CTMagicUK

2016 NBA Draft Thread

No thanks on Poeltl. After seeing him get killed by Sabonis in the biggest game of his career I don't think he's anything special. Go get one of these mid-tier FA centers available this offseason. I doubt Poeltl is ever more than that anyway. I'd rather see what Zimmerman can do if he's there in the second round or if we move back in the first. He's got more tools and upside than Poeltl does.

No he doesn't lol

No thanks on Poeltl. After seeing him get killed by Sabonis in the biggest game of his career I don't think he's anything special. Go get one of these mid-tier FA centers available this offseason. I doubt Poeltl is ever more than that anyway. I'd rather see what Zimmerman can do if he's there in the second round or if we move back in the first. He's got more tools and upside than Poeltl does.

The #11 pick in the draft stands to earn:

- 1st Year: $1,964,800

- 2nd Year: $2,053,200

- 3rd Year: $2,141,600

- 4th Year: 32.7% over 3rd year salary

- QO: 36.9% over 4th year salary

That would make Poeltl or Sabonis, my ideal draft selection at #11, a bargain over the course of their rookie contract based on the new NBA salary cap. The thing you need to bare in mind is that the top free agent centers (Drummond, Whiteside, Howard, Horford) are going to earn major dollars wherever they end up playing. Likewise, impact centers like Bismack Biyombo and perhaps even Festus Ezeli are going to stand to earn significant contracts under the new salary cap, despite being offensively limited. And mid range centers like Zaza Pachulia, Ian Mahinmi, Roy Hibbert, and Miles Plumlee are going to earn in excess of those amounts without too much trouble.

So while you may think that Poeltl will never be anything more than a mid-tier center, he would still be a valuable player for us because he gives us a back up center with a well rounded skill set at both ends of the court. His rookie pay scale would be a bargain under the new salary cap which will boost everyone's pay packets from free agency. Last season we brought in Jason Smith on a $4,500,000 deal, under the new salary cap he could earn more than that. So if we can get a well rounded center in the draft costing us around $2,000,000 for the course of their rookie contract, the money saved can be used on other players. Why spend big bucks on a back up mid-tier center when you can get one significantly cheaper in the draft?

I don't see the point. I guess an argument can be made to draft one of the raw stretch four prospects, but as a team wanting to make the play offs, those raw prospects are not going to help us. Skal would sit behind Gordon at PF, and to be honest, a play off contender would need someone more polished as the first PF off the bench because Gordon is nowhere the finished article. So for me, what we need to be getting from this draft is a polished player who can step in from day one and give us production off the bench, or step in and start if needed (something Poeltl or Sabonis would do since Vuc has yet to play a full season for us).

Watch a 14 year old play against 10 year old or a 17 year old play against 13 year olds. It might as well be an nba player playing against me.

There's a reason most youth leagues are separated by single years. Puberty hits and development is on an exponential curve until 21-23 when everyone slows down.

It's the same reason why there's no one and dones in football. Physical maturity.

Hammons is worth looking at in the second round but his inconsistent play is something to be concerned about.

So your saying that Tim Duncan did not improve in the NBA? I will take hammons skillset over ANY center in this draft. He steadily improved in college and will continue. He had to share minutes with the other 7 footer. That is why he had some lower number games. But when he played against the best big men he clearly outplayed them.

So your saying that Tim Duncan did not improve in the NBA? I will take hammons skillset over ANY center in this draft. He steadily improved in college and will continue. He had to share minutes with the other 7 footer. That is why he had some lowered numbers games. But when he played against the best big men he clearly outplayed them.

Duncan enrolled early in college. He was 20 during his senior year.

You can take hammons over every center in this draft if you want, but you'd be building a pretty bad team

I wish we were drafting earlier but were not so if we keep the pick I like to swing for the fences and if doesn't workout than oh well. My list would be...

Thon, Davis, Skal, Diello, Valentine would be good value here too.

Another scenario I think may happen is we trade the 11th pick and VUC for the 12th pick and Horford. (I'd much rather have Howard back but that's just me)

I wish we were drafting earlier but were not so if we keep the pick I like to swing for the fences and if doesn't workout than oh well. My list would be...

Thon, Davis, Skal, Diello, Valentine would be good value here too.

Another scenario I think may happen is we trade the 11th pick and VUC for the 12th pick and Horford. (I'd much rather have Howard back but that's just me)

your second scenario cant happen.

Duncan enrolled early in college. He was 20 during his senior year.

You can take hammons over every center in this draft if you want, but you'd be building a pretty bad team

Btw he is 23. And which center is better? Don't give me potential. They ALL have that!

Btw he is 23. And which center is better? Don't give me potential. They ALL have that!

he's 23 and 10 months, lets stop splitting hairs...

Hammons' best season was this season averaging 15 points and 8 rebounds per game.

Poeltl averaged 17 points and 9 rebounds per game and is more than 3 years younger.

Sabonis averaged almost 18 and 12 and is almost 4 years younger

potential matters too! there's historical data to show that college centers who are older than 22 on draft day aren't ever more than solid backups at best.

here's every center drafted older than 22 since 2003:

Bernard James

Colton Iverson

Miles Plumlee

Jerome Jordan

Cameron Bairstow

Hamady N'Diaye

Gorgui Dieng

Jeff Withey

Cady Lalanne

Sasha Kaun

Robert Sacre

Keith Benson

Festus Ezeli

Tyler Zeller

Lavoy Allen

JaJuan Johnson

Josh Harrellson

Hasheem Thabeet

Joakim Noah

Dexter Pittman

Chinemelu Elonu

Kyle O'Quinn

Solomon Alabi

Justin Hamilton

Frank Kaminsky

Fab Melo

Mike Muscala

Do you see a common theme here?

No he doesn't lol

Strong rebuttal. By your own logic, Zimmerman is a year younger and therefore has more room to improve than Poeltl. Their stats are similar from Freshman year except Poetlt was more efficient, likely due to the fact that he stays exclusively inside compared to Zimmerman who has the potential to be a stretch big. In addition to that, he is more mobile defensively on the perimeter without giving up any size or rim protection ability on Poeltl. But go ahead and cheer for a center with little upside when there are plenty of those on the FA market with actual NBA experience.