Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

What the hell are you guys talking about with these tiers?

it was revealed in a Magic-focused podcast that at some point last season, Rob held a meeting to evaluate the players on the team and had put Fournier into tier 1 of pieces to build around. Oladipo was on tier 2.

We were discussing here where we'd put Vuc & EP.

I think it expires once the new cap goes into affect. We'll be under the cap.

I think we have it for 1 year from the date of the trade. And we can use it if we are over the cap, which is a real possibility if we have success in free agency this summer and keep Fournier. So it may still be useful during the season if we need to make a move with salaries that don't match up.

I remember the great run we had at the start of the season, Fournier was ballin' at SG while Vic came off the bench. Both of their contributions were vital, but Vic was coming off the bench.

Memory is a funny thing. Look at the stats. The team played well during that time, but that was also Fournier's worst stretch of the season in terms of scoring.

Not being a liability shooting the ball. Seeing teams actually not sag 5ft off him because he's such an awful shooter, which in turn clogs up spacing in our half court sets. Also, drastic improvement to me would be staying engaged the entire time he's on the court. Payton is famous for these small stretches where he gets "into" the game and becomes a menace defensively. Unfortunately, we don't see that enough.

Overall, just not be a bottom 3 PG. Be better then MCW. Become top 15 at the position.

Gotcha. I already believe he's a better player than MCW but I see what you're saying. I think asking a 3rd year PG, with 2 yrs of inconsistent coaching, to become top 15 in his position is tough to do. However, according to this espn link, Elf ranks #27 on the list. I could easily see him in the 16-18 range; so, asking him to jump to into top 15 is a doable benchmark for next season.

Taj Gibson up in trades -- should we take? Who can we give up?

I love Taj! One of my favorite non-Magic guys in the NBA. We could probably get him by just being able to absorb his salary and give Chicago the cap relief, I believe he makes around 8 mill a year. He's definitely not a first option for us, but I'd welcome him as a backup 4/5

I hesitate to be too harsh on Elfrid Payton last year because sophomore slumps are a thing and he had a coach who didn't have his back and he didn't want to play for because said coach would throw him under the bus at every opportunity he got. I'd be really nervous about Elf's career arc going forward if Skiles was still our coach, but I'm much more optimistic now that he has a coach who will actually give him a chance to succeed.

I think we have it for 1 year from the date of the trade. And we can use it if we are over the cap, which is a real possibility if we have success in free agency this summer and keep Fournier. So it may still be useful during the season if we need to make a move with salaries that don't match up.

normally true, but we'll be under the cap (by a lot) come July 6th (when new cap goes into affect). So we'll lose the TPE. Several other teams will lose their TPE too. If we stay above the cap, we can keep it, but that'll be impossible with the spike.

Taj Gibson up in trades -- should we take? Who can we give up?

we don't have anyone to give up. And he makes too much to take on at this point. If we strike out signing 2 max FAs, i'd think about it as a bench player, but would've give up any valuable asset.

Memory is a funny thing. Look at the stats. The team played well during that time, but that was also Fournier's worst stretch of the season in terms of scoring.

you're right. I didn't look at the numbers but I remember us (message board posters) saying how we wished Fournier & Vic would play well at the same time. Vic was ballin' off the bench and Fournier had started to stink it up. He was playing very well to start the year, and that prompted the motion to bring Vic off the bench.

I'm fine giving Payton another year. But if there isn't improvement across the board, I hope we can all stop making excuses for him and admit we need an upgrade.

There aren't many PG's in free agency anyways this year outside of Conley and Lin. Only way we could realistically obtain one would be with trading Vuch.

I'm fine giving Payton another year. But if there isn't improvement across the board, I hope we can all stop making excuses for him and admit we need an upgrade.

There aren't many PG's in free agency anyways this year outside of Conley and Lin. Only way we could realistically obtain one would be with trading Vuch.

That's the beauty of Batum. He's such a gifted passer that we could play two other wings with him.