CTMagicUK

2016 NBA Draft Thread

You know who's kind of a suprise draft entry I wouldn't mind grabbing with a 2nd rounder? Caleb Swanigan.

The withdrawal date for early entry guys is May 25th. This is 5 weeks later than it was last year. So most of these players who are testing the waters are just doing so to get a taste of the draft, get some evaluations, and participate in the combine/workouts before the deadline date.

The withdrawal date for early entry guys is May 25th. This is 5 weeks later than it was last year. So most of these players who are testing the waters are just doing so to get a taste of the draft, get some evaluations, and participate in the combine/workouts before the deadline date.

Oh right I forgot that the early entry stuff had changed.

It'd be one thing if it was last year and there was Turner, Booker, or Payne

or 14 with saric and LaVine

But this is going to be like 2012 where we end up with Meyers Leonard, Jeremy Lamb, Kendall Marshall, Henson, Harkless, White, Zeller. I.e. maybe useful in a few years but not really anything you cant find in the second round or in free agency.

I get your point but there is just no way of knowing.

No one anticipated Klay being this good when he was picked 11. Or Paul George at 10. Or Kawhi at 15(!). We are unlikely to get a guy of that caliber, of course, but I would rather have the opportunity to

No one anticipated Klay being this good when he was picked 11. Or Paul George at 10. Or Kawhi at 15(!). We are unlikely to get a guy of that caliber, of course, but I would rather have the opportunity to

There is a way of knowing lol. We aren't summoning then from another dimension. You see things in their college game.

There is a way of knowing lol. We aren't summoning then from another dimension. You see things in their college game.

Yea but to Jason's point, seeing things in an 18-20 year old's college game doesn't always tell the whole story of how good or bad that player can be. Every scout in the NBA had a ton of film on Klay and he still went 11. Same with Kawhi at 15 and you could say this for every other player picked between 10-15 that got somewhat overlooked but ended up a star.

Not that were likely to find a player like that because the odds are slim, but for the most part we really don't know how good a player is always going to be just off of their college game.

Yea but to Jason's point, seeing things in an 18-20 year old's college game doesn't always tell the whole story of how good or bad that player can be. Every scout in the NBA had a ton of film on Klay and he still went 11. Same with Kawhi at 15 and you could say this for every other player picked between 10-15 that got somewhat overlooked but ended up a star.

Not that were likely to find a player like that because the odds are slim, but for the most part we really don't know how good a player is always going to be just off of their college game.

Sure, but those players end up there because there's a doubt that their production would translate. Thompson, Leonard, etc all had great college production. Gary Harris, Rodney hood, Draymond Green, etc all had numbers that provide context to their current success.

Most of the guys in this draft don't have numbers to give you any idea of their ceiling

what happened the last time we drafted at #11...hint it was 2005. Now let me go vomit.

what happened the last time we drafted at #11...hint it was 2005. Now let me go vomit.

I get the big letdown that was our 2005 selection, but I think it's a bit overstated. I mean, the next 5 picks completely sucked too. That draft was pretty miserable.

It's not like we took some random Intl player that didn't come over, and then the next 5 picks were all productive NBA players. No, the next 5 players sucked, than you had Granger whose career ended abruptly, followed by more no names than Jarrett Jack & Nate Robinson. I think Ellis went in the second round that year and Lee was one of the last picks of the first round. But I don't really see a glaring "wow how did we pass on this guy, he went with the next pick" situation.

• Upvote 1

I think we'll keep the pick and trade someone else if we need to make more cap room. The value of having a contributor on a rookie scale contract is too good to trade away.