in with a draft pick that's likely not going to be this high for a while we need more from that than a guy who fits in.

I agree with this. In a perfect world that would be the case too. But this is Orlando. I'd love to just throw Issac in with AG knowing EP is an all star PG but, again, not the case.

Eh.

Not saying well be great. But just a couple more wins is the 9th pick. And you're drafting different players there

All the teams around us are hoping to improve as well outside of Brooklyn and maybe Sacramento.

He doesn't really like contact/physicality on either end which I think will limit him to being more of a 1 dimensional spot up shooter rather than any sort of game changing play-maker. His defense is intriguing due to his size/length--but he can get pushed around rather easily inside.

If we fall to 8 than sure I'm fine with Issac. I don't not like him, I just don't see him as a top 5 pick in this draft. I think he's one of the safer picks in this draft to become a contributing role player but I would have Tatum, Monk, Smith Jr safely a head of him.

I kind of disagree with this. I think he would thrive in the post and midrange. He can do some work around that basket and has a good face up game. FSU's problem is that they tried to play him in a spot up/perimeter role. He would mostly swing the ball or take long jumpers. He couldn't effectively develop his skills because he wasn't put in a position to succeed.

I'm not a huge Isaac fan, but I'm a fan of FSU. He didn't develop because the coaches don't know how to utilize their talent. But I don't think physicality is his problem, it's that he's underdeveloped in his strengths and worked in a system that put him in a position where he doesn't fit.

Indispensable draft resource http://www.tankathon.com/ gives the Magic a 29.1% chance at a top 3 pick and an 8.8% chance at the number 1 pick overall. A guy like Markelle Fultz or Lonzo Ball obviously fits the bill of what the Magic desperately crave (as well as being almost surefire superstars), but if they land outside the top 3 there are still a lot of potential franchise changing players. Guys like Jayson Tatum and Jonathan Isaac would provide the type of floor-spacing the Magic desperately need, but the guy I’d really be looking at would be NC State’s Dennis Smith.

A talent evaluator I really respect recently told me that Smith has Westbrookian-type athleticism and “Iverson-type scoring potential.” While he might not be the type of shooter the Magic need, he probably has the highest superstar ceiling of anyone outside the top 3. He’d give the Magic the type of dynamic/physical guard they haven’t had since Tracy McGrady was shopped.

More succinctly, this draft gives the Magic a chance to change things around in a hurry. A core of Payton-Fournier-Isaac-Gordon may not light the world on fire, but it’s a fine core and probably the lowest outcome they should expect. If they luck out and land Ball (assuming his Dad lets him play of course) or Fultz? If this comes to fruition a rapid change in production could be on the horizon in Orlando.[/color]

https://16winsaring....on-f81787a83d1d

I kind of disagree with this. I think he would thrive in the post and midrange. He can do some work around that basket and has a good face up game. FSU's problem is that they tried to play him in a spot up/perimeter role. He would mostly swing the ball or take long jumpers. He couldn't effectively develop his skills because he wasn't put in a position to succeed.

I'm not a huge Isaac fan, but I'm a fan of FSU. He didn't develop because the coaches don't know how to utilize their talent. But I don't think physicality is his problem, it's that he's underdeveloped in his strengths and worked in a system that put him in a position where he doesn't fit.

The vast majority of scouting reports I've read on Issac would disagree with your first paragraph. Not saying you're wrong, if your're an FSU fan you watched FAR more FSU basketball than me--but most scouts seem to sum him up as more of a spot up shooter rather than a guy who is going to drive a ton and create a lot of offense.

Again, that's just what I've read your scouting take could be money for all I know.

If we take Issac at 5 or 6 I'll try to get on board I just think it's a mistake over those 3 guards. If they're off the board and we pick 8th than I'm fine with Issac. With his shot, size and length--he seems pretty safe to me.

Only reason I picked Monk is because of his shooting. If Philly gets 4th and we get 5th, and if they pick Monk, Smith would be my next guy.

I really think Philly is going Monk if they stay at 4 or even 5. Unless they are just crazy about another player Monk makes to much sense. This is why I hope we don't fall past 5 cause I think Tatum will be there.