Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

They were good reads. I think we had a good off season. We just need to resign Serge.

That's the main criticism from most writers it seems. We ceded control of our future. Once we resign Ibaka the offseason will look much better in hindsight

Seriously, nobody interested in this?

Interesting reads. I don't know if he really gets Fournier, defensively, but I seem to live in a world where I feel like I get that Frenchman better than most (and I could certainly be wrong). I think Fournier's defensive troubles have more to do with him being a defensive 2 playing a great many minutes at the 3 than not having other good defenders on the court. If it were just that, Oladipo wouldn't have had such good defensive numbers, and the team would not have looked so much better defensively with Fournier either off the court or playing his natural 2G position. Don't get me wrong, he has a point. I do think Fournier is the type of guy who will be helped by a good rim protector. But there is a lot more to Fournier's defensive struggles than Orlando sucked at defense (which is an overstatement, as Orlando was basically the definition of average on defense last year).

Hopefully, the move to full-time 2G will improve Fournier's defensive impact without killing his offense. That's the big question with him, this year, in my opinion.

Maybe the signing of byombo was to get one of his buds here to help him to stay.

Nah, I think we made the biyombo move to get Vogel a roster he's accustomed to having.

Probably was #1 on Vogel's wishlist after he put up 16 and 25 against Indiana this year.

Interesting reads. I don't know if he really gets Fournier, defensively, but I seem to live in a world where I feel like I get that Frenchman better than most (and I could certainly be wrong). I think Fournier's defensive troubles have more to do with him being a defensive 2 playing a great many minutes at the 3 than not having other good defenders on the court. If it were just that, Oladipo wouldn't have had such good defensive numbers, and the team would not have looked so much better defensively with Fournier either off the court or playing his natural 2G position. Don't get me wrong, he has a point. I do think Fournier is the type of guy who will be helped by a good rim protector. But there is a lot more to Fournier's defensive struggles than Orlando sucked at defense (which is an overstatement, as Orlando was basically the definition of average on defense last year).

Hopefully, the move to full-time 2G will improve Fournier's defensive impact without killing his offense. That's the big question with him, this year, in my opinion.

I think he articulated Fournier's defense perfectly. Fournier isn't a great defender. he's not a bad defender. He can stay in front of most 2s and few 3s. He tries really hard and will benefit most from a good defense behind him. Stick him on the spurs at 2 and he'll play great fundamental defense and you'll never notice a weakness there. stick him on a poor defense and ask him to defend the other team's best wing and you're in trouble most nights.

I think he articulated Fournier's defense perfectly. Fournier isn't a great defender. he's not a bad defender. He can stay in front of most 2s and few 3s. He tries really hard and will benefit most from a good defense behind him. Stick him on the spurs at 2 and he'll play great fundamental defense and you'll never notice a weakness there. stick him on a poor defense and ask him to defend the other team's best wing and you're in trouble most nights.

I guess. I just think that's oversimplifying it a bit. It isn't untrue, it just doesn't deal with why Fournier struggles sometimes, or why his stats were so bad last year, defensively, when Oladipo's (who played the same position Fournier is now going to play) were good. Part of it is that Oladipo is a terrific defender, but I think also part is that Fournier is a bit of a tweener, positionally. My point is that if you stick him on the Spurs but make him play the 3 like he did last year, and he's going to struggle just like he did in Orlando.

In short, articulated is, in my opinion, the wrong word there. He summarized Fournier's defense perfectly. Semantics :pulpfiction:

it's weird that we only have 13 players. I wonder if we're just going to poach boston's leftovers

*crosses fingers for RJ Hunter*... although that would mean he probably couldn't beat out guys without guaranteed contracts... but still...