Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Take this for what it's worth but a guy on REALGM posted a text from what he says is VP of Marketing of ORL that says were negotiating frank vogels contract now. Kind of what we already knew.

People on there are vouching for him. They're trying to delete the images off the forum.

i saw the posts and since then, I've been expecting Vogel confidently. nothing is done until pen hits paper, then wait 2 weeks, but this is almost a wrap.

Celebrate everyone.

Sources told ESPN.com on Wednesday night that the Magic believe they have emerged as Vogel's preferred destination and are positioned to quickly complete a deal with him if their coaching search continues to progress in its current direction.

Orlando officials, sources say, have spent the bulk of the week trying to decide between Vogel and highly rated ‎Magic assistant Adrian Griffin but know they have to move quickly if they want Vogel given the strong interest he's received from the Grizzlies.

Vogel, sources say, had already established himself as the Grizzlies' top choice by the time Orlando joined the bidding this week.

Sources say that the Grizzlies have made it clear to Vogel that the Memphis job is his if he chooses, with the promise of a three-year guaranteed deal at a much higher rate than the $2 million annual salary commanded by the recently fired Dave Joerger. ‎ But sources say that the Grizzlies are already bracing for the increasingly likely prospect of Vogel choosing to take the Orlando job instead in the wake of last week's unexpected resignation of Scott Skiles after just one season on the Magic's bench.

Sources say Magic management, fond as it of Griffin, is drawn to Vogel's impressive resume and enticed by the idea of moving from on from Skiles' abrupt exit with the opportunity to hire an established coach.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15601172/orlando-magic-upbeat-luring-frank-vogel-coach

• Upvote 1

I know I'm not the only one who has thought of this, but it is super obvious that the Hack-a-Shaq problem could be solved simply by allowing the team on the receiving end of an intentional off ball foul to choose who they want to shoot the free throws.

• Upvote 2

I know I'm not the only one who has thought of this, but it is super obvious that the Hack-a-Shaq problem could be solved simply by allowing the team on the receiving end of an intentional off ball foul to choose who they want to shoot the free throws.

Completely agreed, I personally feel the parallels between free kicks and penalty kicks in soccer/football are great there. It's just a deterrent to not make a poorly intentioned play off the ball. That should be discouraged under all circumstances. It's just not sport. And if not a reckless accident it's poor decision making and should be penalised in a fashon rather than rewarded for its ingenuity.

If after all this we end up with Griffin i'm done...no seriously. That would be pathetic.

Coach's like Vogel don't come around very often.

"Players coaches" like Griffin are a dime a dozen. Vaughn 2.0.

Vogel is so obviously the best choice that we have to be going for him -- if it doesnt work out he must not want to be here.

If hiring one of the most respected assistant coaches in the game makes you completely stop following the Magic then you're a bad fan

• Upvote 2

All indications are the Orlando Magic will have contract talks with Frank Vogel today.per Josh Robbins

Frank Vogel already met with the DeVos family this week. That's always a necessary precursor to putting a deal in place. Per Josh Robbins

• Upvote 1

Part of me is a little surprised that it's taken this long to start discussing the contract when Vogel has been in Orlando or interviewing with people since Saturday Morning (maybe we operate under normal business hours and he didn't start anything until Monday morning?). On the other hand, we were blindsided by a coach quitting last Thursday and we might have a new coach today. That's a crazy fast hiring timeframe.

• Upvote 1