Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

I wasn't in love with the Meeks trade but I'm starting to think it's great. If Meeks has a good first half of the year a 6.5 million expiring who can hit 40% from 3 might be pretty attractive to a contender.

Does anyone think our pick which was top five, this years pick at 11 and dipo would have moved us up one or two or even three spots? Comparably what we just paid for Ibaka could have and should have moved up into a position to better address our needs. I say you make your own luck...not complain about being one pick behind where you needed to be. For god sakes with porzingas right in front of you at a position of need you don't move up and instead draft a redundant player who you have to dump oladipo and Harris to get playing time for. Porzingas would have been on a cheap four year deal instead of a one year deal heading into free agency like Ibaka. Towns, Wiggins and the like we're in range for our gm if he ponied up what he just did for Ibaka. Instead he was left in a pickle going into free agency bidding against teams full of cash from the increased salary cap. Could he not see the salary cap would jump markedly and role players would be getting big bucks? It looks like poor planning and a wet behind the ears gm to me.

I'd rather have ibaka and Hezonja than porzingis.

Towns and Wiggins were not available. We tried. Boston tried. Nobody could move up.

Yes. We called the top free agents. But when every top free agent on our list signed a deal that was legally impossible for us to offer we had to go to plan b.

Plan b being "sign guys that compliment our core players without screwing with our long term flexibility". Hennigan did that. He also signed Fournier to likely the best contract given today.

You play the cards you're dealt. If I'm giving a grade for free agency right now it's A+

I agree with this 100% if you can't get in the room to even talk to the top free agents you have to make some trades and fill in the best you can according to your existing roster. This is what happened.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/orlando-magic-free-agency-offseason-trade-serge-ibaka-jeff-green-contract/45eql4g51wso1q0emev4zun6z

Feast your eyes on one of the worst things ever written.

I particularly like "half the league were intrigued by Harkless". LOL.

This guy decided to take a negative stance before he even analyzed the moves. What a pile of ****

Absolutely man, doesn't make sense to sign him without some kind of trade happening in the future

As in Vuc and Mario for Butler?

Mahinmi

Ibaka

Gordon

Butler

Payton

Great defensive team, but puts a lot of pressure on Gordon to become Butler's Robin.

As in Vuc and Mario for Butler?

Mahinmi

Ibaka

Gordon

Butler

Payton

Great defensive team, but puts a lot of pressure on Gordon to become Butler's Robin.

Nah, Mahinmi is a great C off the bench. Will be perfect for when Vucevic has his semi-annual ankle sprains and concussions

If we sign Ian Mahinmi, I bet there's a trade to follow.

If you move Vuc and don't replace him with a center who can space the floor with a midrange jumper you better be getting back a starting offensive Playmaker or you are committed to starting Ibaka at the 5. The only reason we can consider a Payton-Fournier-Gordon-Ibaka-Vucevic lineup is because both Vucevic and Ibaka are pick and pop threats who can bring their defenders out of the paint to open up our drives. If you replace Vuc with Mahinmi in the starting lineup I think you'd have a lot of trouble offensively. Even if you started Mario at the 3.

I wasn't in love with the Meeks trade but I'm starting to think it's great. If Meeks has a good first half of the year a 6.5 million expiring who can hit 40% from 3 might be pretty attractive to a contender.

I'd like to believe we'll be a playoff contender and can use him ourselves.