Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

A crisis of faith (not worthy of its own thread, but: )

The older I get the less and less this stuff affects me. Am I outgrowing basketball? Am I turning into a fairweather fan?

My apathy for the Magic is at an all time high after this. I cared more for the era between post-Shaq and T-Mac/Hill even more than this.

I think after four years of patience, I need a serious shot in the fandom arm. Ibaka is not that for me unless he shoots a HELL of a lot less threes and gets his rear in the paint a helluva lot more than he did the last year or two.

It's getting to the point where my other 2nd/3rd favorite teams (Thunder, Warriors) are actually closing the gap. It's just getting harder to overlook the total ineptitude and nepotisim of our front office, from top down.

We just hired the best coach available( a defensive minded coach who has gotten his teams in the playoffs more than once) and just picked up one of the best front court defenders in the last few years at age 26 who's played a big role in OKC playoff runs.

You see things how you choose to see them.

Our fans kinda suck

Everybody on here has complained about our home crowds sitting on their butts and not making noise. When we go to games we are constantly told to sit down during a game. He was not referring to us. He was referring to the majority of the folks who attend our home games, and yes, they do suck. Also, the Magic have been a losing team ever since he got here and he is going to one of the best teams in the league. Before the trade Vegas odds had them at 10-1 to win the ship next year. After the trade it is now 6-1. The guy is living a dream.

Rumors have KD granting meetings with Miami and Boston along with Spurs Warriors and Clippers

A crisis of faith (not worthy of its own thread, but: )

The older I get the less and less this stuff affects me. Am I outgrowing basketball? Am I turning into a fairweather fan?

My apathy for the Magic is at an all time high after this. I cared more for the era between post-Shaq and T-Mac/Hill even more than this.

I think after four years of patience, I need a serious shot in the fandom arm. Ibaka is not that for me unless he shoots a HELL of a lot less threes and gets his rear in the paint a helluva lot more than he did the last year or two.

It's getting to the point where my other 2nd/3rd favorite teams (Thunder, Warriors) are actually closing the gap. It's just getting harder to overlook the total ineptitude and nepotisim of our front office, from top down.

It's just the time of the year. I feel the same way about football every year until August rolls around.

You'll feel the same way about the magic until something crazy happens or mid September. Then the fandom will creep back in.

Rumors have KD granting meetings with Miami and Boston along with Spurs Warriors and Clippers

Which may be partly why Oladipo was traded. One of the gripes on the trade was that he was the best shot at getting KD to Orlando. Durant probably already turned the Magic down to meet and this move was made to move forward without him, probably hoping to become a more attractive destination for next year.

I'm not sure Serge was the right piece for that, it depends on free agency (and the rumored contention between the two). It also depends on him getting either an extension or a reasonable deal next summer.

Oladipo was a great people's player. The kind of guy many die hard Magic fans will call their favorite a la Skiles in his playing days, even if he's not as big a name to the casual fan. What happens in free agency will define this trade, I think.

Random thoughts from Soul...

1. Aaron Gordon - I wonder what Vogel and Henny think of Gordon and his ceiling. Could the move of Dipo be about giving him those shots? Do they see a Leonard type or Marion type? Is he now our most valuable asset?

2. Evan Fournier - I also wonder how they view Fournier. Do they match a max offer? Is he now the go-to guy? It seems to me he became the leader of the team by mid-season last year.

3. Free Agency - Lastly, I wonder if the free agency target is now Nicolas Batum. His skillset and position, especially his playmaking, could make the Magic an extremely versatile and dangerous team.

I'm a bit hesitant about free agency. I want AG and Hezonja to get 48+ mins combined and I don't want to pay Chandler Parsons or Harrison Barnes or any of the guys in that tier the max. I'd really like to add some perimeter scoring off the bench and improve the PG spot but short of Mike Conley I don't think there's a guy out there who we'd want as a starting PG. Plus it really seems like Henny is behind Payton as our starting PG.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I'm a bit hesitant about free agency. I want AG and Hezonja to get 48+ mins combined and I don't want to pay Chandler Parsons or Harrison Barnes or any of the guys in that tier the max. I'd really like to add some perimeter scoring off the bench and improve the PG spot but short of Mike Conley I don't think there's a guy out there who we'd want as a starting PG. Plus it really seems like Henny is behind Payton as our starting PG.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I think the most personally annoying aspect of this whole trade is that it shows how much Hennigan likes Payton, and is willing to bet on him as the PG of the future.

I think the most personally annoying aspect of this whole trade is that it shows how much Hennigan likes Payton, and is willing to bet on him as the PG of the future.

I don't think the trade says anything about Payton.

It's not like Hennigan went into this offseason shopping Oladipo. Ibaka was being shopped and Oladipo is the only player that makes sense for him on our roster.

It's kind of worrying but at the same there were some analytics out there there that suggested he was on course to be an all star after his rookie year. Was it five thirty eight that said he projected as a multiple time all star and said he could be like Isiah Thomas? He clearly didn't mesh with Skiles and there were rumours that was part of the Hennigan/Skiles problems. Let's see what happens. I'd love to get Jeremy Lin to add scoring and backup PG play off the bench.

It's kind of worrying but at the same there were some analytics out there there that suggested he was on course to be an all star after his rookie year. Was it five thirty eight that said he projected as a multiple time all star and said he could be like Isiah Thomas? He clearly didn't mesh with Skiles and there were rumours that was part of the Hennigan/Skiles problems. Let's see what happens. I'd love to get Jeremy Lin to add scoring and backup PG play off the bench.

Dude. If Payton ever makes an All-Star game I will be more than shocked. His stats have never suggested anything more than a guy who if he works really hard and fixes a lot of his issues might become a decent starting PG.