Sign in to follow this  
masazasm2

Skiles resigns

I don't have a problem with Skiles making a power play, if he honestly felt Hennigan was holding the team back. Glad it didn't work, but I can't blame him for sticking to his guns. The guys an a**hole, but he's a solid basketball mind who's been burned too many times by bad GM's before to fool around if he thinks he's in a similar situation. I'm just hoping he wasn't right.

You have no problem with a guy trying to go over his boss's head and screw him over?

You have no problem with a guy trying to go over his boss's head and screw him over?

He had two bosses, really. If he thought one of them was screwing up, and he couldn't get the guy to come to his way of thinking (there are plenty of reports of disagreements vocalized between Skiles and Hennigan), I don't have a problem with him going to his other boss and asking for backup, no. Clearly Skiles and Hennigan had discussions. Knowing what we do of Skiles, does anyone think he played nice with Hennigan only to go behind his back? I doubt that, myself. It seems much more likely that Skiles tried to get Martins to back him up over certain basketball and personnel related issues that Hennigan wouldn't budge on, and Martins told him that that wasn't the way they were going to do things. I have no problem with Skiles or Hennigan sticking to their respective opinions, nor do I have a problem with the way Orlando separates the GM and coach responsibilities. I worry that it will scare off other coaches, but I still think it's generally the right way to go. But do I have a problem with Skiles making a power play, if he felt it was necessary? No.

He had two bosses, really. If he thought one of them was screwing up, and he couldn't get the guy to come to his way of thinking (there are plenty of reports of disagreements vocalized between Skiles and Hennigan), I don't have a problem with him going to his other boss and asking for backup, no. Clearly Skiles and Hennigan had discussions. Knowing what we do of Skiles, does anyone think he played nice with Hennigan only to go behind his back? I doubt that, myself. It seems much more likely that Skiles tried to get Martins to back him up over certain basketball and personnel related issues that Hennigan wouldn't budge on, and Martins told him that that wasn't the way they were going to do things. I have no problem with Skiles or Hennigan sticking to their respective opinions, nor do I have a problem with the way Orlando separates the GM and coach responsibilities. I worry that it will scare off other coaches, but I still think it's generally the right way to go. But do I have a problem with Skiles making a power play, if he felt it was necessary? No.

Eh, I disagree

This isn't ALL Skiles' fault, but he sure didn't help himself, the players, or the organization with how he handled this whole situation between January, the end of the season, and waiting until NOW to resign instead of the very end of the season.

In January in particular he should of kept his damn mouth SHUT and done his job. It's not like we didn't have a winning record in December.

However. All that said:

#FireAlexMartins

Haven't been on here all week, thought I'd let the dust settle some but here are my thoughts on Skiles:

First, we really don't know why he left. It's all speculation. Skiles is a loner, that is a fact. He does things his way. He is a high principal/character guy. That's the way he is. It could be as simple as he just didn't feel like he was committed to the team anymore. It could be him and Rob didn't see eye to eye. It could be he was sick of dealing with today's NBA players. It could be a mixture of things. It could be something were not even considering. We can speculate forever why he left, but we'll never really know. Skiles has always gone to the beat of his own drum, for good and bad.

If it was indeed because of disagreements with the roster, I'll go on record saying I agree with Skiles. Just because we have young talent, does not mean we have young talent that fits. Payton is an issue. Vuch is an issue. A pointguard that can't shoot and a center that can't defend makes it tough to win in today's NBA. I'm not going to turn this into a rip Rob post because I do think he's done an average to slightly above average job to this point, but I have some serious concerns about the makeup of this roster. I will wait to full bash this team until after free agency, but if we start next year with the same starting 5 I will not be stepping inside of Amway next season (not like anyone cares).

The most promising players on this team in terms of ceiling (Mario/Gordon) are still a couple years at best from really putting it together on a nightly basis. The combo of Payton/Dipo is a train-wreck in my opinion. I like Dipo and think he made good strides the second half of this year, but pairing him with the incumbent Payton is not a good fit and I am comfortable saying it will never be a backcourt that brings us to our ultimate goal. Having Gordon/Payton/Dipo in the same starting 5 limits outside shooting to much as well. No consistency there whatsoever. I think you can make it work with an upgrade at PG, but if Rob is really that committed to Payton then IMO that would mean you have to upgrade one of those other positions which I don't think is the way to go.

Skiles was never winning a title with the Magic anyways. He was a transitional coach that would get us close to the top but never over the hump, which has been the story of his coaching career. If were able to snag a coach like Vogel, then this worked out for everyone. But I would have serious doubts that were able to obtain a coach like that right now. A head coach stepping down like this is a really bad reflection on the state of the organization--whether you want to admit that or not, it is.

People that think this roster as it stands now can develop and win a title in 5 years--that's great. But I see major issues with the fit. Rob has shown he has a solid eye for prospect evaluation, but can he now make the moves to fit the pieces together via free agency? We will see. If we strikeout this summer and have another sub 40 win season, he will be gone next summer too.

I wouldn't oppose Skiles pulling a power move in a few years but to attempt it after only year one? That's insane to me. You text, call, religiously to upper mananegement, NOT Henny mind you, but Martins specifically asking about the coaching job. You get it despite not getting an thorough interview with the GM which is the correct way to get it. You brag in the media how excited you are to coach Payton/Dipo. Half way through your first season after no one else calling you for a job, and you wanna quit?! And you do so not right after the season but weeks after?

You missed the playoffs. Your traded away an asset for your boys. You threw your assistants under the bus with your timing and you have nothing really to show that you deserve to take Henny's job. Hell, you haven't shown to capable to lead this group to the playoffs. But you think you should be the GM?

That's not integrity. That's downright unethical.

• Upvote 1

People that think this roster as it stands now can develop and win a title in 5 years--that's great. But I see major issues with the fit. Rob has shown he has a solid eye for prospect evaluation, but can he now make the moves to fit the pieces together via free agency? We will see. If we strikeout this summer and have another sub 40 win season, he will be gone next summer too.

I agree with you. I am a big Henny supporter but if we don't address our PG and Center issue this summer and it leads us to not making the playoffs again, I will be in support of firing him.

Haven't been on here all week, thought I'd let the dust settle some but here are my thoughts on Skiles:

First, we really don't know why he left. It's all speculation. Skiles is a loner, that is a fact. He does things his way. He is a high principal/character guy. That's the way he is. It could be as simple as he just didn't feel like he was committed to the team anymore. It could be him and Rob didn't see eye to eye. It could be he was sick of dealing with today's NBA players. It could be a mixture of things. It could be something were not even considering. We can speculate forever why he left, but we'll never really know. Skiles has always gone to the beat of his own drum, for good and bad.

If it was indeed because of disagreements with the roster, I'll go on record saying I agree with Skiles. Just because we have young talent, does not mean we have young talent that fits. Payton is an issue. Vuch is an issue. A pointguard that can't shoot and a center that can't defend makes it tough to win in today's NBA. I'm not going to turn this into a rip Rob post because I do think he's done an average to slightly above average job to this point, but I have some serious concerns about the makeup of this roster. I will wait to full bash this team until after free agency, but if we start next year with the same starting 5 I will not be stepping inside of Amway next season (not like anyone cares).

The most promising players on this team in terms of ceiling (Mario/Gordon) are still a couple years at best from really putting it together on a nightly basis. The combo of Payton/Dipo is a train-wreck in my opinion. I like Dipo and think he made good strides the second half of this year, but pairing him with the incumbent Payton is not a good fit and I am comfortable saying it will never be a backcourt that brings us to our ultimate goal. Having Gordon/Payton/Dipo in the same starting 5 limits outside shooting to much as well. No consistency there whatsoever. I think you can make it work with an upgrade at PG, but if Rob is really that committed to Payton then IMO that would mean you have to upgrade one of those other positions which I don't think is the way to go.

Skiles was never winning a title with the Magic anyways. He was a transitional coach that would get us close to the top but never over the hump, which has been the story of his coaching career. If were able to snag a coach like Vogel, then this worked out for everyone. But I would have serious doubts that were able to obtain a coach like that right now. A head coach stepping down like this is a really bad reflection on the state of the organization--whether you want to admit that or not, it is.

You've been gone so maybe you missed this but Skiles wanted to quit in January. That might have killed our season.

I agree with the quote above. No one has to agree with me, but I am going with Blatt or Messina because they both have a system that involves every single players. The reason why it didn't work for the Cavs because Lebron wanted more touches and Blatt wanted more of their other players to get involved. Lebron didn't like it so he got other players to ignore the plays Blatt made and forced him out of the Cavs.

I was watching the Blatt system, it may work with this team because it gives plays to the shooters, like Fornier and Dipo. This is more of a guards play scheme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO3bJB9JcTo

Dipos a shooter?

You've been gone so maybe you missed this but Skiles wanted to quit in January. That might have killed our season.

Which also make me wonder why he didn't just resign at the end of the season? Additionally, where in the world is Martins while all of this is going on? Hiding? HHM makes a great point in that as our roster stands, we have a center that can't defend, a PG that (up to this point) can't score with any consistency and back ups at each position that are great people, but are stuck in the mudd of mediocrity!

I love our guys, but how in the world did we miss on so many outstanding prospects in the last draft and refuse to go after serious talent? As far as I am concerned, this is as much a Martins/Henny issue than a Skiles not wanting to coach this team issue!

Sadly, I am not excited at all about the next coach, (which should be Vogel) but if either Henny or Martins makes the selection........smile_panicworker.gif

All I can say is.... it appears they don't want to win, and I say that because they still appear to have their heads in the ground when there should be standing room only in the RDV lobby waiting to be interviewed!

By the way.....it is also time to look at Monty Williams...he has proven to be more than a slug!!

Which also make me wonder why he didn't just resign at the end of the season? Additionally, where in the world is Martins while all of this is going on? Hiding? HHM makes a great point in that as our roster stands, we have a center that can't defend, a PG that (up to this point) can't score with any consistency and back ups at each position that are great people, but are stuck in the mudd of mediocrity!

I love our guys, but how in the world did we miss on so many outstanding prospects in the last draft and refuse to go after serious talent? As far as I am concerned, this is as much a Martins/Henny issue than a Skiles not wanting to coach this team issue!

Sadly, I am not excited at all about the next coach, (which should be Vogel) but if either Henny or Martins makes the selection........smile_panicworker.gif

All I can say is.... it appears they don't want to win, and I say that because they still appear to have their heads in the ground when there should be standing room only in the RDV lobby waiting to be interviewed!

By the way.....it is also time to look at Monty Williams...he has proven to be more than a slug!!

Who in the last 3 drafts would you like Henny to grab instead? What other deal would of liked to see us get for Howard? Realistically. Last off season, we had Millsap thinking. Who else do you think would be a good fit WITH such a young team?

Timing is huge in the NBA. You can suck so bad, end up in the lottery in a weak draft. That's where rebuilding teams get their star player. We had a shot at Wiggins (is he even a star?) but the Cavs pulled one out of their arses and got ahead of us. We pulled one out of our arses twice to build a near dynasty.

Sh happens. Henny is doing the best he can with the cards he's dealt and one of those cards is nepotism from Martins. That can be a huge roadblock for GMs.

Give him complete faith and control, let him pick a coach he can communicate with confidence and trust and see what HE does. He's got cap room let's see what he does with that. Just hiring and firing GMs because timing wasn't on our side is stupid and unstable. We need some stability and consistency for once.

• Upvote 1