Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Beyond seeing those he worked with in Indiana, Vogel, the Magic’s new coach, still thinks about his time with the Pacers because it's shaping how he prepares for the next chapter of his coaching career.

Vogel, 43, used what he learned from Bird to help build his staff in hiring assistants Chad Forcier, Corliss Williamson and David Adelman. He believes the Magic’s roster, full of young players such as Elfrid Payton, Aaron Gordon and Evan Fournier, resembles the talent he had when he became the Pacers’ coach in 2011. And, yes, Vogel plans to have the Magic play the small-ball style that Bird wanted him to be committed to last season.

“You have to play this way if you’re going to keep up with the other offenses in this league,” Vogel said. “It’s a more entertaining and fun style of play. We’re definitely going to spread the floor, shoot more 3s and use our athleticism to run.”

http://www.indystar....acers/86722942/

That doesn't really play to the strength of our current roster.

December 15th. Something like that

So if we want to make a big trade in the next 5 months, it'll be some combo of Watson, Hezonja, Gordon and Vooch. Hmmm...

If you have an elite offensive team you go after offensive rebounds because more offensive opportunities are bigger for your team than what you're giving up in fast break points.

If you have an elite defensive team you want to limit possessions because you can stop the other team more than they can stop you.

And this said, we will still be an improved offensive rebounding team.

Barkley sounds like a fool. He doesn't really have room to talk after going to a team that just won back to back championships.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16825851/charles-barkley-thinks-stars-kevin-durant-cheating-get-title

Didn't listen but imo, I dislike it myself. KD imo just devalued who he is as an player.

It's not because he left, it's who he joined.

It might've been an smart move as far as solely winning a ring, but as far as how he's perceived as an player/leader, he's demoted his self. That in itself devalues the ship if he wins it. It will be meaningless.

And this said, we will still be an improved offensive rebounding team.

Not necessarily. The spurs, hawks, heat, warriors etc all were worse offensive rebounding teams than we were last year. Indiana had 4 more than we did last year.

Bigger =/= more offensive rebounds

Spreading the floor and shooting threes doesn't remind me of Payton either.

He showed some improved shooting touch last season. I think EP's gonna have a great season under a coach that believes in him. Plus his assist should go up with all the new pieces we brought on board.

Didn't listen but imo, I dislike it myself. KD imo just devalued who he is as an player.

It's not because he left, it's who he joined.

It might've been an smart move as far as solely winning a ring, but as far as how he's perceived as an player/leader, he's demoted his self. That in itself devalues the ship if he wins it. It will be meaningless.

I'm not saying Barkley is wrong necessarily, just a bit of a hypocrite.