Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Small market teams cannot mess around thinking they somehow have the upper hand at re-signing superstars, especially to their third contracts. I completely understand why Denver traded Mello in his prime.

Honestly, if Presti had a do over, I'm not sure he doesn't trade Durant last summer. He's done it with Harden, Jackson and Ibaka. Was it worth the gamble to him? I have no idea but the cost is going to be devastating to that franchise. There is no way I see Presti taking that same risk with Westbrook, which is what Windhorst was saying on ESPN.

Yeah he never expected Durant would leave. Westbrook either extends or he's getting traded before the deadline even if he doesn't get a great package for him (which he probably won't considering Westbrook would just be a rental to a lot of teams).

My prediction: Westbrook is traded to the Lakers for Russell, Ingram and picks. I hope I'm wrong, because it'll stink to see another small market team take it in the gut.

Honestly, if Presti had a do over, I'm not sure he doesn't trade Durant last summer. He's done it with Harden, Jackson and Ibaka. Was it worth the gamble (or whatever you want to call it) to him? I have no idea but the cost is going to be devastating to that franchise. There is no way I see Presti taking that same risk with Westbrook, which is what Windhorst was saying on ESPN.

If they hadn't blown that 3-1 series lead over GSW this may not have happened. I feel bad for the OKC fan base.....until I remember they stole the team from Seattle. Now that they won't be any good (if they trade Westbrook) maybe they'll send the team back to Seatte until the next superstar is drafted.

My prediction: Westbrook is traded to the Lakers for Russell, Ingram and picks. I hope I'm wrong, because it'll stink to see another small market team take it in the gut.

If Westbrook wants to go to the Lakers why don't they just wait and sign him next summer? Will they have the cap space to do it?

Small market teams cannot mess around thinking they somehow have the upper hand at re-signing superstars, especially to their third contracts. I completely understand why Denver traded Mello in his prime.

It's not really about markets, Durant was expected to stay in OKC he only left for a rare opportunity with the Warriors. This idea of having to trade stars right before their contract season is silly, it will just allow players to have even more control with leaving and choosing teams.

This idea of having to trade stars right before their contract season is silly, it will just allow players to have even more control with leaving and choosing teams.

Silly? Perhaps. Necessary? Sometimes. See Dwight and Carmelo. The Westbrook situation is going to be interesting.

I'm not sure why everyone wants to trade for Westbrook. If everyone is so confident he's bolting from OKC, what makes you think he'll want to re-sign here? Unless he and Ibaka are secretly BFFs. I wouldn't deal for him unless we had an extension worked out before hand.

Silly? Perhaps. Necessary? Sometimes. See Dwight and Carmelo.

Dwight and Carmelo made it publicly known they wanted to leave. The Durant situation was totally different, everyone expected him to stay and left for a rare dynasty opportunity.

I guess Kevin Durant made a basketball decision by deciding to join the Warriors rather than stay loyal to OKC or sign for another team to become "the guy" on that roster. The problem is he is likely to receive more criticism and hate than LeBron James did when he joined Miami because at least LeBron James became "the guy" in Miami and took ownership of that team and made it his own. All Kevin Durant has done by joining Golden State is become a supporting cast member to Steph Curry's Golden State Warriors alongside Klay Thompson and Draymond Green. It surely is going to have an affect on his legacy in the league if he does win multiple rings because will it be down to Kevin Durant earning them, or will it be down to him having joined a team that has already proven it can win a championship, nearly win a second, and break the regular season win-loss record?

I suspect it will be the latter.

Anyway, if Westbrook isn't going to sign an extension with OKC. I hope we decide to throw an offer his way if he would agree to sign an extension with us. But I suspect if he doesn't stay in OKC, he might go to the Lakers; or perhaps look to another eastern team like the Miami Heat who have a track record of landing big name players. It's a tough decision for him long term. Out west he has to get past the Warriors. Out east he has to get past the Cavaliers.