Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

:writing_thinking:/>Durant was tired of being :silver_cup:/> so the warriors :smilie_huhn1:/> now he will be ridiculed if they don't get the :gold_cup:/> ... Meanwhile in OKC Oladipo is wondering where his friend went :dustball:/>

It's a financial thing. An extension now starts at 19 million. Next years max contract is like 31 million

Exactly, he'd be a fool to extend now. The Thunder would also be fools to keep him around and lose him for nothing (I guess he could give his word that he'll re-sign in a year, but I doubt he'd give his word and I doubt they'd take it even if he did).

I don't think we'll be in the mix for any trades for Westbrook. We'd need to get absolute confirmation from him that he'd re-sign with us, which he couldn't give us, so I don't think we'll pursue him.

Can the team that Westbrook is traded to even offer him a contract with modern day money, or do they have to wait for the following summer? If that's the case, not many teams will be willing to risk trading for him. It's going to be a Dwight-like scenario for OKC, with a list of teams he's willing to get traded to. If Westbrook's mind isn't made up about where he wants to sign long term, OKC will get bent over so hard in terms of value coming back.

On the bright side, Vic will be getting a big pay day from OKC it seems.

Exactly, he'd be a fool to extend now. The Thunder would also be fools to keep him around and lose him for nothing (I guess he could give his word that he'll re-sign in a year, but I doubt he'd give his word and I doubt they'd take it even if he did).

That last part is kind of the point I'm making as well. If he can't re-sign on a modern day max the day he gets to his traded team, who is going to trade for him? Or more to the point, what is a team willing to give up to get him? Even if he gives his word he'll re-sign, do they take his word for it? I doubt it these days.

I don't think we'll be in the mix for any trades for Westbrook. We'd need to get absolute confirmation from him that he'd re-sign with us, which he couldn't give us, so I don't think we'll pursue him.

Can the team that Westbrook is traded to even offer him a contract with modern day money, or do they have to wait for the following summer? If that's the case, not many teams will be willing to risk trading for him. It's going to be a Dwight-like scenario for OKC, with a list of teams he's willing to get traded to. If Westbrook's mind isn't made up about where he wants to sign long term, OKC will get bent over so hard in terms of value coming back.

On the bright side, Vic will be getting a big pay day from OKC it seems.

I think he can be offered a 3 year extension, but the money wouldn't be good compared to what he can get next offseason like P4thewin said.

That last part is kind of the point I'm making as well. If he can't re-sign on a modern day max the day he gets to his traded team, who is going to trade for him? Or more to the point, what is a team willing to give up to get him? Even if he gives his word he'll re-sign, do they take his word for it? I doubt it these days.

I'm not sure of the exact rules, but I think the team trading for him either has to have faith that he'll re-sign (or take the risk that he won't). Or they can do a sign and trade next off-season, but I doubt a team will give up much for that next offseason.

Clearly the case. And just what the Warriors needed

Those guys are going to love Pachulia. He's a guy he can do a little bit of everything on the court. Kind of like a big Turkoglu actually

• Upvote 1

So how crazy am I for thinking this? When we traded Dipo, Presti told Rob, "look, I don't know if KD is staying. I know he likes Dipo. You want defensive help in the front court. Ibaka is probably out anyways and I rather not pay him. You know me Rob. It's why I traded Harden. Listen, give us Dipo. You take Ibaka. We know KD likes Dipo. If KD still dips, you'll get first dibs and the likely heads up on Westbrook if he doesn't agree to extension. We go in full rebuild mode and y'all kick GS's ass."