Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Are they specifically targeting Vuch or is that what the fans want?

Dave Deckard of Blazer’s Edge suggested that Portland could trade Mason Plumlee and Al-Farouq Aminu for Vucevic.

They could still offer Terry Rozier or Marcus Smart in a trade, if they want to trust Jaylen Brown with a significant bench role as a rookie. Boston could also offer Jordan Mickey, a young center who may continue to struggle to find minutes. To top it off, adding the lesser of their two first round picks in 2018 could make it a very enticing offer for the Magic.

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2016/07/05/celtics-should-look-into-trade-for-nikola-vucevic/

Dave Deckard of Blazer’s Edge suggested that Portland could trade Mason Plumlee and Al-Farouq Aminu for Vucevic.

That would be a crap ton of depth. Maybe too much.

What's funny, in the original article, Payton was quoted saying he loved the trade. After a few minutes, Robbins removed the quote.

I'm sure he is. Both needed the ball to be effective. He gets almost complete control now.

Would have made more sense before green

Well, we could always trade him. He's an expiring but I don't think we should trade Vuch unless coaching either feels we have someone or someway to make up for Vuch's 18-19 ppg or we're getting someone in return who can.

Last year we managed to average 102 points per game. This year we have upgraded the starting line up and the bench, so we should be able to match that if we go by a scoring by committee type approach unless one or two players become 20ppg players.

Payton / Fournier / Green / Ibaka / Vucevic

If we say the above is our starting line up. Then it is realistic for Payton, Green and Ibaka to average a dozen points per game. Though potentially we could see Ibaka given a greater role on offense because that was one of his complaints with OKC. If Fournier and Vucevic can average 18 a piece. That brings our starting line up to 72 points. Our bench last year averaged 36 points per game, which our existing bench should be able to match or better. That would be 108 points per game which would rank third in the NBA behind OKC and Golden State based on last year's numbers. Maybe a six point boost is a big ask, but even if Fournier doesn't boost his 15 points per game from last season, that's still 105 points per game which betters last year and would see us ranked in the top ten tied with Boston and Portland who scored 105 points per game.

That line up does offer us three point shooting from Fournier and Ibaka. Maybe Vucevic can develop a perimeter game like Horford has done, he's certainly got the shooting touch and range. Payton's shooting has improved, he may never be a major threat, but if his improvement continues he could be a steady outlet. I don't expect much from Green. But our bench has shooting as well, good athleticism and defense. So we've certainly got the players capable of doing the job on defense and putting together a very solid and well balanced offense. However, if Vucevic heads to the bench (or is traded) and we insert Biyombo, then we would need greater contributions from the other starters to make up for Biyombo's liability on the offensive end. Since bringing him into the starting line up would see us lose around a dozen points, which drops us to 60. Depending on whether Vucevic stays or goes (and in turn what we get back), if our bench produces 36 points, that's 96 points per game. That would rank near the bottom in the league and we would need to play lights out defense most nights to win games.

At the end of the day I think what we do with Vucevic is going to be key. If he starts, our offense should be fine. If he is benched, our offense could stutter at times. And if he is traded, we need to make sure we get an upgrade to our starting PG or SF position, because further bench depth and picks probably won't help us very much.

I agree. People who think we won't score do not realize how much more points we will have due to increased offensive rebounds. Plus I sense we will be a fast breaking team with all the freak athletes we have. The pace will be much faster to coincide with the new NBA. Vucevic will have to get into shape to play in this new system. Everyone else appears to be very athletic.

You can't just say last year we averaged this and then just add on to it. The team is completely different. If we run with a Biyombo/Ibaka/Gordon/Fournier/Payton starting five than that is no doubt an offensively challenged group. Vucevic, Green, Hezonja, Augustin, etc. might help add some offense but there is legitimate concern about how well this team will be on that side of the ball.

Well, we could always trade him. He's an expiring but I don't think we should trade Vuch unless coaching either feels we have someone or someway to make up for Vuch's 18-19 ppg or we're getting someone in return who can.

im still pretty confident that the roster itself can absorb that ppg threshold.

I don't know what we'd trade for though. we don't have any holes besides point guard and we're committed to payton.

I'm afraid we don't have minutes to go around and Payton, augustin, Fournier, meeks, hezonja, green, Gordon, ibaka, vucevic, and biyombo are all expecting minutes. someone is going to be pissed off.

im still pretty confident that the roster itself can absorb that ppg threshold.

I don't know what we'd trade for though. we don't have any holes besides point guard and we're committed to payton.

I'm afraid we don't have minutes to go around and Payton, augustin, Fournier, meeks, hezonja, green, Gordon, ibaka, vucevic, and biyombo are all expecting minutes. someone is going to be pissed off.

I'm not as confident as you.

Ball movement can help hide offensive limitations but that's if everyone is on target and the opposing team's defense isn't up to par.

When, and it will, becomes an issue, you gotta have that one guy who can score with versatility. One who can create offense for himself consistently and for others. Not a lot of teams make it real far without one of those players on the roster.