Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

ESPN summer forecast has ranked us as 13th in the East!!

Cavs

Celtics

Raptors

Pistons

Pacers

Hawks

Hornets

Wizards

Knicks

Bulls

Bucks

Heat

Magic

76ers

Nets

Opinions please..

I think it's entirely possible were better than the Heat, Bucks, Bulls and Knicks.

The fact that we actually have an identity now as a big team wholl block shots and play tough defense probably puts us over the Bucks. The Heat lost DWade and Deng, we don't know if Bosh will return and they added nobody else and the Knicks added one of the least efficient point guards in the league and an over the hill Noah who could barely make a layup last year but people think they got better.

The Bulls are just weirdly built with no shooting and 3 guards who need the ball to be effective, I can't see that working.

I also don't think Washington improved much. Although Beal being healthy will help them and Mahinmi is a good pick up.

No, we just traded for him, and then traded him again for even less.

That wasn't what was said in original post. It was an tangent about how we traded young DRAFTED talent.

I wasn't a big fan of that trade myself but Tobias is showing to be a very mediocre player. He really isn't an well rounded player.

Edit: You gotta also understand Rob's position. If Skiles wasn't the coach, I would argue that trade doesn't happen. Rob was stuck in the middle between an organization that doesn't let go of the past very well and an coach who has a temperament of an teenager. An coach who went above Rob to get hired. I figure Rob was like "alright bud. Here's your boys. Sink or swim with that." Rob probably played the high road and was eventually proven right. Just an theory of course.

That wasn't what was said in original post. It was an tangent about how we traded young DRAFTED talent.

I wasn't a big fan of that trade myself but Tobias is showing to be a very mediocre player. He really isn't an well rounded player.

Edit: You gotta also understand Rob's position. If Skiles wasn't the coach, I would argue that trade doesn't happen. Rob was stuck in the middle between an organization that doesn't let go of the past very well and an coach who has a temperament of an teenager. An coach who went above Rob to get hired. I figure Rob was like "alright bud. Here's your boys. Sink or swim with that." Rob probably played the high road and was eventually proven right. Just an theory of course.

I believe my post said young talent, didnt say anything about drafted versus traded for, and even specified a section for players we traded for. I wasnt married to Harris, but we still did trade him for less. We basically traded him for cap space which we blew on more role players.

Harris was considered a member of our core, and like Oladipo, we traded him away for more spare parts. We have no main cog that makes the machine go, just a bunch of role players that we're hoping someone take the next step.

Rob has run this franchise into utter irrelevance.

I believe my post said young talent, didnt say anything about drafted versus traded for, and even specified a section for players we traded for. I wasnt married to Harris, but we still did trade him for less. We basically traded him for cap space which we blew on more role players.

Harris was considered a member of our core, and like Oladipo, we traded him away for more spare parts. We have no main cog that makes the machine go, just a bunch of role players that we're hoping someone take the next step.

Yeah the last four years should have been the best and most exciting years in franchise history. Fire Henny

You mentioned trading away drafted talent. I took it as an plural statement. You did say afterwards trading for young talent and then trading it for cap space so my bad.

Like I said, put yourself in Rob's shoes. Your young and new coming into a very Jerry Springer like situation where the star refuses to stay and there's drama from all sides. Your also working for an organization that without a doubt prefers to hire familiar faces. You get your first chance to hire a guy who fits your plan.

Instead of hiring your guy, you hire higher ups guy. Skiles contacted Devos/Martin's. Henny never contacted him until after the fact. Skiles throws his hissy fit mid season, wants vets and of course like the higher ups, wants guys he's familiar with. Rob figures "This isn't going like I want but I'm stuck in an tough spot. I work with good people but they're too stuck in their ways and they have control. I'll do this move knowing it isn't what I prefer but we need cap space. AG potentially will be a better player and I believe Mario will be too. It'll open more time for them and gives us cap space and Skiles will likely quit anyways. He almost did even when we were playing good basketball." In the end, Rob was right. This off season, he got his coach, they're working together to build a team to move upwards and keep their options for the future.

I truly believe AG to be that guy is the vision. Vogel has given him the keys. He is in fact that drafted young talent that you speak of. Time to see what he can do this season and next as our main piece. Personally, I believe he's going to be miles better than Tobias and BB will much more important to us than Tobias ever has or will be. Same goes for Ibaka. I was a big fan of Dipo but we weren't really that good with Dipo. Ibaka's presence I believe will have much more of an impact than Dipo's.

Like I said, put yourself in Rob's shoes. Your young and new coming into a very Jerry Springer like situation where the star refuses to stay and there's drama from all sides. Your also working for an organization that without a doubt prefers to hire familiar faces. You get your first chance to hire a guy who fits your plan.

Instead of hiring your guy, you hire higher ups guy. Skiles contacted Devos/Martin's. Henny never contacted him until after the fact. Skiles throws his hissy fit mid season, wants vets and of course like the higher ups, wants guys he's familiar with. Rob figures "This isn't going like I want but I'm stuck in an tough spot. I work with good people but they're too stuck in their ways and they have control. I'll do this move knowing it isn't what I prefer but we need cap space. AG potentially will be a better player and I believe Mario will be too. It'll open more time for them and gives us cap space and Skiles will likely quit anyways. He almost did even when we were playing good basketball." In the end, Rob was right. This off season, he got his coach, they're working together to build a team to move upwards and keep their options for the future.

This is perhaps the best description of the situation yet. It takes all of what we know has happened, all of what we suspect has happened, and tweaks the facts and rumors just enough to be incomprehensible, yet reminds us all that Hennigan is a genius and everything that has been bad so far is everyone else's fault. Awesome.

This is perhaps the best description of the situation yet. It takes all of what we know has happened, all of what we suspect has happened, and tweaks the facts and rumors just enough to be incomprehensible, yet reminds us all that Hennigan is a genius and everything that has been bad so far is everyone else's fault. Awesome.

Never played connect the dots as an kid? Should try it. You might be able to comprehend things better.

What facts did I tweak? The part where Skiles contacted Martin's for the job before Henny contacted him? Fact. The part we traded Harris for Skiles boys? Fact. Didn't Skiles quit anyway because of an conflict of interests with the roster? Fact. Tell me, what facts did I "tweak"? Did I just take the facts and connected the dots? Yup and most in the media who are credible and in the know echo this as the likliehood of what went down. Skiles wanted control. He wanted to trade all of our youth for vets. Harris was the first. Henny tried to appease without totally derailing the vision all in one season.

Devos is an good owner. Better than most but you've been living under an rock if you don't know nepotism has caused some of the setbacks for this franchise for some time.

Why do I think Charlotte will fall out??? "They still have Cody and Frank"

Seriously... that's the answer. You do realize that Charlotte dropped Bis and drafted his replacements... I mean Bis had no offensive game period and your throwing shade on Cody and Frank.... that doesn't bold well.

I mean look at us, where in the world are we going to points from... our 15mil bench player Green or will it be Elfman, or AG... I mean someone is going to have consistently score 25+ to be in any game winning situation. Interior defense is great, but it won't mean jack if teams go on a 3pt shooting spree, after all its our perimeter defense that really blows. And we traded away one of best perimeter defenders... Evan is not a good defender, neither is green, elf is still coming along.

Seriously... that's the answer. You do realize that Charlotte dropped Bis and drafted his replacements... I mean Bis had no offensive game period and your throwing shade on Cody and Frank.... that doesn't bold well.

I mean look at us, where in the world are we going to points from... our 15mil bench player Green or will it be Elfman, or AG... I mean someone is going to have consistently score 25+ to be in any game winning situation. Interior defense is great, but it won't mean jack if teams go on a 3pt shooting spree, after all its our perimeter defense that really blows. And we traded away one of best perimeter defenders... Evan is not a good defender, neither is green, elf is still coming along.

An 25+ ppg scorer? Would be nice and maybe one of AG, Mario, Evan, or Vuch becomes that but defense is probably more important to a winning club than one guy who can drop 25 a game. 25ppg players don't grow on trees.