Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

This off-season just keeps getting worst... why are we spending like this on players who don't net much.

Half the fans hate small PG, and now they have D.J.

Half the fans hate late signings, players who would of been a great sign a few years prior, and now we have Green and Meeks.

I honestly don't see how this improved us, not one bit.

Where are we going with this? And please don't say we are waiting for Paul G in 2017.... the Magic business can't handle playing for a road map of possibilities.

Timur Rustamov: Timofey Mozgov on desicion to join Lakers: convo with Luke Walton was key, he loves the things I can do on the court and sees me as his primary center.

– via Twitter

I'm not a coach or a gm or even close to it, but what exactly does he do on the court that deserves 2/3 of a max? So confused!

Uh from last year? Well first off depth.

Second of all a max FA playing on our team in ibaka. We hadn't had that in a while.

Third off, coaching, for which we tailored this roster too.

This off-season just keeps getting worst... why are we spending like this on players who don't net much.

Half the fans hate late signings, players who would of been a great sign a few years prior, and now we have Green and Meeks.

Where are we going with this? And please don't say we are waiting for Paul G in 2017.... the Magic business can't handle playing for a road map of possibilities.

What move did you want? The one where Mike Conley became the richest basketball player of all time? Or the one where a guy with 2 bad knees got 90 million? How about the one where Evan Turner got 75 Million? You can't bring up Derozan or Batum, they both stay home. Did you want Mosgov for 60? Solomon Hill for 50? Jeremy Lin for 12 mil per? Maybe you wanted a reunion with Howard, one that made him the highest paid center in the NBA?

The reason why this off-season was so good was because we avoided all that crap. Those deals are the ones that handicap a franchise. The DJ deal is smart. We got him for 5 mil less then Lin. The Meeks deal is a cheap expiring for a guy who can be instant offense off the bench. Green is a temporary fix at SF. I'd much rather give a guy a 1 year deal for a short term fix then overpay some average player for 4 more years.

We got better. I really don't know how you don't think we got better. Trust me, I'd love to rip some of these moves but it's hard too. They're smart, well thought out signings.

We'll make the playoffs next year, know more about Payton/AG/Mario, and have 40 mil to work with in a much better free agent summer.

• Upvote 4

You're kidding right?

Maybe Jeff Green will finally realize his all-star potential when no one expects anything of him.

Don't fall for the trap. Every team that's gotten him have had the same thought and he's been average, at best. He may have 1 good/great game for every 10-15 subpar/average showings.

The media is so short sighted its laughable.

1/15 for green, whaaaattt????!!! Green isn't that good of a player.

3/30 for Jared Dudley. Great move by Phoenix. Good veteran presence.

Now I like Jared Dudley. Nothing wrong with that guy. Dude is a fan favorite everywhere he goes and a great interview too. But they're cool with spending 10 million on a glue guy who takes additional future money away but not cool with 15 on a guy we need to just plug a hole on the roster. At what point is a deal for Jeff green acceptable? 12 million? 8 million? 2 million?

Does it even matter because he's a one year deal? You know, the same philosophy taken with Derrick rose from last week.

At some point this afternoon I suggested we give Jeff green 1 year 26 million. Not because I thought he's worth 26 million but over one year we could pay him any sum of money and it not have any affect on the future of this team. For one year green could be making the league minimum or 36 million and it wouldn't affect roster lineups, future roster decisions, ticket prices or real estate.

E'tuan moore is making 4/32. Fine contract for him. Stupid contract for the magic. Because in 2017 you're going to have to explain to prize free agents why you can't afford to give them a maximum staying salary because you prioritized e'tuan *****ing moore instead of a cap friendly deal, dropping your cap room from 40 to 32 million.

Went to bed optimistic, woke up delighted!

Fournier for 5/85 is fantastic. Props to Henny but most of all to Evan for taking this deal because he wants to be here, he could have easily left for more or forced a lot more out of us. I like him so much more after this.

Green for 1 year is such a good move, I did say in an earlier post I didn't want to pay him big dollars but that was referring to multiple years, getting him for 1 year makes so much sense.

Already saw we had DJ before going to bed and that is a great move too.

I'm using words like fantastic and great because they are when you factor in what other players were going for on the same day. We got DJ for 7 per and guys were signing Lin for 12, Delly for 10, Conley for 64 billion per. We resigned Evan for 17 when guys like Turner got 18, Parsons the max, Mozgov and Noah crazy deals.

I'm delighted with our off-season, love the Ibaka deal so much more now (already liked it) after seeing our roster come together. I love how these moves have made us so much better for this season while leaving things wide open for next off-season and not handcuffing ourselves with any bad contracts. Even if Evan doesn't turn out how we hope, he's on a great deal (the caps only going up more so his contract gets better and better).

Good job Henny, I was confidant you'd make smart moves.

Don't fall for the trap. Every team that's gotten him have had the same thought and he's been average, at best. He may have 1 good/great game for every 10-15 subpar/average showings.

Hahaha, no worries, definitely not expecting it... but it would be such a Jeff Green thing to do to wait to come to Orlando of all places to actually break out.

I'm not a coach or a gm or even close to it, but what exactly does he do on the court that deserves 2/3 of a max? So confused!

Anytime you can sign a center over the age of 30 who put up 6 and 4 last year and was benched in the playoffs you gotta do it. Snatch that guy up!