Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

@KeithSmithNBA: The word from USA Basketball practices is that Aaron Gordon's jumper and handle look better than ever. Key as he'll play SF a lot this year.

So, Skiles hurt Payton by coaching him to a good stretch of games at the end of the season? Oh, we're blaming the first sixty games on Skiles, saying the last 20 was 'Payton overcoming Skiles' inept offense'. Hilarious. He had stretches during the entire season where he looked competent. But overall he looked terrible. That's why Skiles and he butted heads, from what I saw. Skiles always claimed he had talent, and that he could be good. Payton was one of the guys Skiles talked about early on being really excited about working with, because of his potential on D. But Skiles clearly resented Payton's lack of consistent effort, and Payton clearly resented Skiles asking for consist effort from him.

We can say that Skiles hurt Payton only in that he refused to allow Payton to put up empty stats by refusing to work within a system. You are right to say that Payton had trouble adapting to Skiles' system last season, but he also had trouble adapting to Vaughn's and Borrego's. I've said before that I honestly don't think Payton can play within a system, because the things he does well all require him to have the ball on offense and take chances on defense. The problem is that he's not really prolific with the ball on offense, and his "defense" often results in him being out of position and other players having to make up for his taking chances. He's not a legitimate scoring threat because his foul shooting is terrible and he's not even all that good a finisher (and he's awful at everything else as a scorer). Likewise, his defense is hampered by his lack of focus and his inability to get around screens. His passing is literally the only thing he does that is above average, and even that is far from elite.

poor reading comprehension skills...

@KeithSmithNBA: The word from USA Basketball practices is that Aaron Gordon's jumper and handle look better than ever. Key as he'll play SF a lot this year.

this is good news.

Interesting article...

According to numbers fromNBAWowy.com, the Magic had a 103.3 offensive rating with Payton and Fournier on the floor together, but a 107.1 defensive rating — a -3.8 net rating. This included overlap with Oladipo on the floor. With Oladipo and Payton on the floor together, the Magic posted a 106.2 offensive rating and 108.2 defensive rating — a -2.0 net rating. Again, that includes lineups where all three were on the floor.

It is clear the Magic were very good offensively with Oladipo and Payton on the floor, but the defense was terrible.The defense was bad regardless, according to NBAWowy’s numbers.

With Fournier and Payton on the floor together without Oladipo on the court, the Magic posted a 104.9 offensive rating and 104.9 defensive rating. That is not a positive, but it is not a negative. The defense is a bit more under control for sure, at the very least. A big improvement taking Oladipo off the floor, at least by this isolated metric.

With Payton and Oladipo on the floor together without Fournier, the Magic posted a 112.6 offensive rating and 106.5 defensive rating — a +6.1 net rating. The net rating alone, suggests the Magic were better with Payton and Oladipo than with Payton and Fournier without the other shooting guard option.

The statistics from last season would seem to suggest the Magic made a mistake picking Fournier over Oladipo in the long run. Perhaps the Magic saw these defensive numbers and valued the defensive consistency over any offense. There were certainly other factors involved in the decision than just Payton and the Oladipo’s fit withhim.

http://orlandomagicd...-evan-fournier/

Interesting article...

[/size]http://orlandomagicd...-evan-fournier/

I think it is a mistake to say the Magic picked Fournier over Oladipo, which seems to be propagating all over the place. If both needed to be signed this year, and the magic picked Fournier, then they picked Fournier over Oladipo. If OKC stated that they wanted one of either Fournier or Oladipo, then we picked Fournier over Oladipo. However, what they really did was pick Ibaka over Dipo.

Interesting article...

[/size]http://orlandomagicd...-evan-fournier/

here's the on/off numbers from post-all star last year.

http://stats.nba.com/team/#!/1610612753/onoffcourt/advanced/?Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&SeasonSegment=Post%20All-Star&sort=DEF_RATING&dir=1

Fournier was our biggest difference between on/off numbers for defense. because he couldn't defend small forwards well. In December when he was playing mostly SG he was one of our better defenders behind only oladipo

hard to figure out if that means anything with Vogel, ibaka, biyombo, and the payton-fournier-gordon-ibaka-biyombo lineup being available vs what we had last year.

Nyce!

• Upvote 1

here's the on/off numbers from post-all star last year.

http://stats.nba.com/team/#!/1610612753/onoffcourt/advanced/?Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&SeasonSegment=Post%20All-Star&sort=DEF_RATING&dir=1

Fournier was our biggest difference between on/off numbers for defense. because he couldn't defend small forwards well. In December when he was playing mostly SG he was one of our better defenders behind only oladipo

hard to figure out if that means anything with Vogel, ibaka, biyombo, and the payton-fournier-gordon-ibaka-biyombo lineup being available vs what we had last year.

It's also worth stating that the Magic are keeping Fournier around until Mario overtakes that starting sg spot. Fournier could become a 6th man or an asset at that point.

What's the rating for Payton/Hezonja?

this is good news.

I am really trying to keep myself from getting too excited about Gordon, and it is getting really really hard. Somebody talk me down from thinking he will be at least a multiple All-NBA type player in the future.

I am really trying to keep myself from getting too excited about Gordon, and it is getting really really hard. Somebody talk me down from thinking he will be at least a multiple All-NBA type player in the future.

It's really difficult to be an all nba type player even for good nba players

• Upvote 1

It's really difficult to be an all nba type player even for good nba players

I mean, if DeAndre Jordan is an All-NBA player....