Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Dude I literally laughed when you said Evan can guard SGs.... that has not happened.

opposing sg's had a 13.7 PER when Fournier defended them according to 82games.com

Utah, no oladipo, Fournier at SG, Burks shot 2/13 http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201511130ORL.html

Atlanta, no oladipo, Fournier at SG, Bazemore 1/5 http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201601180ATL.html

Phoenix, no oladipo, Fournier at SG, Booker 4/11 http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201603040ORL.html

Miami, no oladipo, Fournier at SG, Wade 2/9 http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201603250MIA.html

Chicago, no oladipo, Fournier at SG, Butler 5/10 but only 12 points http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201603260ORL.html

if you're going to argue, at least bring something to the table, not this weak ****.

If we are talking about perimeter D, Gordon was actually better at defending small forwards than PFs. (Held opposing SFs to 13 PER, while opposing PFs put up 16 PER). He will be the guy getting the tough cover most nights for most of the minutes.

The problem was that, according to 82games, he put up his worst # at SF.

If we are talking about perimeter D, Gordon was actually better at defending small forwards than PFs. (Held opposing SFs to 13 PER, while opposing PFs put up 16 PER). He will be the guy getting the tough cover most nights for most of the minutes.

Probably why he's working on his handles and shooting this off season.

Those stats make sense. PFs abused him on the inside because he wasnt quite big/strong enough yet.

I assume his numbers at SF are due to his lack of jumper and overall offensive skill.

All of these things should improve. Gordon is absolutely the least of my worries.

the issue with the Gordon at SF numbers is 82 games considered Gordon to be the SF in Gordon-harris lineups when he was almost exclusively the PF.

If you break it down, Gordon-Nicholson-smith lineups were very good, Gordon-frye-dedmon lineups were good but rarely played, Gordon Nicholson dedmon lineups were bad, Gordon Nicholson vucevic lineups were bad.

so Gordon-ibaka-vucevic lineups might be good but Gordon-ibaka-biyombo lineups might be bad but Gordon-green-ibaka lineups might be good. we gotta experiment before we figure out what works.

Dude I literally laughed when you said Evan can guard SGs.... that has not happened.

Evan is actually really solid guarding SGs. Now, he has not been very good scoring against shooting guards (not compared to how well he scores against SF), but that's a different conversation. The problem with Evan is that he's best as a SG on defense and a SF on offense, which is fine if you pair him with a guy like Jimmy Butler and you can force other teams to switch off, but bad with a guy like Gordon who isn't going to ever draw opposing SGs' attention. Hopefully, Evan gets better at scoring against quicker guys. He's young, and crafty as *****, so it's in the realm of possibility.

Those stats make sense. PFs abused him on the inside because he wasnt quite big/strong enough yet.

I assume his numbers at SF are due to his lack of jumper and overall offensive skill.

All of these things should improve. Gordon is absolutely the least of my worries.

Agreed completely. Just making that statement because some posters seemed to be concerned about our perimeter D- seeming to forget that we have Gordon. Fournier just needs to be adequate (and I think his size advantage over almost all other SGs will help him), and Payton needs to be more consistent and work on his P&R D and we should be fine.

payton-fournier-hezonja-gordon-dedmon was bad

payton-oladipo-hezonja-gordon-smith was good

I wonder if payton-fournier-hezonja-gordon-ibaka will be bad or good?

signing these 3 might have started a riot on this board

eh, depends on money.

I really wanted Hill because I thought we could get him for like 2/10. still cant believe a team spent 4/48 on him when you can get a guy who can defend multiple positions, not provide anything above average, and average 8 ppg almost anywhere.