Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Whoever it was that told me Biyombo wasn't a max deal, I stand corrected on that statement. However, the point remains he was well overpaid for.

How this fanbase complains about Otis over spending on Rashard Lewis, a vital piece to our NBA Finals team, but then thinks the money we spent on a 5 / 8 guy is warranted is beyond me.

We didn't pay for a 5/8 guy. We paid for the hope of A 9/12/3 guy like he was for a big stretch of the playoffs

Whoever it was that told me Biyombo wasn't a max deal, I stand corrected on that statement. However, the point remains he was well overpaid for.

How this fanbase complains about Otis over spending on Rashard Lewis, a vital piece to our NBA Finals team, but then thinks the money we spent on a 5 / 8 guy is warranted is beyond me.

Do people still not understand simple mathematics and percentages after this cap raise?

Jesus people. Stop pouting this nonsense over and over again.

When I first saw the numbers I too thought we may have overpaid but that's because I wasn't use to the new cap numbers and percentages. Someone worked it out that we basically paid Biyombo 11-12m per year on the old system (ie; if the cap never went up that's the contract he would have been given). That in my opinion is what he was worth. We can't look at what Vucevic was on, his contract was a steal. If you then look at what other big men got this off-season then I think we actually got him on a good deal. I think out of all the big men deals this off-season, Biyombo's was unders. Noah, Mozgov, Mahinmi, Jefferson, Plumlee.. Biyombo is on a better contract than all those guys.

Do people still not understand simple mathematics and percentages after this cap raise?

Jesus people. Stop pouting this nonsense over and over again.

Yep! You said it brother!!!!

Besides all of his offensive warts and his primary function of DEFENSIVE BEAST..... at 23 years of age, should he develop (and he will) an offensive game that is slightly respected....we have a perennial all star for years to come!!

He and Serge will own the paint in in this town for the next decade......!

smile_bigparty.gif

Learn basic math

I see him as a Ben Wallace or Dennis Rodman type, he doesn't need to score to dominate the game.

This guy is obviously not a fan of our offseason moves.

Then from an economical point of view, Biz and Vooch will earn nearly $30 million per season over the next three years. Plus, this offseason, they will probably have to give Ibaka the max, considering both the package they gave up for him and the free agency market of today. It is conceivable that by this time next season, they could be paying three big men, who they can't play at the same time, nearly $60 million per season, which is way over half their cap space, even with the expected jump in the cap accounted for.

I think it can be safely assumed at this point, that Rob Hennigan has completely diverted away from the original plan he and his franchise put in place at the start of this rebuild. He has sped up the rebuilding process to ten times the pace that it was before, traded away parts of his young core that he previously wanted to build around, so he could grab ageing pieces at the tail-end of their prime and filled their roster to the brim with gigantic contracts.

So now that the Magic have headed down a path that they were previously avoiding, where does this path lead them? Do they actually have any building blocks on this team now that Harris and Oladipo are gone? Aaron Gordon is being played out of position, Hezonja is unproven and Evan Fournier doesn't possess enough dazzling upside to be certain that you can build around him. You are left with a team that is neither here, nor there, but unlike the team they had before these moves, they don't have young talent and upside to count on for the future.

I used to love this Magic team. I loved the way they were rebuilding. But now, they have fallen into a win-now mentality trap that they may prove to be inescapable.

http://thecornerthre...fathomable.html

I think Biyombo was probably overpaid, considering his likely role, but that's where this team is. The good news is we're retaining guys on good contracts. And, honestly, if we didn't already have Vuc, he's probably not overpaid.

I see him as a Ben Wallace or Dennis Rodman type, he doesn't need to score to dominate the game.

This is how delusional we've become.

You're talking about Biyombo having a DPOY impact. Just no dude. We'll be lucky if Biyombo is half that.