Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Who does he play for?

Sadly, the kid plays for the Kings, and I think he was waived to sign the leagues oldest head cases....Matt Barnes!!

I am now genuinely frightened for other teams. I am deeply, deeply concerned. If Vogel rolls out a Biyombo/Ibaka/Gordon front-court in crunch time, which he absolutely will, I think the other team should be allowed to throw in the towel right there and then. No-one is getting within 5 feet of the rim. I don't think there is a better, more diverse, rotation of bigs anywhere else in the league. I've seen people call it a logjam, but let's be real, there are more than enough minutes to go round and I think all four of Gordon, Ibaka, Vucevic and Biyombo will get at least 25 minutes per game, if not 30, as Gordon will spend time at small forward because, again, Jeff Green might be here giving us those precious 8 point 4 rebound performances some nights, maybe, if he feels like it.

At a glance, things don't look as good in the backcourt but I am confident Vogel can make it work. The starting lineup will likely be Payton/Fournier/Gordon/Ibaka/Vucevic, with Hezonja as the 6th man. Mario will hopefully be given a healthy dose of minutes at both the 2 and the 3 spot, meaning Vogel won't have to rely too heavily on D.J. Augustin's playmaking for the second unit - Hezonja should be handed the reigns as much as possible whenever Fournier and Payton are both off the floor. Jodie Meeks will do what Jodie Meeks has always done: come off the bench and shoot threes, and that is exactly what the Magic need.

Due to these solid role-player signings, the trade for Ibaka and the resigning of Evan Fournier to arguably the best contract under the new cap level ($85 million over 5 years) Hennigan must be praised for acting quickly and decisively in addressing the Magic's roster needs and giving Frank Vogel every chance of success moving forward. Questions were asked when Hennigan traded Tobias Harris last season for the ghost of Brandon Jennings and the one and only Ersan Ilyasova, he's now answered them with how intelligently he has used the cap space that deal created. Don't be surprised to see Orlando make the playoffs this season, they've finally jump-started their rebuild and it has happened without tying Chandler 'Literally Has No Knees' Parsons to an ungodly max contract. Things are finally looking up after four long years*.

http://www.hashtagba...ning-in-orlando

I hope he's right about Mario..we gotta give him some real time..might as well be sooner rather than later.

Our bench lineup

DJ

Meeks

Mario

Green/ag

Vuc/biz..

Lotta scoring potential..thrown in ibaka or Gordon at pf for defense when needed..

I've been thinking about rotations and minutes and realized that in order for Ibaka, Biyombo, and Vucevic to all get significant minutes we would have to be comfortable playing a 2 man permutation for each. While I don't have any doubt a Ibaka-Vucevic and Ibaka-Biyombo pairing can have varying degrees of success, I have the most questions about the Biyombo-Vucevic pairing.

I looked it up and BB-Valuncunas never happened once in the regular season this year. And it only happened for 2 minutes in the playoffs. What are people's thoughts? Can Vogel put together a regular lineup with BB-Vuc? If Biyombo has the lateral quickness to guard a mobile 4, it seems like it could work but I was surprised Toronto never really tried it and admittedly I haven't watched much of Toronto outside the playoffs so I don't know the reason. Was it because they needed more floor spacing and didn't have enough shooting 1-3? They did run some BB-Scola and BB-Patterson lineups but I'm not sure if BB was guarding the 4 or 5.

Why aren't we pursuing DWade again? Seems to me like the perfect vet to mold our young guards and will not play every game. Come playoff time he would be a monster.

We don't have the cap space. Would you want to do a sign and trade and send miami some of our young assets for a broken down, shell of his former self Wade? Miami would love that as they appear ready to move on.

Count me out.

I've been thinking about rotations and minutes and realized that in order for Ibaka, Biyombo, and Vucevic to all get significant minutes we would have to be comfortable playing a 2 man permutation for each. While I don't have any doubt a Ibaka-Vucevic and Ibaka-Biyombo pairing can have varying degrees of success, I have the most questions about the Biyombo-Vucevic pairing.

I looked it up and BB-Valuncunas never happened once in the regular season this year. And it only happened for 2 minutes in the playoffs. What are people's thoughts? Can Vogel put together a regular lineup with BB-Vuc? If Biyombo has the lateral quickness to guard a mobile 4, it seems like it could work but I was surprised Toronto never really tried it and admittedly I haven't watched much of Toronto outside the playoffs so I don't know the reason. Was it because they needed more floor spacing and didn't have enough shooting 1-3? They did run some BB-Scola and BB-Patterson lineups but I'm not sure if BB was guarding the 4 or 5.

I assume we always have at least one of Ibaka or Biyombo on the floor at all times to terrorize the 3/4/5 positions on defense. Just like Payton and Vic being unbearable to watch together on offense, you probably want to keep someone who can spread the floor next to Biyombo. Ibaka, Gordon, and Vuc all have a solid mid-range jumper, with Gordon and Ibaka being threats from the 3 point line.

I am starting to get really excited about the possibilities here. We've set ourselves up to dominate on defense, and succeed on offense. Vogel is the perfect guy to figure this all out.