Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

Mavs @ Magic - 7 pm tip off!

SKILES POST GAME:

* Said he brought in Jennings in OT because he wanted another shooter in there

* Said he thought AG and Ily did a really good job on Dirk, having 2 guys tag team him like that was huge

* AG was exceptional tonight on the defensive end

* Mentioned the pace Jennings plays with as a positive along with his shooting and vision.

* Said the defense got them back in the game

* Said Victor played 41 minutes because they trust him so much on the defensive end and his ability to make big plays

* Said having Jennings could help EP work on his game, but that EP always works on his game. He doesn't want 1 game or a couple of practices getting in EP's head.

* Said this was a very strange game. If you told me they hit 19 threes he would have said zero chance we won.

* Says they played hard and didn't quit. Mentioned it was the first time they played against a zone like that for an extended period of time. Said they struggled early but figured it out some later.

Chicago is beating Toronto thanks to a stellar performance from...

Doug McDermott???

Told you post all star games are weird

Pacers are about to win @ OKC

Much needed win. We have 4 winnable games in the next 5 and we need to go out and get them.

I was cautiously optimistic about this trade because I know these two can really play and it just doesn't feel like Skiles used Tobias correct. I just hope that they play like this often. Hopefully we don't toss them out just to try and get a free agent if they play like this.

Ilyasova really is a good fit for our PF spot and he showed us how capable he is. His numbers weren't amazing, but you could tell every basket he made impacted the game and he did all the little things and showed toughness and hustle that Harris didn't give consistently.

As far as Jennings goes, I was equally pleased. He is definitely the best backup PG we have, and we shouldn't see Napier ever, thankfully. If he returns to form and Payton struggles, he will quickly become the starter until Payton develops his shot. Payton will always play, but a vintage Jennings/Oladipo backcourt is far more explosive. It's one game, but we looked much harder to defend. When is the last time a team changed their defense because of our offense? With Jennings, maybe we can give Payton the time he needs to really learn the position. A guy like Brandon can help Victor learn some little tricks to become a better scorer. If he plays like tonight and wants to be here like it sounds like he does, we will have to keep him.

Fournier and Hezonja didn't even score the basketball well and we beat a 19 3-point shot barrage. This really tightened up the rotation and keeps Nicholson and Shabazz where they belong. We didn't need Dedmon. And, Watson wasn't even needed.

Yes, we can say it was one game over and over, but besides a lackluster early - mid 3rd quarter, there was a different feeling about this team. We are learning to fight and we're trusting the game plan. And , we are giving ourselves chances that we never have. Even the 3 games before the break show that maybe we're starting to get it.

Let's keep this going guys and make the playoffs!

An aside about Rob:

I feel like I might be one of very few who actually trust what Henny is doing and think he gets it. I think Frye stopped doing the things we expected to get from him and decided he only had to shoot. The season before he was signed he did everything better and it was reasonable to expect a similar contribution. Channing didn't perform and find it unfair to bash Henny for Frye getting lazy. He brought in Vucevic and Fournier which turned out great when everyone questioned the moves. All the alternatives would have been disaster in hindsight. He also drafted the best player available at our spot in each draft. All while fixing and keeping the books in good shape. Obviously the draft strategy didn't land an instant star, due to poor lottery results, and we have to do things the hard way. We have been spoiled as fans because we have never endured an extended rebuild and fail to realize that they are actually the norm. He has not made any unreasonable trades and we have always gotten the better end of the deal despite fans and media experts saying we lost big time when the trade goes down. We used our tanking years to evaluate a supposed up and coming guy, then upon seeing he was not ready, we replaced him with a hard worker with a respectable resume in Skiles. We all expected a 5 year rebuild and we are actually right on schedule. Anyone who expected us to be better sooner with the mess Otis left is a pure homer. Everyone says we won't get a good free agent, because we couldn't get players with an immature Dwight Howard on the team. But if you look, has Howard ever attracted other players? Nobody knows Henny's true plan. And if we make a playoff run, anything can happen. Don't doubt Rob because he is young like the media does.

• Upvote 1

I'm hoping Jennings can keep it up. We're gonna benefit this year if he plays hard for his next contract. Plus, he's gonna make Payton work for that starting spot.

But whether we decide to sign him or not, this game just shows we need a PG that can shoot. The spacing was beautiful.

I totally agree with this. I'd be okay with resigning him if he plays good then they'll have to see if they can find a trade partner for Watson. I think we could roll with Jennings, Payton, and Napier going forward.